DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's new power after the Last Battle

The last book's conclusion saw Rand al' Thor successfully recreating the Dark One's Prison through a powerful weaving of Saidin, Saidar, and True Power. The end product of which is described as pure light whose brilliance even the Dark One cannot withstand. As Rand sealed the Lord of Darkness as it was done in ages past and in ages that will still come, it became clear that Shadowkiller's life is also draining away. At the end, Rand was able to switch psyche, transferring his soul, his consciousness, his whole being to the body of Moridin and vice versa which eventually saved his life from certain death. As he rode south to begin a new life, a life of travelling and carefree wandering Rand realized that he can no longer touch the True Source and he can no longer channel the One Power. However, he also realized that he had a newfound power, a power that creates through his will. 

It is implied that the reason Rand can no longer channel is because during his fight against the Dark One he was burned out due to the stupendous amount of the power he wielded and possibly even Moridin was burned out as well. But his new-found power can be attributed to the fact that Rand as a consequence of his victory against the Dark One and the saving of creation was then granted Creator-level power becoming effectively an Avatar of the Creator himself.

The scope of Rand's new powers are very broad indeed because by simply willing something or anything to happen, that something can become a real thing. Anything that he wills can come into existence even those that are not part of the Pattern. Somehow Rand has transcended the Wheel of Time.

14 hours ago, Knive Rayn Jaebril said:

At the end, Rand was able to switch psyche, transferring his soul, his consciousness, his whole being to the body of Moridin and vice versa which eventually saved his life from certain death.

It is heavily implied that the transfer is achieved by the renegade damane for whom Min prophesies "she is going to help you die" not by Rand himself.

4 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

It is heavily implied that the transfer is achieved by the renegade damane for whom Min prophesies "she is going to help you die" not by Rand himself.

Whoa, what?  I totally missed that.  I had assumed that Alivia fulfills the viewing by preparing Rand's bug out bag after his funeral.  That always seemed like a pretty lame way to fulfill the viewing, but I didn't see any hints that Alivia was involved in the sould transfer.  What did I miss?  

2 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

The viewing was "she is going to help you die" - I think that requires a bit more than grabbing a horse, cash etc.  

Oh, I definitely agree on that front. I don’t think it’s a good fulfillment of the viewing. I’m just wondering if there is any textual evidence that she has any hand in the body switch. That’s definitely a better fulfillment of the viewing. I just don’t remember it being supported beyond it fitting the viewing.

You forgot the part about Rand bringing out Moridin from Shayul Gul cave and as he blacks out he hears encouragement from "a woman in Aiel clothing", who is heavily implied to be a mysterious Nakomi, who Harriet identified as either Creator herself or his Agent. Furthermore, multiple Prophecies that fans speculated about ended up being minor nothingburgers such as the one about Jahar Narishma, Rand bending a knee before Suon, so Alivia got relegated to collecting supplies for Rand.

Rand's mysterioius new "power" did at the start puzzle me, but then, this re-read, I paid attention to what he's doing in the void with the Dark One. He gets his hands dirty, so to speak, directly fiddling with the Pattern, moving things around, just so he can put on a light show as good as the Dark One's horror show.

So he's got experience once he's out of the Bore, out of Shayol Ghul, in directly handling the threads of the Pattern. He doesn't need to be Ta'veren any more, so he isn't. He doesn't need access to the One Power, so he doesn't. What he's got is his experience in handling the threads of the Pattern directly, and a disinclination to do that with any person's threads. So he just thinks his pipe should be lit, and it is.

I will add my two cents just to throw it out there, knowing I am alone on my own island 😂 I kind of like to see it as Rand mastering the “dream” of life, if viewed through the aiel interpretation of life being a dream from which all will eventually wake. I can’t remember the exact culture but the people who live where one of the chodan kal is buried viewed it as an illusion as well and when the sphere “came online” it was said something like the time of illusion is coming to an end. That being said, we know that mastery of TAR is possible once someone comes to realize that as a dream like world it responds to consciousness and they can create anything they desire there out of their own minds. In addition we have many spiritual beliefs in our own world that align with this idea that reality is fluid, dreamlike, and responds to self aware beings using their consciousness to mold and create their reality. For example when we see beings such as the Buddha or Jesus who demonstrated the ability to alter reality, this belief explains it in a similar way, that they learned mastery of mind over matter. This made me get to the point where I enjoy my own little belief that Rand has achieved mastery of this dream world just as mastery of TAR is possible. Just one of my pet theories, every so often I like to believe my own version of events. 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 2:20 AM, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Sorry I don’t see her being involved in the transfer in anyway. It was something independent of anything anyone could do, all she did was get his money, clothes etc (Rand says this himself at the end). 

The transfer is a combination of things .

The crossing of balefire linking the 2 together. 
The fact that Rand and Moridin where linked through Callandor when they both died. 
Nakomi doing “something” 

We have seen throughout the series that the dark lord could swap souls from one body to another. In many ways this foreshadows this very action, either the fact that Moridins body was not his original one made it possible for the souls to “swap”, or something directly was done by the creator. There is no way a wilder channeler who’s only skills have been waging war can suddenly facilitate the swapping of souls. 

On 7/22/2023 at 2:58 AM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I will add my two cents just to throw it out there, knowing I am alone on my own island 😂 I kind of like to see it as Rand mastering the “dream” of life, if viewed through the aiel interpretation of life being a dream from which all will eventually wake. I can’t remember the exact culture but the people who live where one of the chodan kal is buried viewed it as an illusion as well and when the sphere “came online” it was said something like the time of illusion is coming to an end. That being said, we know that mastery of TAR is possible once someone comes to realize that as a dream like world it responds to consciousness and they can create anything they desire there out of their own minds. In addition we have many spiritual beliefs in our own world that align with this idea that reality is fluid, dreamlike, and responds to self aware beings using their consciousness to mold and create their reality. For example when we see beings such as the Buddha or Jesus who demonstrated the ability to alter reality, this belief explains it in a similar way, that they learned mastery of mind over matter. This made me get to the point where I enjoy my own little belief that Rand has achieved mastery of this dream world just as mastery of TAR is possible. Just one of my pet theories, every so often I like to believe my own version of events. 😊

You know everything that Jordon wrote about in terms of the dream world really reminded me of lucid dreaming practices. I wonder if Jordan was a lucid dreamer himself.