DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heroes of the Horn

Guire

On youtube season 2 episode 4 promo trailer at minute :54, it appears to be Mat on left side of screen leading charge against Seanchan across sea fort parapet.  The group he is leading appears blurred with different clothing, armor, and weapons.  Heroes of Horn sighting? No obvious Rand or Mat.

I am going to rewatch episodes a few more times before any other comments.  Not enough benadryl to stop itch from current nits over running me.

On 9/1/2023 at 8:35 PM, Guire said:

On youtube season 2 episode 4 promo trailer at minute :54, it appears to be Mat on left side of screen leading charge against Seanchan across sea fort parapet.  The group he is leading appears blurred with different clothing, armor, and weapons.  Heroes of Horn sighting? No obvious Rand or Mat.

I am going to rewatch episodes a few more times before any other comments.  Not enough benadryl to stop itch from current nits over running me.

I also caught a glimpse of something in one of the promos that made me think it was the heroes of the horn

On 9/1/2023 at 10:35 PM, Guire said:

At this point in the season, the literary gymnastics that it will take to get Mat leading a charge will be whiplash-inducing.

8 hours ago, Mirefox said:

At this point in the season, the literary gymnastics that it will take to get Mat leading a charge will be whiplash-inducing.

in the very first episode, when the trollocs stormed emond field, mat threw himself out of a safe hiding spot to look for his sisters. mmat can definitely lead charges, even his show version

2 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Why? He's traveling right now. 

Not because of his physical location but because of his characterization.  Yes, in E1 he risked danger to save his sisters.  Since then, he’s either been a coward or a non-presence.

i completely understand that there were issues with the actor but when Mat watched all his friends enter the Ways then just stood there and left them to their fate, it was such an act of cowardice that I don’t see how they pivot from that to Mat leading a charge into battle, especially with about 10 minutes of screen time doing almost nothing this season.  I can’t wait for Mat the hero but they’ve put him in a spot where it currently doesn’t make sense.

1 minute ago, Mirefox said:

Not because of his physical location but because of his characterization.  Yes, in E1 he risked danger to save his sisters.  Since then, he’s either been a coward or a non-presence.

i completely understand that there were issues with the actor but when Mat watched all his friends enter the Ways then just stood there and left them to their fate, it was such an act of cowardice that I don’t see how they pivot from that to Mat leading a charge into battle, especially with about 10 minutes of screen time doing almost nothing this season.  I can’t wait for Mat the hero but they’ve put him in a spot where it currently doesn’t make sense.

So WAFO.

The arc has been set in motion. Clearly, they are going to pay it off. You seem invested in assuming that they won't be able to do it well. If you've been paying attention though, Mat is struggling with his cowardice. Liandrin's little speech had the opposite effect of what she wanted - it got him thinking about what kind of man he wants to be. He almost talked to Egwene. (Progress) And now he has formed a bond with Min. (Emotional hook) I suspect that finding one or both of them in danger will be the catalyst for him to finally do something.

8 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

So WAFO.

The arc has been set in motion. Clearly, they are going to pay it off. You seem invested in assuming that they won't be able to do it well. If you've been paying attention though, Mat is struggling with his cowardice. Liandrin's little speech had the opposite effect of what she wanted - it got him thinking about what kind of man he wants to be. He almost talked to Egwene. (Progress) And now he has formed a bond with Min. (Emotional hook) I suspect that finding one or both of them in danger will be the catalyst for him to finally do something.

Also in the books he was constantly trying to avoid conversations that he should have, so that bit was very Mat, I also don't think Mat is being "cowardly" he made a choice at the portal, we have not seen why that choice was made, I imagine his explanation will come at some point this season when he meets up with Rand and Perrin. 

• RP - PLAYER

And remember Liandrin was editing the mail to the folks from EF so that Mat was feeling left out, as if he had been abandoned for his abandonment. So of course he has been feeling distanced from everyone. I cannot imagine that it would take much for Mat to find his inner hero

On 9/19/2023 at 11:22 AM, Mirefox said:

Mat was always an accidental and reluctant hero, in the books he spent more time trying to avoid responsibility and being a hero than anything else.  He always stepped up when he thinks someone else needs saving, and the show is being true to that too. Avoiding a crying Egwene is right in character. 

15 minutes ago, Windigo said:

Mat was always an accidental and reluctant hero, in the books he spent more time trying to avoid responsibility and being a hero than anything else.  He always stepped up when he thinks someone else needs saving, and the show is being true to that too. Avoiding a crying Egwene is right in character. 

Everyone in their right mind should avoid a crying Egwene...