DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just a confession/confusion

I have been rereading our beloved WOT for the first time since completing the series last year. Someone recommended another series and so I stopped my reread to read it. I do like the book but all I can think about is getting back to WOT. It’s like I can’t even give a s*** about anything anymore. I used to love reading everything. What is happening to me? Can someone relate?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar experience. I try to start with new fantasy series or old series that I haven't read in a while, but still can't really escape that feeling of wanting to get back to WoT instead. Especially with the tv-series coming along, I really want to refresh my memory of the books as well. I'm not that experienced with other fantasy works but I have to admit I've yet to find a series that hooked me as much as WoT did and still does. With other works I can put the book down for days or weeks but with WoT it was nonstop reading from start to finish. 

My last re-read was in summer 2021 just months before season 1 premiered so maybe it's time to get back to it before season 2 begins.  

15 hours ago, Vartija said:

I have a similar experience. I try to start with new fantasy series or old series that I haven't read in a while, but still can't really escape that feeling of wanting to get back to WoT instead. Especially with the tv-series coming along, I really want to refresh my memory of the books as well. I'm not that experienced with other fantasy works but I have to admit I've yet to find a series that hooked me as much as WoT did and still does. With other works I can put the book down for days or weeks but with WoT it was nonstop reading from start to finish. 

My last re-read was in summer 2021 just months before season 1 premiered so maybe it's time to get back to it before season 2 begins.  

I so totally relate. I have to make another confession. I’m always embarrassed when I tell someone that I love to read and then end up looking like a fool when it becomes evident that I haven’t heard of any of the books they bring up assuming a self declared reading lover would know. On top of that when they ask, “ok well what HAVE you read?” And my answer is, basically, WOT on repeat (preceded by frequently rereading ASOIF and before that repeated rereading Harry Potter). I definitely have read other books besides those, but I have come to realize that I don’t necessarily love to read in general, but I love to read what I love to read over and over again 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that apart from the way the series ends, having reread it again recently I have realised just how bad the writing gets in the last 3 books, and how much Brandon changes the tone and voice of the characters and the overall story. I don’t blame him for that, it was an unenviable position, but it just sours the series for me now. 

I also always have more then one book on the go at once so alongside WOT I am reading through the Horus heresy series, the reading the Thomas covenant series (I think marginally better then WOT) and picking up random one off books as well. 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

16 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I feel that apart from the way the series ends, having reread it again recently I have realised just how bad the writing gets in the last 3 books, and how much Brandon changes the tone and voice of the characters and the overall story. I don’t blame him for that, it was an unenviable position, but it just sours the series for me now. 

I also always have more then one book on the go at once so alongside WOT I am reading through the Horus heresy series, the reading the Thomas covenant series (I think marginally better then WOT) and picking up random one off books as well. 

I actually appreciated the change and how the series wrapped up.  Though I continued to like the series, Jordan dropped the ball for me on the Shaido arc (both Perrin and Faile's side), Luca's circus, Andor succession, and the split Tower.  Though there was some material to enjoy in each arc, for me, they were too long and had too much superfluous material that I didn't care about.

I fear had Jordan lived long enough we might have ended up with 20 books.  He just seemed to have lost his way...  I think even I would have soured by the end.  Tone and voice changes aside, I didn't feel I was slogging through Brandon's books.