DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about logain

28 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

It's hard to say how RJ would have written the series had he written them today, instead of in the 90s. 

He'd have been 75, and while Harriet is pretty inclusive for her age, I feel he was probably the more socially conservative one in that relationship. 

I dread an alternate timeline where RJ finished the books and took to Twitter, and made his politics known in 2016.

Ok now I have nightmares of a JK Rowling situation here. 

The one thing I will say is that for me RJ's personal religious feelings are largely kept out of the WOT, in fact one of the things I dislike about the Brandon Trilogy, as I am starting to call them, is that he does inject his own religious feelings into it, the Creator takes a far more central role in discussions and it just feels like he put's too much emphasis on those elements when throughout the rest of the series the people of WOT are largely agnostic. I might be over thinking but it is one of the changes of flavour that mean I am not as into the last 3 books. 

• Community Administrator
2 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Ok now I have nightmares of a JK Rowling situation here. 

The one thing I will say is that for me RJ's personal religious feelings are largely kept out of the WOT, in fact one of the things I dislike about the Brandon Trilogy, as I am starting to call them, is that he does inject his own religious feelings into it, the Creator takes a far more central role in discussions and it just feels like he put's too much emphasis on those elements when throughout the rest of the series the people of WOT are largely agnostic. I might be over thinking but it is one of the changes of flavour that mean I am not as into the last 3 books. 

Are they though? Don't forget that RJ was a Freemason. That has it's own religious and non-religious and political aspects... and apparently the novels are chock full of references if you know where to look...

2 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Are they though? Don't forget that RJ was a Freemason. That has it's own religious and non-religious and political aspects... and apparently the novels are chock full of references if you know where to look...

he was also a high church Episcopalian and received communion more than once a week, that to me supersedes people reading freemasonry into his writings, yet he didn't put that Christianity front and centre into his writing as far as I can see, yes people make the connection between Rand and Jesus, but to me Rand is much like the hero's of many fantasy series so I think that is stretching things. The creator has no real impact in the world he made (until Brandon got involved), and the religious views of Rand land are pretty agnostic if not athiest generally. 

Yes anyone can dive in and try and find the Masonic links to the WOT, but again these are subtle and can also be taken as standard or altered fantasy tropes. Ogier masons are almost lifted from the Giants of the Thomas Covenant books, or they both have the same origins in myth for instance.