DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 Episode 6: Eyes Without Pity

SinisterDeath

45 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

She hasn’t taken the oaths yet tho. 

29 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

One could go pedantic and argue that in a round about way, Liandrin has made a weapon of the one power, via enslaving Egwene and turning her into a weapon via the Seanchan.

aww, guys. did my poor joke really deserve to be killed this way?

• Community Administrator
13 minutes ago, Vartija said:

Could she even do it with the One Power considering the Oaths, or would the Warders have to do it when she ties him in air?

Book Oaths, yes. Because all she has to do is believe he was a dark friend and she could use the One Power as a weapon against him.

Show Oaths do not make mention of Dark Friends or Shadowspawn. So she couldn't just nuke him. But she can restrain him. If her warders killed him while restrained, that's not directly using the one power as a weapon.

30 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Show Oaths do not make mention of Dark Friends or Shadowspawn

Thats true. How is that going to work down the line. ?Why did the show not copy the book oaths directly ? (aside from "one man" to "one person". which makes sense in our modern world). 

This show continues to neglect most of the male characters.  Definitely needs some director or editor that specializes in action scenes.  The Aviendha fight was pretty badly edited, especially for fans of action movies like John Wick.

Basically Rand, Perrin, and Ishamael have been the most developed this season.  Lan is just a mess.  Ingtar is completely ignored, so how are they going to do his redemption arc. Ingtar has to get some spotlight in episode or his last stand will have no impact.

Rand doesn't know how to use a sword and has a blademaster battle coming up.  Although I saw in the trailer he channels right before the showdown with Turak.

Matt is ignored, but they are building up for his horn moment.  

Perrin and the Aiel will also be interesting to see how that fits in.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

wait, nobody is speaking of the incredible revelation of this episode!

when ryma asked if liandrin broke the oaths, elayne said "all of them". she lied, she used the power as a weapon outside of self-defence, but the third?

clearly it means liandrin has rediscovered how to craft power-wrought weapons! and she has crafted weapons off scene.

either that, or elayne lied, which means in this version of the story elayne is a darkfriend

🤣

Or, you know, Elayne hasn't been sworn as an Aes Sedai on the oath rod yet, and she can still lie like a domani fishwife?

I really enjoyed the episode; I thought everything in Falme was excellently done; unlike the Season 1 story with Steppin and turning a throwaway character into a story arc to show not tell, they were much more effective with Ryma (another throwawy line)

I'm less happy about the whole thing with Mat - with only 2 episodes left, they need to get him on track.

Lan still is the worst represented character on the show, and nothing they've tried with him has worked so far. 

They are going to need some kind of magic carpet to get Rand and Moiraine to Falme next episode.  And they can't use the basement that was in the books. 

Some big mid-game set ups coming in the next episode before the end of the season. Time is ticking.

39 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

I really enjoyed the episode; I thought everything in Falme was excellently done; unlike the Season 1 story with Steppin and turning a throwaway character into a story arc to show not tell, they were much more effective with Ryma (another throwawy line)

I'm less happy about the whole thing with Mat - with only 2 episodes left, they need to get him on track.

Lan still is the worst represented character on the show, and nothing they've tried with him has worked so far. 

They are going to need some kind of magic carpet to get Rand and Moiraine to Falme next episode.  And they can't use the basement that was in the books. 

Some big mid-game set ups coming in the next episode before the end of the season. Time is ticking.

Almost everyone seems to agree about Lan.  The magic carpet ride is easy..... portal stones or ways

• RP - PLAYER

You guys are so naive. We know now Moiraine is stilled, no, we know she thinks she is stilled, no, we know she is telling Siuan that she thinks she is stilled, or indeed, we know that she was going to, we never saw the final letter. Though maybe that is going a bit far. Did you guys never play the Daes Dae'mar at home? Pfft. Would not last a minute in the Scottish Royal Court, I tells ya.

Plus, another thing it looks like everyone is missing, everyone can see weaves. Visually, we can all see them, so it would be too much effort and too much - what, breaking of the fourth wall?, hmm, maybe not - to try and explain to audience that what you are seeing is only there for some people and not for others. Rand only channeled where it was hidden, not openly, whereas in the book only another male channeler would be able to see it. Here, everyone can see the weaves. I could be wrong as they never actually come out and say it, but rewatch and I am pretty sure you will agree.

Egwene was awsome, I like how they took one little aside, about how she could not wash for two days because she thought about hitting Renna with the wash pitcher, and then turned it into the whole training scene. It is so heart-breaking because you so want her to smash her with it once she can touch it, but of course that is the point, no bravery, no resistance, nothing can overcome it. I wonder if they will use the line later about how she wants to make one the Sul'dam feel as if she is in a cauldron of boiling water, and Nynaeve thinks that she is exaggerating, then realizes she is totally serious and why she wants to make her feel that. That was a line that really hit home in the book, while being completely understated. Though am I the only that thinks Renna is totally hot? I think I am sucker for the "I put my eye-liner on while drunk" look.

Did people not recognize Maighen's soft Scottish dulcet accent? I could barely hear what she was saying but I could recognize her voice, though yes, I am Scottish, perhaps an unfair advantage. Though possibly a reason to choose an actress with a distinctive accent for this role.

And about the Sul'dam dying, Renna at least repeats the book lore, that the damane will feel what the Sul'dam feels even unto death. Though was the books not ten-fold? Double seems wishy-washy. 

Am I asking too many questions? I feel like a hyperactive thirteen year old.

Are we there yet? Are we?

5 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Accept that Lan and his story is different and move on. I'm enjoying it so far

You know, when people watched GoT, the vast majority of watchers couldnt wait to see Joffrey get his...

Is it not ok if I cant wait to see this Lan get his?

The worst warder in the history of the tower. I cant wait to see him floating in a trolloc cook pot.

1 hour ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Plus, another thing it looks like everyone is missing, everyone can see weaves. Visually, we can all see them, so it would be too much effort and too much - what, breaking of the fourth wall?, hmm, maybe not - to try and explain to audience that what you are seeing is only there for some people and not for others. Rand only channeled where it was hidden, not openly, whereas in the book only another male channeler would be able to see it. Here, everyone can see the weaves. I could be wrong as they never actually come out and say it, but rewatch and I am pretty sure you will agree.

In S1E4(?) it is mentioned that men can't see women's weaves or the other way around. I think that hasn't been changed from the books. They only see when the weaves create physical/visual effects like fire and light. We as viewers see everything.

13 minutes ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Much the same as the interactions with some of the other Seanchan "exotics" and their handlers (morat') - pity they do not have the CGI budget to show these for comparison.

they can skip grolm and torm and those kinds, but seanchan are not the same without raken. i really hope they get included

We're not getting portal stones in this season. They're going to have Rand travel by T'A'R. This was set up when Lanfear showed him Egwene in the Dream. She mentioned you could travel through it. On the one hand there's the impression it was just while in the dream, but we know from the books that it is possible to go into T'A'R at one physical location and come out in another. Doing it this way makes more sense than pulling portal stones into it now, and portal stones kind of completely fall by the wayside in the books, too, in favor of T'A'R instead.

18 minutes ago, Agitel said:

We're not getting portal stones in this season. They're going to have Rand travel by T'A'R. This was set up when Lanfear showed him Egwene in the Dream. She mentioned you could travel through it. On the one hand there's the impression it was just while in the dream, but we know from the books that it is possible to go into T'A'R at one physical location and come out in another. Doing it this way makes more sense than pulling portal stones into it now, and portal stones kind of completely fall by the wayside in the books, too, in favor of T'A'R instead.

This is a great idea; especially if Lanfear is the one who opens it; Egwene sees and learns the weaves, and can use it to bounce around the waste. without figuring it out herself. So. win

11 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

The show has really leaned super hard into BDSM Dom/Sub territory with its depiction of the sul'dam/damane interaction, but also mixed in historical Master/Slave cruelty and dehumanization elements, which is both fascinating and horrifying.

Re: Liandrin, I don't remember her telling Verin that she was going to go to Caemlyn.

11 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

So it leaned into the books? 🤔🤪

Can not agree with this in the books The Damane are treated as prized livestock. They are wild animals that cannot be trusted and are collared for use.

If you think this is how BDSM Dom/sub relationships work then you really need to educate yourself.

9 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

That was Elayne though

3 hours ago, Storeebooq said:

Both of them could read Ter'Angreal. Nyneave in a different way, it was more feelings, impressions, and general thought son use. Elayne was more specific and technical. 

Aviendha was the one who could identify what Ter'angreal did. She identified the objects recovered from the store room (the dagger to hide from the dark, the libary in the wise man and the water maker). I thought Nynaeve only got a feeling of pain from the male a'dam. Elayne was able to make Ter'angreal.

Edited by Mailman