DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Another question from POD

What is making Rand and the other male channelers, as well as the damane, so sick towards the end? I don’t remember this being explained for sure but I might have forgotten. I was thinking maybe the use of the bowl of the winds and/or the unraveling of elaynes gateway weave might explain the anomaly in proximity to ebou dar, and possibly the presence of callandor in the battle sequence. But it seems unlikely that it happened by coincidence, relatively simultaneously, due to different causes. Does this get explained later and I missed it my first time around? 

the bowl of the winds was a minor ter'angreal and only meant to affect a small area. (I don’t think a full circle of very power women where meant to use it either)

All that combined to create an un-stable zone for both saidar and saidin for as far as the bowls area of effect was. It lasted until it’s effects wore off.  

the opposite happens later on with some sa’angreal that are meant to use a lot of power so they don’t cause an un-stable zones. 

• 6 months later...

What was said above explain why the men felt that saidin felt/behaved strangely in proximity to Ebou Dar, and along the "spokes" that radiated out from the Bowl into Randland. Rand is sick from some other factors, aside from the weirdness with the OP around Ebou Dar. One is his link with Moridin, via their crossed Balefire ar Shadar Logoth. Another is a flaw when Rand is using Callandor. Callandor magnifies the Taint.

And as usual of late, I was mistaken. Very mistaken this time. These things I feel are somewhat evident.. aren't. Not in the books anyway. There is no solid explanation, for any of it, from the books. Any hint at what's causing the weirdness in the books is mostly focused around saidar. I think a few Ashaman comment on the strangeness of saidin, but I believe that's it. Nothing further.

Any real explanation comes from Team Jordan. That's where I got my info about the unraveled gateway having only localized effects. Also where I read about the Bowls effects on the OP, in the local area of Ebou Dar and across Randland along the 'spokes' that radiated out from the Bowl.

Out of all the above, only Callandor is somewhat explained. I believe it's Cads who calls out the swords Taint-magmifying ability.

Edited by Aan-Alone
I was wrong in my assertions.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:12 AM, Aan-Alone said:

These things are either explained outright of heavily alluded to some books later.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am rereading the series and still miss so much of what you described as being explained outright or what is intended to be “intuitively obvious” to the perceptive reader. Despite my lack of ability to pick up on the underlying implications within the text, I absolutely love reading it and foresee myself rereading until I wake from the dream 😉

• RP - PLAYER

There is a lot of interpretation involved. Much of the information given is vague and not necessarily obvious as to what it relates to. There is also a lot of unreliable narrators not least as RJ changed his mind about somethings at least mid-story. I think that is one of the charms of the book that not only is there dramatic irony where we know stuff that the characters don't, but also lots of moments where things are happening that no one understands. 

I'm sure finer minds than mine could see deeper and further, but it is that very feeling of hidden depths that make the story so interesting. If you could clearly see it all it would detract from the charm. Also as interpretation must be used, the more tenuous connections you make the more likely you are to be wrong, and so the story retains its surprises. 

It is really is masterful, if frustrating at times. So even if you are missing things, I don't think you are missing out on the magic. 

10 hours ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

still miss so much of what you described as being explained outright or what is intended to be “intuitively obvious” to the perceptive reader.

I may have been including info from outside sources and thinking of that info as 'Canon". Mea Cupla.

On 12/10/2023 at 6:24 AM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

still miss so much of what you described as being explained outright or what is intended to be “intuitively obvious” to the perceptive reader.

@Lightfriendsocialmistress You have my sincere apology. Your post in response to mine had me feeling bad and got me to thinking. I'm sorry if my old-man powers of recollection had you feeling that you were missing something obvious. You weren't. At all. The community struggled with this for a while before Team Jordan gave us insights. Any fault was not yours, but mine.

I humbly ask your, and the communities, forgiveness.

• RP - PLAYER
24 minutes ago, Aan-Alone said:

@Lightfriendsocialmistress You have my sincere apology. Your post in response to mine had me feeling bad and got me to thinking. I'm sorry if my old-man powers of recollection had you feeling that you were missing something obvious. You weren't. At all. The community struggled with this for a while before Team Jordan gave us insights. Any fault was not yours, but mine.

I would not dare to speak for the community or anyone else, but I have greatly enjoyed reading your comments and very glad you have shared your insights. And we all have moments where our meaning and intention does not come well over in a forum. 

So notwithstanding your apology to the esteemed Lightfriendsocialmistress, I would tentively suggest you owe the community no apology. 

Though just in case not everyone agrees I'm sharpening the tines on my pitchfork. I do love me a good bit of mobbing and yelling and carrying those super cool torches. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, Aan-Alone said:

You are a precious gem and I humbly appreciate your considerate words. No apology necessary, I only meant to convey my admiration for readers such as yourself who pick up on the intricacies and nuances that so far have escaped me. It’s not you, it’s me 😉