DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Casting question

After all these years reading WOT, I have created certain images in my head of what the characters look like. Then after watching the show, I noticed that some of my mental images of some characters have changed based on how they were cast in the show. For example, lan and nyneave tend to be the actors in the show now in my head canon. And kinda Rand, but he looked pretty much like he does on the show in my head anyway. Egwene is another one and Siuan. Maybe a little Perrin too. Does anyone else have any examples of how the show’s casting changed your head canon of certain characters?

I prefer my head canon images over the casting images. 

I've done my best not to let the show "replace" my personal images of the books, and will continue to do so. 

I don't know why, but Perrin and Egwene *really really really* don't match my personal images, and it bothers me. 

The rest of the cast much less so. 

Oh, Thom Merrliin's portray was absolute dreck, too. Nothing personal against the actors and/or actresses, just doesn't jive with the "head canon."

Thankfully I was done with the books by the time of the show, but I think if I read again, it's too ingrained to change. Matt is maybe one of the closer ones to match, I suppose. Definitely not Rand, I pretty much have him as this weird blend of all the cover images Tor used over the years haha. I also don't particularly plan to watch season 2 or the show anytime soon.

I am bad at imagining people. I can't really form a mental image of a person unless I devote all my attention to it, and then I'm not reading the story anymore. in my mind, the characters are dark shadows.

with that premise, I like getting a movie of a book - even when the movie is not very good - because it lets me imagine real characters. I have no problems imagining a person if I saw the actor in the movie, and  it certainly beats a dark shadow.

• 4 weeks later...

Zoe has now replaced my head-cannon of Nynaeve. I think she rocks the role.

Josha is close enough as Rand, for me (though he's NOT a ginger in the books .... le sigh)

Alexandre makes much more sense as Thom Merrilin, to me, thank the book description! LoL

Barney was by far the best actor, imho, so very sad he left.