DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question from COT reread

When the seeker comes to karede to discuss the disappearance of tuon and other things, he presents information about a girl meeting a specific description who has been sighted in ebou dar extorting merchants or some such story. They seem convinced of the accuracy and authenticity of this intel. I was kind of confused overall whether or not I was picking up on the situation, so I may be operating on a false premise, but I got the impression that they believe this girl to potentially or even probably be tuon. If I got that part right, and since we know that is not her, then who is it? It also is mentioned that her truth speaker has taken to seclusion. Are we to assume that this is semerrage posing as tuon or what exactly is going on with this narrative?

It could be Moghedien he was talking about. She was in Ebou Dar, and was doing the same thing.

It is possible that the Seeker may have thought she was connected to Elyane and Nyneave, whom he saw around the city, and was in direct earshot of at least once without getting spotted.

18 hours ago, wotfan4472 said:

It could be Moghedien he was talking about. She was in Ebou Dar, and was doing the same thing.

It is possible that the Seeker may have thought she was connected to Elyane and Nyneave, whom he saw around the city, and was in direct earshot of at least once without getting spotted.

Oh ok. So whoever it was wove a disguise to look like Tuon? I immediately assumed semirrage because she’s acting as anath tuons truth speaker and she also later poses as tuon in her encounter with Rand. Thanks for providing additional possibilities. 

• 1 month later...
  • RP - PLAYER

I never understood that scene either. I think maybe RJ was overestimating how well I could follow his thought processes. 

In hindsight, I would say it was Suroth's plan (though presumably working under one of the chosen, so probably Semirhage as this was her sphere) to inflame the army so that she could order the "imposter" killed on sight with no questions asked. Karede was obviously brighter than me and saw the purpose of it straight away, which is why he rushed off with his troops as he realised it was a race against time, and that Tuon must be free, or her enemies would not be creating a trap for her. 

But yes, first time through it felt like a page had fallen out of the book or something 🙂

Edited by HeavyHalfMoonBlade

9 hours ago, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

I never understood that scene either. I think maybe RJ was overestimating how well I could follow his thought processes. 

In hindsight, I would say it was Suroth's plan (though presumably working under one of the chosen, so probably Semirhage as this was her sphere) to inflame the army so that she could order the "imposter" killed on sight with no questions asked. Karede was obviously brighter than me and saw the purpose of it straight away, which is why he rushed off with his troops as he realised it was a race against time, and that Tuon must be free, or her enemies would not be creating a trap for her. 

But yes, first time through it felt like a page had fallen out of the book or something 🙂

I agree first time through this kind of skipped me by, although I did understand how Karede figured it out, in a society where your own brothers and sisters are putting in place detailed convoluted plans to try and see you embarrassed, killed or worse then the bodyguard need to be able to see plots within plots within plots, identify that the obvious assasin might be a decoy for the real one, who might also be a decoy. 

• RP - PLAYER
6 hours ago, Scarloc99 said:

I agree first time through this kind of skipped me by, although I did understand how Karede figured it out, in a society where your own brothers and sisters are putting in place detailed convoluted plans to try and see you embarrassed, killed or worse then the bodyguard need to be able to see plots within plots within plots, identify that the obvious assasin might be a decoy for the real one, who might also be a decoy. 

Yes, I've always wondered if I was just being slower than RJ expected for catching on sooner, or if it was meant to be like to show how steeped in the politics and dangers of the court life of Seanchan they were. I must admit I did generally come down on the feeling that I did not pick it up well enough or the scene did not quite come off as planned, but you could look it that it was definitely meant to be completely confusing until you saw the events as they developed and then it would make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 11:29 PM, HeavyHalfMoonBlade said:

must admit I did generally come down on the feeling that I did not pick it up well enough or the scene did not quite come off as planned, but you could look it that it was definitely meant to be completely confusing until you saw the events as they developed and then it would make sense.

I think you just described perfectly how I feel pretty much constantly when reading the books 😂 I’m always certain it’s just me and I’m slow and/or entirely blind in terms of picking up on the intricacies and intrigue and pieces of the puzzle and how they fit together but I’m captivated by the series and reread it anyway even though I feel like everyone else is in on the intuitively obvious scenarios that I have yet to grasp 

• RP - PLAYER

Aww. No I think there are just a lot of scenes where they are foreshadowing things, or giving background/red herrings, or other perspectives. 

Or I am so slow I did not even notice that I was not understanding. Could be that 😄 

On 9/25/2023 at 8:52 AM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I think you just described perfectly how I feel pretty much constantly when reading the books 😂 I’m always certain it’s just me and I’m slow and/or entirely blind in terms of picking up on the intricacies and intrigue and pieces of the puzzle and how they fit together but I’m captivated by the series and reread it anyway even though I feel like everyone else is in on the intuitively obvious scenarios that I have yet to grasp 

I pick up more every time through.  Something new jumps out at me.  Discussions here help as well.  Sometime I do a great Homer Simpson sized 'DOH' - how could I not see that.  But even when I disagree, it pushes me closer to decision on something I didn't understand or notice before.