DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Siuan’s situation

Can someone please tell me what exactly is the reason for the treatment and punishment siuan received? I’ve never quite understood what the offense was. When she and moiraine would say they would be stilled and possibly executed if they were found out, I always felt like I was missing something because I couldn’t figure out what was so terrible about what they were doing. Then it happened and I still couldn’t quite grasp what the issue was. As the amyrlin seat shouldn’t she have made it a priority to find the DR and not allow him to be gentled so he can win the last battle? As far as the secrecy, that is how AS roll, especially the amyrlin seat doesn’t share everything with everyone all the time. What am I missing here?

Because not everyone would see him as the DR and they were putting the world at risk by knowingly allowing a man who could channel run about free.   That alone would make the Reds rather angry.  Even many who would see him as the DR would be upset she had him in her grasp/talked to him and didn't capture him so the Aes Sedai could control him.  Knowingly letting a man run free who could channel is reason enough for many in the WT to see her punished.

The Aes Sedai (even non BA) in the past had murdered an Amyrlin, killed numerous innocent men etc.  So roughing up Siuan really isn't a big deal.  Then figure in the BA were involved in pulling Siaun down, Siuan knows a lot so they especially would be eager to see her tortured for info and then killed.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as the hall are concerned Siuan and Moraine were implicated in a plot to raise a male channeler up as the Dragon Reborn. For a long time even after Siuans overthrow many Aes Sedai see Rand as still a potential false dragon. 

There was also the fact that even if Rand was the Dragon Reborn moraine and Siuan where letting him roam free instead of packing him up in cotton wool, keeping him shielded to be pushed out for the last battle. After all remember he may well break the world. 

• 1 month later...
  • RP - PLAYER

It seems difficult to imagine though what tower law they would be breaking specifically. We categorically see later on that the Ajahs and sisters do not have to pass on information that they don't want to, even regarding the Dragon. I suppose it could just be a vote of no confidence in their handling of the matter, but stilling seems slightly extreme unless it was a specific crime with a specific punishment. 

Of course, they could just be talking about the Black Ajah, as they have seen that all the Aes Sedai that knew about the coming of the dragon were tidily removed from the stones board, so it could be a combination of the other sisters being very unhappy which would leave even more vulnerable to the Black Ajah. 

But it is one of the weaknesses, I think, that the hierarchy in the White Tower is such an issue. We first hear, and repeatedly see in action throughout the books, that sisters can pretty much do whatever they feel like, and it is impolite to so much as enquire about someone else's activities. So we see each sister and Ajah as an independent island each on their own course in a splendid mixed metaphor. But then because we need a reason the young girls will actually be in charge, we see that a weaker Aes Sedai may not so much as sneeze or use the jakes without the stronger sister's permission. And it appears that one sister walking into the same room as a clearly stronger sister has essentially walked into permanent slavery until the stronger sister allows her to go her own way. Add in the powerlessness of the Hall to do anything useful, combined with Amyrlins and other sisters being terrified of what the Hall would do if they found out whatever (why?), and that the authority of the Amyrlin and the Hall does not seem to be constitutional but more ad hoc, it is a little bit of a mess. That does not even take into account the heads of the Ajahs and their attempt to take over the Tower. I think it best just to take it as complicated, and when the characters are talking about, they probably know more about than we do. Be trusting.

Edited by HeavyHalfMoonBlade
Gah, not English make can.