A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 Episode 5: Damane

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

This Topic. Is about Episode 5: Damane.

Not Sex Education.

• RP - PLAYER
4 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Speaking of lanfear falling for tricks, how did she track moiraine and rand to the stable and afterwards? If she could see them, she'd have taken them. Otherwise, for all her ancoent cunning, following track in the woods by night is not part of her skill set

Are they not in some rural backwater in the mountains? There may be only one reasonable escape route on horse back, and if you are looking for someone, checking the stables seems a reasonable thing to do whether you know they have gone there or not.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

Speaking of lanfear falling for tricks, how did she track moiraine and rand to the stable and afterwards? If she could see them, she'd have taken them. Otherwise, for all her ancoent cunning, following track in the woods by night is not part of her skill set

Moiraine has a tell. 🫠

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

but then Lanfear would have been less likely to fall for the trick

and as someone pointed out, leading a riderless horse slows one down

I suppose its a question of whether you are after long term speed or a burst. Sending the 4th horse with the woman would have made it harder to follow as well since it would be 2 set of 2 horse tracks. Incredibly lucky for Lanfear that the other guy showed up.

3 hours ago, Ralph said:

but then Lanfear would have been less likely to fall for the trick

and as someone pointed out, leading a riderless horse slows one down

Yes, leading a riderless horse at speed, in the dark, isn't that easy. More so with completely strange horses. Not all ride and lead well.

Moiraine could have used her sword to cut the girths and bridles, assuming Lanfear is unlikely to be good enough to ride bridleless and bareback on a random horse who isn't trained to work bridleless.

Edited by Gypsum

4 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

Are they not in some rural backwater in the mountains? There may be only one reasonable escape route on horse back, and if you are looking for someone, checking the stables seems a reasonable thing to do whether you know they have gone there or not.

This exactly.  I don't know why, but I also pictured that cabin as sitting on a high bluff somewhere and the only way down is past the stables, but that's my own imagination at work.  Either way, it was less about tracking and more about the logical destination Rand and Moiraine would take.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:23 AM, A Memory Of Why said:

Liking Moraine with her family, Barthaines seems to innocent to be a dark friend though. It feels like it will be moved to her sister, though I'm guessing the Queen. Need a reason to kick off the civil war, well probably be meeting the Queen in the next two eps and having her be a DF as an excuse to kill her this season before the marriage.. etc.

I'm liking this! Since they're changing so many characters (Uno was definitely not Uno, Lan's so not Lan, Aviendha seems more like Bain or Chiad, etc), I see no reason for them to NOT further confumble us bookies about characters and what they are ... LoL

On 9/15/2023 at 10:23 AM, A Memory Of Why said:

Liking Moraine with her family, Barthaines seems to innocent to be a dark friend though. It feels like it will be moved to her sister, though I'm guessing the Queen. Need a reason to kick off the civil war, well probably be meeting the Queen in the next two eps and having her be a DF as an excuse to kill her this season before the marriage.. etc.

My guess is that the Queen will die some time after the wedding.  Barty has a good enough claim to keep ruling.

On 9/18/2023 at 9:42 AM, Vartija said:

And yes, I did notice Liandrin using horses in the Ways. I guess you can explain it that Loial just cared more for horses' safety and wouldn't risk them in the Ways, but probably it's just storytelling convenience.    

We know from the books Loial was against any use of the Ways and pushed their dangers. It might just be that Liandrin can use compulsion or some other weave to protect the horses that an Ogier or others (not black Ajah) would not or could not use. 

9 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I would imagine it is a choice of following the trail up the mountain or down the mountain.

4 hours ago, Rhaze said:

I would imagine it is a choice of following the trail up the mountain or down the mountain.

14 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

how does she know they didn't just pick a random direction in the woods, got just far enough to not be visible from the house, and hide there? it's what they ended up doing eventually.

and unless they were in a place surrounded on 3 sides by sheer cliffs with only a narrow route of access (admittedly, given the scenery prevalent in the show, it's not too unlikely), it should be possible to just cut through the woods. yes, it's dangerous to walk in the woods by night like that, but nowhere near as dangerous as picking the obvious escape route against a forsaken.

then again, moiraine knew she could find horses at the stable, and knew lanfear would not find horses, so it's not a bad plan. they just got unlucky.

but wait, if lanfear knew there was a stable there, and she knew they were running there, she could have traveled. instead she got there by foot, so she was tracking them.

i mean, if she does not know where they are going, she can try to track them - by night, without any skill at it. if she does know where they are going, she can use a gateway.

but ok, it's only a very minor plot hole, and the scene was powerful

On 9/18/2023 at 11:31 AM, notpropaganda73 said:

I enjoyed the episode overall but just to address one of the criticisms - isn't it obvious that Aviendha was absolutely taking the piss out of Perrin? And even when she said something like "But I would not be opposed" or something after laughing, isn't that just very on-brand for Aiel, especially Maidens? 

Yes it should be quite obvious!

I must say I love this Avi, though I don't think she's much like book Avi. More like Bain or Chiad.

10 minutes ago, Elgee said:

Yes it should be quite obvious!

I must say I love this Avi, though I don't think she's much like book Avi. More like Bain or Chiad.

She really makes me think of Chani from Dune, especially the way Zendaya plays her, really wondering if that was a big influence to the writers, or the actress. 

• RP - PLAYER

Early days though, as this is spear sister Aviendha (so makes sense that she is like the other Far Dareis Mai) who hardly appears in the books. We will still have to see "I don't want to be a Wise One" Avi, "Really grumpy because I don't want be a Wise One" Avi, "Studious little suck-up" Avi, "Existential angst" Avi and "I actually am a Wise One" Avi. Just to name a few. Unless the show, for the visuals, keeps her in the cadinsor, which would be more entertaining, but would be wrong, probably.

• 2 weeks later...

“Moghedien, Graendal  and the boys”

So says Lanfear in reference to the remaining Forsaken. There has been much speculation that there will be fewer Forsaken in the show than in the books so does this mean that Semirhage and Messanna are out? 

Edited by The_Watcher_And_Wanderer

9 minutes ago, The_Watcher_And_Wanderer said:

“Moghedien, Graendal  and the boys”

So says Lanfear in reference to the remaining Forsaken. There has been much speculation that there will be fewer Forsaken in the show than in the books so does this mean that Semirhage and Messanna are out? 

As with much else, WAFO.

5 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

As with much else, WAFO.

I guess I should have expected that LOL

in Season 1 one of the Warders had some totems of the Forsaken and there were 8 of them so some people speculate that there will only be 8 Forsaken in the show. This, of course, is hardly ironclad as it’s possible he just didn’t have a complete set 🤷  At this point I suppose it’s all up in the air and the writers could potentially write any of them into future seasons whether they currently plan to or not (things change). However, as they have already missed their big scene I’m guessing Aginor and Balthamel are out. Honestly I think they could easily lose Semi but I hope Mesanna will reprise her role from the books. I would love to see Danelle introduced fairly early on and see how they handle her character. 

On 9/14/2023 at 11:20 PM, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

"the boys" not "the twins" - presumably Samael, Demandred and Asmodean as hinted in the figurines in S1.  

I agree but there were eight Figurines so there’s room for one more. If the other girls are out I’m betting on Rhavin.  Aginor and Balthamel have already missed their big scene and Be’lal was always a throw away character. 

33 minutes ago, The_Watcher_And_Wanderer said:

I agree but there were eight Figurines so there’s room for one more. If the other girls are out I’m betting on Rhavin.  Aginor and Balthamel have already missed their big scene and Be’lal was always a throw away character. 

Sounds right. Seems like maybe Lanfear is going to get the Mesaana role. It will be interesting to see. 

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Sounds right. Seems like maybe Lanfear is going to get the Mesaana role. It will be interesting to see. 

Seems most likely though I doubt she will meet the same ultimate fate as Mesaana with will change things quite  a bit. It also makes me wonder is this will leave room for her captivity by the Fins and the emergence of Cyndane. Honestly I don’t think there will be any transmigrated Forsaken. Obviously with no Aginor and Balthamel there can be no Osan-gar and Aran-gar. I doubt Cyndane and Moriden will appear as they probably don’t want to change actors, and frankly I don’t want them to LOL