DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoT Season 2 Episode 2: Strangers and Friends

• Community Administrator

This is the topic for Season 2, Episode 2: Strangers and Friends 

Director: Thomas Napper

Writers: Katherine B. McKenna / Rafe Judkins

This topic is for discussing Episode 2 only. You should expect to encounter Full Spoilers Up To Episode 2, and full book spoilers on this topic.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Uno bloody Nomesta. 

He found a horn alright, poor bugger.

Isn't Elayne lovely, quite liking her so far. I scoffed when she brought her bedroom with he and gave a satisfied nod when she got in trouble for it. 

So we're humanising Liandrin now.. if I didn't know better I'd think she's not evil and just a B.

Not sure how I feel about Perins "I can smell the past" vissions. Last episode made me think he was getting sent the visions from wolves..

Liked this episode better than the first but over all looking good.

32 minutes ago, A Memory Of Why said:

So we're humanising Liandrin now.. if I didn't know better I'd think she's not evil and just a B.

Have they confirmed an Elaida casting for later seasons? Is it possible they will be combined? Elaida definitely isn’t as evil as Liandrin, but if they combine them who knows what level of evil they give the character.

33 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Hurin's powers combined with wolf powers?

Maybe, but neither one has visions..

Honestly, if I can turn my brain off I'd say it looks cool and I like it. But turning it back on I don't understand, it made sense and would be cool if it was wolf talk, but it doesn't feel like that..

Maybe it's due to his connection to TAR? Instead of him having prophetic visions in TAR.. or on top of.. I don't know.

I reckon we're going to have some teaching moments coming up soon, we'll see if it gets explained.

21 minutes ago, Samt said:

Have they confirmed an Elaida casting for later seasons? Is it possible they will be combined? Elaida definitely isn’t as evil as Liandrin, but if they combine them who knows what level of evil they give the character.

Pretty sure Rafe confirmed Elaida will be in the show, don't think it's this season though.

5 minutes ago, Seaine's eyebrows said:

Also, how are the Seanchan in Shienar? Am I missing something..?

It's been a few months since the end of last season (5?) with Perrin and co chasing Fain. I'd guess they're in Arad Doman which boarders Saldaea.

26 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

Yes, they smell and know things. How exactly would that work on screen?

I've thought about this and understand it's difficult for a visual medium.

I did like the way the movie American Warewolf in Paris sis it, as a kind of aura like effect with different colors as different smells - as an example.

Like yeah, Hurin can smell violence and Perrin has heightened senses and can smell emotions but It just feels weird how he can "smell" a girl getting kidnapped.

Honestly, I'm not arguing here. Just confused, which isn't necessarily a bad thing and as I said we most likely have some explanations coming.

8 minutes ago, A Memory Of Why said:

Isn't Falme in Arod Doman?

Falme is between Arad Doman and Tarabon. But yeah that makes sense, it has been months after all, they could have made it that far.

Edit: I forgot about the battle they have in Falme (may or may not be drunk right now 🤭), so yeah def makes sense for them to have made their way there by now.

Edited by Seaine's eyebrows

35 minutes ago, Seaine's eyebrows said:

Falme is between Arad Doman and Tarabon. But yeah that makes sense, it has been months after all, they could have made it that far.

Just looked at the map and you are correct, Falme is in Amoth Plains, and if I remember correctly, it is contested lands for Arad Doman and Tarrabon?

Cheers 🍻 

Pretty good episode... the Shienarians were pretty great in combat too and we finally got to see the power of Loail too.  Perrin is definitely becoming more interesting.  I thought maybe he could only see events that wolves saw, but maybe it is something deeper with the dreamworld he is able to see.

The Seanchan soldiers look fantastic but I don't really like that the damane have baby pacifiers.  

Seeing the fade on the wall was a great callback to the books.  

We are getting references to blademasters in the insane asylum with Errol, but Tand is going to need more that for his fight with Turok.

Verin is spot on and loved her confrontation with Moiraine and references of the dragon.  

Liandrin's forbidden son is quite interesting as well. I'm glad they are referencing the anti aging effects of channeling. I wonder what man knocked her up and made her hate the male race so much.  

Also, how we forget the reference to Cadsuane?

2 hours ago, A Memory Of Why said:

Maybe, but neither one has visions..

Honestly, if I can turn my brain off I'd say it looks cool and I like it. But turning it back on I don't understand, it made sense and would be cool if it was wolf talk, but it doesn't feel like that..

Maybe it's due to his connection to TAR? Instead of him having prophetic visions in TAR.. or on top of.. I don't know.

I reckon we're going to have some teaching moments coming up soon, we'll see if it gets explained.

Since Rand isn't there to have his "flicker flicker flicker" moment, they put it on Perrin instead and added to the sniffer powers, and combined those powers with the wolfbrother.  it makes sense.  They simply made the sniffer a little more powerful.  Not only do they smell violence, but they can smell how violence was performed.  And their brains process it in the form of a vision of what happened.  

3 hours ago, A Memory Of Why said:

Just looked at the map and you are correct, Falme is in Amoth Plains, and if I remember correctly, it is contested lands for Arad Doman and Tarrabon?

Cheers 🍻 

🙂

Yes, it's no man's land between them and they do fight over it. But I think Falme being a city/large town in its own right keeps it from being conquered by one nation or the other.

• Community Administrator
7 hours ago, A Memory Of Why said:

Assuming I'm not merging episodes

Spoiler

We caught her in a lie. When she was reading the letter to mat. She purposely said that the letter did not mention him.
Even had she read the line that mentioned him to herself, she would know what she said was a lie. 

That said, I don't know that it's so much as humanizing her, as it's motivating her towards her towards who she's working for. 

We finally got a look at what would happen... if an Aes Sedai had a child and... out lived them.

25 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:
8 hours ago, A Memory Of Why said:

Assuming I'm not merging episodes

Hide contents

We caught her in a lie. When she was reading the letter to mat. She purposely said that the letter did not mention him.
Even had she read the line that mentioned him to herself, she would know what she said was a lie. 

That said, I don't know that it's so much as humanizing her, as it's motivating her towards her towards who she's working for. 

We finally got a look at what would happen... if an Aes Sedai had a child and... out lived them.

Yep, I was more pointing out how non-book fans may perceive her at this point.

Kinda liking Liandrins portrayl, what's her name is doing an amazing job.

Ep 3 spoiler:

Spoiler

She's definitely suss, I'm now thinking she's upset she lost a black ajah recruit with Nyn, and how she could be punished.

Edited by A Memory Of Why