DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nynaeve books vs Nynaeve tv series

Qstar

What has been your feelings towards Nynaeve's book character vs Nynaeve's character in the tv series? 

Nynaeve's character is known for her angry. This anger is a conduit for her channeling. I've come to conclude that as a character on paper she is highly abusive in almost every way.

Nynaeve "switches bottoms, slaps and punches the man she loves, often takes of hurting her friends."

However, in the tv series I wonder how her Character will develop. I have to say that I strongly dislike the way Nynaeve's character reads on paper. 

Agreed. I don’t think pure book nyneave would translate well with tv audiences. I think she does have some redeeming qualities in the books but they are only obvious if you read between the lines. Tv nyneave will probably have to be more the “between the lines” book stuff and less the violent, condescending, arrogant hypocrite we get so much of from the books. 

2 hours ago, Elendir said:

There is big difference between book Nyn during first reading and book Nyn when you reread book.

What difference do you see?  Words are the same on first read or fifth. What was different for you on rereading?

On 6/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, DojoToad said:

What difference do you see?  Words are the same on first read or fifth. What was different for you on rereading?

Although your question was directed at the person who posted, I thought I’d comment on it. In my personal experience, the reason I gain so much enjoyment out of rereading is because even though as you said “words are the same on first read or fifth”, the meaning behind the words or the way they affect me changes with every read. The words haven’t changed yet the way I interpret them does. Otherwise I don’t see any purpose for myself to read them again and again. I can definitely understand why maybe some people reread them simply because they love becoming absorbed in the story, but for me it’s more because I get more and more out of the same words every time I read them. For me every time I reread them it feels like I’m experiencing reading a new book in some ways. To use the nyneave example, even though I see all of the same repellent qualities as I did in my first read, I also see them through the perspective of the entire story including observing her psyche and it provides some context. Not that it excuses her behavior, I just see it differently (more layered/nuanced rather than one dimensional) on reread than I did on first impression. But that’s just me 😊🤷‍♀️

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2023 at 12:49 AM, DojoToad said:

I am sorry for a late answer. I don't come here that often.

When you read about the actions of a book character. You interpret them according to the information you have about the character. Nyn's behavior at the beginning of the book is rude and it's hard for anyone to like her. But in the course of the saga, you learn more about Nyn, what troubles her and what motivates her.

This will significantly change the way you look at her. Then when you read the book again, you already have more information about her and the view is different.

Another example is Galad. When Rand first meets him, he appears to be a classic arrogant noble. When he enters the children of light, the feeling that he is a negative character increases even more, especially when he is described to us from Elayne's point of view.

However, with his PoV, we get significant information about his character. Our view of him changes not only from that point on, but we know that he was like that from the beginning of the story.

Edited by Elendir