DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai aging

DigificWriter

1 minute ago, DigificWriter said:

And I think you're ignoring the show's clear demonstration that she does have some redeemable qualities.

We're clearly at loggerheads here and just going around in circles, so it's probably best to just amicably agree to disagree and move on.

🙂

It is a WAFO thing, and either one of us could be right, or it could lie somewhere in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Scarloc99 said:

It is a WAFO thing, and either one of us could be right, or it could lie somewhere in the middle.

Which means the writers are doing their jobs. I note that more of the conversation in here this season is speculating about motives and exploring questions that have been raised on screen. That's good writing...

2 hours ago, DigificWriter said:

Steering this discussion back a bit closer to my original topic, I'm wondering if anybody else besides me would like to try formulating a general timeline for Moiraine, Siuan, Alanna, and Liandrin's personal histories within the context of what the show has presented.

I think that would be great but dont think we have enough info yet.  Maybe Lan Mo storyline in next few episodes will make that possible.

6 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Which means the writers are doing their jobs. I note that more of the conversation in here this season is speculating about motives and exploring questions that have been raised on screen. That's good writing...

It is, I think it also proves the point some of us made that if season 1 had solved the tv making issues, production, editing, effects, dialogue and the actors getting hold of their characters then the changes can all be largely ignored by most, I realised today thinking about it I don't believe there has been a single moment of straight up "Exposition" in season 2, the information has all been provided organically in conversations that feel real and genuine with no lines that feel out of place because it was a character saying something just for the audience. 

Feeding into the original question I think that is one of the reasons why we can't pinpoint a timeframe here in terms of ages is that none of the characters have sat there and reeled off a personal history, or given details that make no sense for the scene in that moment. 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:57 PM, Guire said:

Good info.  I wonder if her extra years were spent as novice/accepted or if she had  few decades as full Aes Sedai.  I also wonder if Liandrin and Moraine had kind of weird Dom/sub relationship as part of Moraines training.  If Liandrin is slightly older and became Aes Sedai earlier she may have been working to get Mo to reach her full potential similar to her mentorship of Nynaeve.  Mo would also have been a highly sought after recruit for black ajah because of strength and family background.

I believe this is true as I recall in season 1 when Nyv is talking to Liandrin. Luandrin talks about Moriane and it was like her and Moriane might have been friends until Moriane chose the Blue Aji.

On 9/12/2023 at 5:37 AM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Interesting insights. So in your view, is liandrins narcissism/self interest entirely complete or when you say that you think she does have feelings for moiraine and nyn in show that you think she’s capable of experiencing genuine feelings for others, at least on some level? And what do you make of her emotional reactions in other scenarios such as her son?  Do you buy it or do you suspect that she has no capacity for authentic displays of emotion and rather is putting on a performance based on her own personal motivations? I’ve heard convincing opinions on both sides but I’m not certain yet of the current intent of her character 

I believe she has feelings toward them were more about the power they possess. She feels that to be any other aji besides red is a waste of talent. She pretty much indicated that when she was talking to Nyv. Also during Moriane talks about Nyv with Liandrin  it seems like bad blood bc of choices Moriane made.

3 hours ago, Sunkiss said:

I believe this is true as I recall in season 1 when Nyv is talking to Liandrin. Luandrin talks about Moriane and it was like her and Moriane might have been friends until Moriane chose the Blue Aji.

So Liandrin at this point might have been of the black so possibly when they where accepted Liandrin was trying to recruit moiraine? 

• 2 weeks later...