DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone have a good series or novel to recommend?

Guest Cadsuane

I think you should read MY copy of the Shannara trilogy. It's missing the text on every page except the first and last chapter. 8)

Try reading Neal Stephenson. I especially recommend Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon. Snow Crash is sci-fi, and Crypto is a modern-day story with WWII flashbacks and some computer-science/information age drama/action. Diamond Age and Zodiac are perfectly fine, but not excellent.

Guest Cadsuane

Sure, but I'll be removing all the secret goodies from inside before I send it. :wink:

Have you read the Kushiel books??

Guest Cadsuane

Hehehe, nope, secret goodies are mine to keep! But thank you for your interest. 8)

Kushiel's Avatar, K's Chosen, K's Dart, by Jacqueline Carey. Woman named Phedre trained to be a courtesan/spy, enjoys pain.

On the Stephenson front, I also recommend The Baroque Cycle. Very, very, very hardcore though, and not a fast read. Jack Shaftoe is a brilliant character though.

I'm going to throw Christopher Priest into the mix. A wonderful writer who used to be a bit hard to find, but since they made The Prestige into a movie he's gotten easier to track down. The Separation is a better book though.

I'd also recommend Richard Morgan, Iain M. Banks, Alastair Reynolds and Peter F. Hamilton on the SF side of things, and Guy Gavriel Kay, Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Pat Rothfuss and JV Jones on the Fantasy side. Bernard Cornwell and George MacDonald Fraser if your taste runs into historical fiction.

Guest Cadsuane
On the Stephenson front' date=' I also recommend [b']The Baroque Cycle[/b]. Very, very, very hardcore though, and not a fast read. Jack Shaftoe is a brilliant character though.
I started Quicksilver last summer, but I haven't been able to make it all the way through. I finally gave up a couple months ago and took it off my nightstand, about 2/5 of the way through.

It's a tough book, one of the toughest I ever read. The problem is that Parts One and Three (of Quicksilver) are kind of plotless, just lots of character-building and history. It's not until you get to Part Two and Jack Shaftoe's story that something resembling a plot kicks in.

You can actually read Part Two as a stand-alone story though, which is pretty cool.

Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

I'm kind of hesitant to recommend this. But Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard is pretty good, crappy names and all! :lol: I'm hesitant to reccomend it because L. Ron Hubbard is the nutjob who invented scientology. But it is still a good book.

Richard Morgan's trilogy about XXVI century world.

"Altered Carbon"

"Broken Angels"

"Woken Furies"

Fast action' date=' gun fights, space travels, hi-tech stuff and very, very good plot ![/quote']

Yep, Morgan is great and the Kovacs Trilogy is excellent. His new book, Black Man (published as Thirteen in the USA) is much, much better though. One of the best SF novels published in the last decade, IMO. It's out in a few weeks time.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Terry Pratchett or Neil gaiman yet.

American Gods is one of the best books I've ever read, Good Omens might be the best book I've ever read, and Discworld *is* the best satirical fantasy series ever written

Guest Egwene

If you are going for Terry Pratchett... maybe best to start with one of the later ones... I have read and love most of them, but still can't get into the first one. My favourites are the ones with DEATH and Granny Weatherwax. And Thud was fantastic.

well you see there's this one series, 11 books out at the time 'bout this wheel......oops

okay, but seriosly, I reccomend The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Mucketeers by Alexander Dumas, pretty fast reads.

But if you don't like oldies i mean you got Micheal Crighton with timeline ( movie does the book bout 1/2 credit) Next, pretty schweet, and then Prey, which is my current book, and also State of Fear another awesome book. Or if you like Star Wars I reccomend Timothy Zahn who has The Outbound Flightand the Thrawn Trilogy, both are great.

Archived