DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hi all!

Hello,

Im a new member here, a small time editor from Quebec, I love reading, hope one day i will be wise enough to write a great book(when i have time that is, one day,one day). I want to tell u how i happened to come upon these books.

A few years back, while my mom was still part of this world, I would see her reading the first book, she would suggest it to me, and I would continuously brush it off, I owe I owe so off to work i go :P, wasnt reading at all at that time, was engulfed in my work wich wouldnt leave me any free time at all, anyways, she passed away a few years ago. I was bored out of my mind like a month ago, after having went through the dune series for the second time, I just couldnt take anymore of the politics, so I figured, I would get some books at my parents place, my mom had everybook one could imagine, my dad on the other hand, hasnt read more than a readers digest or a bill in the past 20-40 years, so I went to my dad's place, took a few boxes and filled them with books, when I got to my place, unpacked the books, put them neatly in place, and then, I spotted the wheel of time, remembered my mom reading them, at first, I told myself, hum, another lord the rings wannabe? And then, by the end of the week, I finished the book, was great, I love the story line, each time I go walk the dog now, I am looking out for trollocs lol. I am presently reading the second book, I am trying to take my time, but it draws me to it, I cant function without the book now, I only have the 3 first books, so I am hoping the others will be available. Ok gotta leave you, need to read some more :)

Drew

Guest Egwene

:D Good story, Drew!!!

I hope you persevere and read all of them... and then re-read. The second time round is definately the best as only then you will come to appreciate fully the depth of the plots and how far back in the story some of them started. You may want to avoid our WoT discussion boards for the time being in order to avoid spoilers. Check out the info thread here on the Newbie Board for ideas on how to circumvent that problem.

If you are into crooswords... try dictionary.com! They have a daily online crossword :wink:

ty egwene,

Of course i will read all of them, i read the dune series twice, and that was quite revelating, its like an entirely new perspective, but those are so heavy on politics and such.

As for crosswords, hehe, thats what i publish, french crossword books, all throughout quebec, i am not a big fan, once i finish assembling correcting checking double checking, I am pretty much feed up, I am looking to expand into sudoku, wich would be much easier for me, was always better at math, and its much simpler to do :P, and one day i would to publish books that ppl write, more to encourage ppl to do so, I am 26 years old, and out of all ppl i know, I am only one who is addicted to books, I find its a shame, but I promote them as much as I can.

As for the spoilers, lol, when I was reading fist book, I noticed there where more at some point, then I found the second one in my library, and I just opened up the book, like 1 sec, and read, rand is the dragon reborn, I closed it immediatly, didnt get anything else spoiled, and I hope I wont slip again, ty for the warning, I will be carefull.

Guest Egwene

lol... guess that was like taking coals to Newcastle as we say here in the UK. Though it might be a bit different doing an english crossword seeing as all yours are in french. Does this mean that you are reading the books in french?

Guest Egwene

*nods*

I hate watching films that are have been translated. After all, a lot of the acting is in the voice and replacing that with session translators just doesn't work. And to some extent, the same goes for books... you never quite get the same flavour from a translation.

thats one of my problems being billingual, when some friends want to go see a movie, i will turn them down most of the time, because someone in the group doesnt understand english, I end up seeing it in french :S, and sometimes, the translation really sucks, other times its not to bad, my favorite translation of all time, is spaceballs, I think it is funnier in french than in english, but I could not name another wich comes close, for the books, I read dune in french, was dissapointed at first, but as i was going throught the books, I would not even notice, they are well translated, but all in all, I prefer english, it is a much simpler language, I mean by grammar standards :P

I couldnt help but notice the organizations, am i suppose to pick one ? And the role playing, whats that all about?

You should pick one you are the most familiar with ;-) Many people join several of them just to have more fun and to try something new and different. I have joined two of them so far, but I am a beginner as well. Orgs represent certain circles of interests and hobbies: art, comedy, games, book etc. I'm sure you'll find something just for you. Good luck !

Guest Emperor

Hi there newbie and welcome to DM. You have not been too tainted by the other greeters so let me try *g*.

1. Stop by the Seanchan org as we are the Movies, TV and Gaming themed place. We have tons of great threads going that most anyone can jump right into.

2. See 1.

3. Corki will be by the tell you how Awesome the Band is.... and he may be right, but he secretly loves the Seanchan org the most.

Guest Barmacral

Quebec eh? There's a certain dude here who goes by the name of The Dude who was actually just commenting on how lonely he is at being the only Quebec'er here yesterday.

Welcome!

Welcome to Dragonmount!

Once you've read the 3rd book make sure to stop by the Aiel org!

Whether for glory in battle or seeking wisdom we are there to help^^

you may not know what this is but...

/hand's over Oosquai

^^

Indeed, Corki will be here to say how great the Band of the Red Hand is. But sadly Empy got it wrong. The Seanchan are my second favourite ORG, after the BotRH. ;) So, if you love music and travel, the Band is the place for you.

But whatever you do, take a good look around and enjoy what DM has to offer!

I was wondering about the roleplaying, seems very interesting and after reading threw a few things, I have a few questions, i was thinking of the wolfkin, and i was wondering, can a wolkin travel and go visit other ppl? and would there be any char you would recommend, by means of forum needs or the fact i havent been through all the books yet? or maybe there is simply a better one for beginners?

Again ty for the welcomes^^

you may not know what this is but...

/hand's over Oosquai

I have no clue what it is, but ill keep it handy, ty

Well... I will once again be the official Fiddle recruiter. I invite you to my self proclaimed Lordly land of Fiddlesticks. Yeah sure the Band and Seanchan and Aiel are fun. But when you need to just sit back relax and type midlessly Fiddles is your place, and from the desription of your job, just the place that you need. If there is a conversation going and you have no clue what's being talked about... post something else we don't care, for the most part. most part being 99%.

So yes check out the orgs, but don't forget the little white sanded, empty beach with crystal clear water that is Fiddlesticks. The little not quite an org that could that is enjoyable for everyone!

Welcome to DM!

P.S. The waters are also shark free!!! But there is a pirate problem and the ninjas that swim.... :?

Guest Egwene

I am not an expert on RP, so I'll leave the answers to your questions to Sirayn. If she doesn't show... send her a PM or bug one of the Division Leaders. They'll all welcome you with open arms.

Ha! I never miss questions. At least not when Egwene is around to remind me to answer them. :D

can a wolkin travel and go visit other ppl?

I'm not a Wolfkin expert but I've seen them out and about. When your character starts off, you'll be picked up by your mentor and taken to the stedding where all the Wolfkin hang out, so you'll have an opportunity here to do some country-crossing prior to your arrival. I'm not clear on the extent to which a Wolfkin-in-training can leave base, but once you're full rank, you should be able to go wherever you like. There are rules about interacting with other Divisions but that's just to stop the Black and White Towers accidentally declaring war on each other and so on.

To speak to the Wolfkin Div direct:

Send a PM to DM handle: Estel

or MSN & email: switch_ya_sisters [at] hotmail.com

and would there be any char you would recommend, by means of forum needs or the fact i havent been through all the books yet? or maybe there is simply a better one for beginners?

That depends on how far you've read - I see you've read the first three books and I'm trying desperately to remember what's in them! You'll have met the Seanchan but, for example, do the names Black Tower, Band of the Red Hand and Kin mean anything to you? If not, you may not want to make characters for them until you've read all about them. All the other Divs should be fine.

My incredibly biased recommendation for newcomers would be the White Tower & Warders Divisions. We're a well-organised bunch and we'd treat you gently. :D

Hope that helped! Any more questions, ask away.

Cheers,

Sirayn

Welcome Crossword Genius!

Like everyone has said feel free to poke arund DM and see what we're all about. While you're out poking around be sure to check out the White Tower and the Warders guild!

Guest Estel

Hello and welcome!

[showers in tequili and offers chili]

As to your question: yes the Wolfkin are allowed to leave the Stedding. Of the four sec in the WK only the Sages really stay in the Stedding most of their time and they have access to the rest of the world through Tel'aran'rhiod

as for travelling while still in training, not by yourself but it is common for Wanderers/Wolkcubs to travel with their mentors when they near finishing their req's

Archived