DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rafe q&a today

Ralph

Lot of good tidbits Rafe mentioned. some are slightly concerning.  The viewership answer is a little worrisome, but I don't think Amazon can blame all that on the actual show performance.  

Also interesting is he said 206 was a favorite, but 207 will likely push alot of buttons on the fans because it features iconic moments but also lots of storytelling that was not part of the books

Screenshot_20230927-122301_X.jpg

it doesn't surprise me that 206 is his favourite as he's on record that Egwene is his favourite character from the books, and she stole the show in 206. 

I'm hopeful that we'll be over the moon with 207 if what I think is coming happens. He also mentioned Mat getting a moment in 208 that made him really happy which I'm looking forward to 

6 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

This reddit post has all the answers btw from both Rafe and Sarah

So if female channelers can't sense other female channelers who aren't actively embracing, how does the hunt for marathdamane work.  Do the Seanchan just have a bunch of damane with the Talent for sensing inactive channelers?  Would explain why that one damane is the one doing most of the checking.  

9 minutes ago, Samt said:

So if female channelers can't sense other female channelers who aren't actively embracing, how does the hunt for marathdamane work.  Do the Seanchan just have a bunch of damane with the Talent for sensing inactive channelers?  Would explain why that one damane is the one doing most of the checking.  

I think they are implying that they have certain Damane with the "Talent"  Hence why they had to wait for Miri to show up in Episode 3 to pick out the women.

2 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

Where do you get that from? Nothing is mentioned about it? 

Rid_matter: Will Moridin be In the show? I know. The Ishamael fella is more sane, but Moridin was a completely different character that presented a different set of challenges to the good guys

Rafe: We wove a lot of Moridin and his philosophy into Ishamael this season

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Rid_matter: Will Moridin be In the show? I know. The Ishamael fella is more sane, but Moridin was a completely different character that presented a different set of challenges to the good guys

Rafe: We wove a lot of Moridin and his philosophy into Ishamael this season

That is a non answer, so I am not taking as written then there is no moridin. 

I might be wrong, but the moridin arc is important in foreshadowing what happens to Rand at the end. 

Spoiler

Rafe: Yeah. And also beyond Covid. We knew right up front we’d have to do books 2 and 3 combined, because they have the same arc. So the end of 108 required us to throw a bunch of juggling balls up in the air and we need to very carefully land them all in their correct place by end of 208. So that all the characters have had the necessary experiences they need to do the story of Book 4. I think we achieve that, even including some of the unexpected swerves and gusts of wind we had to tackle.

So I don’t think we are getting tear in the way we do in the book. 

Spoiler

A: We can talk about battles after the season ends (maybe) but the biggest challenge was introducing the Seanchan AND the Aiel to the team, working through the big notable things about their cultures as well as the nuances of each & providing as much historical context as possible

This concerns me, we saw with Witcher what happened when you had a room full of writers who didn’t fully understand the IP. Now at least we have a show runner and key member of the writing team who do understand but if they are having to explain these key points it feels like the other writers maybe haven’t bothered reading the books? 

Silly phone that was meant to be quotes not spoilers. 

Edited by Scarloc99

35 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

That is a non answer, so I am not taking as written then there is no moridin. 

I might be wrong, but the moridin arc is important in foreshadowing what happens to Rand at the end. 

All true, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. 

5 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:
  Hide contents

Rafe: Yeah. And also beyond Covid. We knew right up front we’d have to do books 2 and 3 combined, because they have the same arc. So the end of 108 required us to throw a bunch of juggling balls up in the air and we need to very carefully land them all in their correct place by end of 208. So that all the characters have had the necessary experiences they need to do the story of Book 4. I think we achieve that, even including some of the unexpected swerves and gusts of wind we had to tackle.

So I don’t think we are getting tear in the way we do in the book. 

Hide contents

A: We can talk about battles after the season ends (maybe) but the biggest challenge was introducing the Seanchan AND the Aiel to the team, working through the big notable things about their cultures as well as the nuances of each & providing as much historical context as possible

This concerns me, we saw with Witcher what happened when you had a room full of writers who didn’t fully understand the IP. Now at least we have a show runner and key member of the writing team who do understand but if they are having to explain these key points it feels like the other writers maybe haven’t bothered reading the books? 

Silly phone that was meant to be quotes not spoilers. 

tear I had anyway assumed not, unless much later in a different way

where is the second quote from? team doesn't have to mean the writers and directors, they have tens of other people, some of whom may not read English

54 minutes ago, Scarloc99 said:

I am worried by the change to the 3 oaths 

“they are subjective to the individual” 

Does this mean in the TV show they can choose which 3 oaths they take? 

No, Sarah meant that the perception of "the last extreme defense of her own life, or the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai" is a subjective determination for each individual sister to make in the moment. Just like how they can say things that are untrue if they believe them to be true.

3 hours ago, Ralph said:

Callandor is going to be a hard thing for the show to do correctly, especially the whole 'flaw' bit. I'll be interested to see if they just ignore it and use the Choedan Kal instead. 

6 hours ago, Ralph said:

where is the second quote from? team doesn't have to mean the writers and directors, they have tens of other people, some of whom may not read English

It is one of Sarah’s comments above. 

5 hours ago, Kaleb said:

No, Sarah meant that the perception of "the last extreme defense of her own life, or the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai" is a subjective determination for each individual sister to make in the moment. Just like how they can say things that are untrue if they believe them to be true.

She was answering in relation to the 3rd oath not being the same as the books I thought? Might be wrong. 

On 9/28/2023 at 6:00 PM, Scarloc99 said:

She was answering in relation to the 3rd oath not being the same as the books I thought? Might be wrong. 

I didn't interpret it that way.  She was just saying that all of the oaths are always based on the Aes Sedai believing that she is keeping the oath.  That is consistent with how it is in the books.  We frequently see Aes Sedai waiting until they "feel" they are in danger.  At Dumai's Wells, we even have Aes Sedai intentionally putting themselves in danger in order to use the power in battle.  It's always just a question of the Aes Sedai believing that she is faithful to the oath.