DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How will they do the end of season 2?

bluetear111

So for a bit of context, i am loving season two so far, i think this is a massive step up on season one in so many ways.

But after watching episode three it got me thinking, how are they going to shoot the end of season two? Im thinking more specifically the 'horn of valere being blown' and the 'battle in the skies'? I think, especially the battle in the skies, if it is not done right, there could be a fine line between it looking great, but also looking a bit, silly?

Maybe especially for non-book readers who are just watching the show.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are, will they keep close to the books, and if so is there a way to make it look cool and not silly? Or will they change it to something safer?

The Heroes of the Horn emerging from fog while Rand and Ishy duel in the sky, apparently using some form of Illusion so they are somehow enlarged and clearly visible to all in the city... It's great on the page, but yeah, I don't know how they could pull that off without veering hard into some cringy CGI.

I think they will keep things normal-sized and on the ground in a crowded battlefield, and rely on rumor to exaggerate the scene and confuse the news of it, much like in the book. But...

They have already had Verin talk about a battle in the skies, and the production team has already started bragging about how epic the finale is, so maybe they have something really surprising and great. 

Edited by Kaleb

• Community Administrator
2 hours ago, Wassup said:

Maybe a bit of a tangent from the topic…

I wonder how they are going to bring everything together and conclude it in 4 episodes without feeling rushed?  I think even 10 episodes in a season would be a tight fit. 

Well, we know Rand, Moiraine, Logain, and Siuan (via trailer) are all in Cairhien.
Rand will probably find out about what's going on out west via Siuan. 
Hopefully we'll get a flicker-flicker scene with Rand & Moiraine as they head west.
Lan is probably heading full tilt to Cairhien to protect Moiraine... he might miss her before they go flicker flicker.

Siuan & Logain will probably head back to the Tower where her plot line might end with her getting thrown in Prison.

I don't know if Mat & Min are heading to Cairhien or Toman Head, which ever it is they'll probably meet up with Rand at one of those two places before the Finale.

I’m curious about this too. For some unknown reason I figured the sky battle from the books wasn’t gonna happen as a sky battle on screen. The eventual gathering of key characters culminating in some climactic event was still something I expected or at least anticipated including the incorporation of horn stuff. As mentioned by @Kaleb verin  mentioned the prophecy about a battle in the sky so now I’m wondering how that will look and really interested to see what the show does with it and how it handles everything for the 4 episodes that are left in remainder of the season. Also wondering if/how the capture in TGH by the suldam of one of the main characters might play out. A lot of ground to cover in 4 episodes!

Edited by Lightfriendsocialmistress

There are a lot of ways it can go.  I have some ideas.

First, I just have a hunch that they are going to combine Falme and Tear and we will see a battle that culminates in the capture of the Stone.  Piggybacking on that, I think that they will make the Rand/Ishy fight take place on the top of the Stone so that they are visible to all.

I don't know how they will do the heroes but I hope they aren't a ghostly fog/mist like the Army of the Dead in the LotR movies.

17 hours ago, Mirefox said:

There are a lot of ways it can go.  I have some ideas.

First, I just have a hunch that they are going to combine Falme and Tear and we will see a battle that culminates in the capture of the Stone.  Piggybacking on that, I think that they will make the Rand/Ishy fight take place on the top of the Stone so that they are visible to all.

I don't know how they will do the heroes but I hope they aren't a ghostly fog/mist like the Army of the Dead in the LotR movies.

ahhh that great green fog that insta kills everyone, one of the changes to the books I understand but still really don't like, in the books the army of the dead is used to win the corsair ships that Aragorn then rides to minas tirth, it is said that they win that fight mainly through fear (somehow seeing an army of the dead walk up made he corsairs run away). Jackson decided he needed to make more of that and turned it into a whole battle between Aragorn and the king and then the dead actually killing everyone. really hope they don't do that

I also wonder. Will we see actual figures given that whoever plays the heroes will need to be wiling to come back in season 8? Has Birgitte been cast, this might be a little easter eg reveal we get here, before we then see her in, I guess season 3? appearing in the world of dreams. 

Edited by Scarloc99

1 minute ago, Ralph said:

https://www.wotseries.com/2023/09/09/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-and-season-3-cast-updates/

listed all those credited in final four episodes (not reliable), Includes Amaresu and Lews Therin but not Birgitte. 

it does seem likely they will have her there, since they had the doll in s1

Might be an un credited role I would imagine it might be a blink and you miss it thing so could just be a view from the back of an extra or stuntwomen. 

They should totally do this bit:

As the tall ship crept toward the harbor mouth, a figure on horseback suddenly appeared around the cliffs skirting the harbor. Riding across the water. Min's mouth fell open. Silver glittered as the figure raised a bow; a streak of silver lanced to the boxy ship, a gleaming line connecting bow and ship. With a roar she could hear even at that distance, fire engulfed the foretower anew, and sailors rushed about the deck.

Edited by mogi68
fixed quote

5 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Did she get a nerf after that or did she just not have access to some special arrows?

Think it was some special Horn linked arrows that she didn't have when she was in the real world, and in the last battle she probably didn't need them as much given she was fighting next to Elayne keeping her safe. 

On 9/14/2023 at 2:38 PM, mogi68 said:

They should totally do this bit:

Part of the problem, at least from a storytelling point of view, is that you don't want to turn power creep into some sort of Deus ex Machina.  In a sense, they've already done this with the girls, especially Nyn, in season 1 where they could do unbelievably powerful things to serve the story and then fall back on some excuse like they could only do it under pressure or linked, or whatever.  Fine, but I think it would be dumb to do this too much.  If they do it with Birgitte, then have to scale her back later, you're using the same technique you used with the girls.  

12 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Did she get a nerf after that or did she just not have access to some special arrows?

7 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

Think it was some special Horn linked arrows that she didn't have when she was in the real world, 

IMO it's probably more a function of TAR overlapping with the waking world than a kind of special ammunition. There is also the matter of her horse running on water