DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My experience as a WOT baby #1

thacq

Hi everyone - I (M26) am an innocent, uncorrupted, crawling-on-the-floor WOT baby. I have not seen the series (not even a trailer), I have not looked at fan art of the characters or engaged with any discussions because I want to experience it through my imagination and not be influenced by anything other than the words on the pages.

I often think what it would be like to experience some of my favourite content for the first time again, so I thought this might be a good place to share my experience reading WOT for the first time as a newbie! (If this is not the right place - please let me know! Thanks!)

My wife got me the first book a few years ago for my birthday, and I finally decided to open it in January. I am about half way through book 3 (The Dragon Reborn) already, needless to say I am enjoying it thoroughly!

Please enjoy my wonderful ignorance as I uncover plots and connect the dots. I am certain that I will question things that are unbelievably obvious, stupid or innocent, which (hopefully) will be part of the fun for all of you wrinkly, wise, old-timers.

I will try to answer questions, but please, no spoilers!

WHERE I AM UP TO - Book 3, Chapter 40

- Moirane, Lan and Perrin are chasing after Rand in the wild west.

- Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve have just fought some guys with the help of some Aeil gals and co.

- Mat and Thom are returning Elayne's letter to Morgase.

Some observations so far:

1. I always think I know where the story will go, but I am always wrong. For example, I thought the whole series (or at least most of it) would be about discovering Rand as the Dragon Reborn, but Moirane just outright tells him (and us) that he is way earlier than I expected. So that's fun - I'm along for the ride to see what happens!

2. Perrin's subplot with the wolves is amazing and I just want more and more of it!

3. I am enjoying discovering how channeling the Power works. For example, in book 1 we primarily see Moirane doing all the channeling from the perspective of Rand. Like Rand, we don't understand it, and it's very mystical. Now, we are seeing Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve develop their skills and use their power (often in do-or-die situations) and it is really interesting to see how they are learning from each other and understanding it more. Poor Rand has to just figure it out himself whilst knowing he's going to destroy the world and go mad 😞

4. The Seanchan scare the hell outta me (especially those collars). Last I heard, Rand and the heroes of the horn kicked them out of Falme, but oh boy... Something is coming. I can feel it, and it ain't gonna be good!

5. I can see that the Aeil are going to become more prominent, but I have no idea how, why, or when!

6. I did not like Nynaeve in book 1 and 2 - I thought she was just mad all the time and annoying, but she's developed more in book 3 and I can empathize a lot more with her. So I'm excited to develop my relationships with all the characters as I read more.

If this is something that people enjoy, I will post more updates. If not - totally fine too! Sometimes life can get busy, but I will do my best!

Thank you for your time!

Thacq

5 hours ago, thacq said:

6. I did not like Nynaeve in book 1 and 2 - I thought she was just mad all the time and annoying, but she's developed more in book 3 and I can empathize a lot more with her. So I'm excited to develop my relationships with all the characters as I read more.

I remember this also from reading game of thrones for the first time - many characters who appeared to be stereotypical villains became relatable when seen in their own POV chapters - especially Jaime and Cersai.

6 hours ago, thacq said:

Hi everyone - I (M26) am an innocent, uncorrupted, crawling-on-the-floor WOT baby. I have not seen the series (not even a trailer), I have not looked at fan art of the characters or engaged with any discussions because I want to experience it through my imagination and not be influenced by anything other than the words on the pages.

I often think what it would be like to experience some of my favourite content for the first time again, so I thought this might be a good place to share my experience reading WOT for the first time as a newbie! (If this is not the right place - please let me know! Thanks!)

My wife got me the first book a few years ago for my birthday, and I finally decided to open it in January. I am about half way through book 3 (The Dragon Reborn) already, needless to say I am enjoying it thoroughly!

Please enjoy my wonderful ignorance as I uncover plots and connect the dots. I am certain that I will question things that are unbelievably obvious, stupid or innocent, which (hopefully) will be part of the fun for all of you wrinkly, wise, old-timers.

I will try to answer questions, but please, no spoilers!

WHERE I AM UP TO - Book 3, Chapter 40

- Moirane, Lan and Perrin are chasing after Rand in the wild west.

- Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve have just fought some guys with the help of some Aeil gals and co.

- Mat and Thom are returning Elayne's letter to Morgase.

Some observations so far:

1. I always think I know where the story will go, but I am always wrong. For example, I thought the whole series (or at least most of it) would be about discovering Rand as the Dragon Reborn, but Moirane just outright tells him (and us) that he is way earlier than I expected. So that's fun - I'm along for the ride to see what happens!

2. Perrin's subplot with the wolves is amazing and I just want more and more of it!

3. I am enjoying discovering how channeling the Power works. For example, in book 1 we primarily see Moirane doing all the channeling from the perspective of Rand. Like Rand, we don't understand it, and it's very mystical. Now, we are seeing Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve develop their skills and use their power (often in do-or-die situations) and it is really interesting to see how they are learning from each other and understanding it more. Poor Rand has to just figure it out himself whilst knowing he's going to destroy the world and go mad 😞

4. The Seanchan scare the hell outta me (especially those collars). Last I heard, Rand and the heroes of the horn kicked them out of Falme, but oh boy... Something is coming. I can feel it, and it ain't gonna be good!

5. I can see that the Aeil are going to become more prominent, but I have no idea how, why, or when!

If this is something that people enjoy, I will post more updates. If not - totally fine too! Sometimes life can get busy, but I will do my best!

Thank you for your time!

Thacq

I for one cannot wait to hear from you as you read! Please post as you go if only for one person, little old me ☺️

23 hours ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I for one cannot wait to hear from you as you read! Please post as you go if only for one person, little old me ☺️

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I will do another update when I've finished book 3 (I just got introduced to the shadowhounds - very exciting ahah)

Ah yeesh, this is so cool! Yeah, channeling is something I think you get to learn more and more and more with each book until quite deep.

Ack, don't make me do another re-read! 😄 But yes, Definitely do updates. Following this topic. Cheers!

6 hours ago, thacq said:

I haven't read GOT yet - although I do have the first book sitting on my shelf...

Grab the books as you are able, but I wouldn't recommend reading them yet.  We're still waiting on the last two books in the series - which may or may not ever come.  Been over 11 years since the last one...

I think WoT fans wished they could read it for the first time again. So, we love to do that vicariously through other people sharing their impressions and ideas on their first read. I think people will enjoy hearing yours. 

Now, if you want to read the series old school style, you will have to read it like some of us who had to wait for each book to be published. I would re-read the whole series up to the new book before reading the new book. 

Of course, it was easier to take the time to do that because we had to fill in the time until the next book got published. 

On 4/20/2023 at 10:42 PM, thacq said:

I haven't read GOT yet - although I do have the first book sitting on my shelf...

I love the series, and have read the so far published books several times. I would definitely recommend it with one disclaimer…only if you can tolerate the long wait for the next book, including the possibility that we may not see the conclusion anytime soon if at all. I still hold out hope though. Did you watch the show?

On 4/20/2023 at 10:45 PM, thacq said:

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I will do another update when I've finished book 3 (I just got introduced to the shadowhounds - very exciting ahah)

I’m currently rereading the books after one full read through, and in so many ways still feel like a newbie! I’m a little ways ahead of you but I will definitely look forward to reading your thoughts as you go on this journey 

On 4/21/2023 at 5:03 PM, RainHarlow said:

Ah yeesh, this is so cool! Yeah, channeling is something I think you get to learn more and more and more with each book until quite deep.

Ack, don't make me do another re-read! 😄 But yes, Definitely do updates. Following this topic. Cheers!

Thanks Rain! I've just entered Tear - so that's fun to explore a new culture with the characters! I'll do a big update when I finish the book (not too long to go!) 🙂

On 4/22/2023 at 4:08 PM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I love the series, and have read the so far published books several times. I would definitely recommend it with one disclaimer…only if you can tolerate the long wait for the next book, including the possibility that we may not see the conclusion anytime soon if at all. I still hold out hope though. Did you watch the show?

Yes - hopefully we will see that! I haven't even seen a trailer of the show haha - I think I'll watch it when I've finished the books. Do you know what books the first season covers?

On 4/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, Wassup said:

Now, if you want to read the series old school style, you will have to read it like some of us who had to wait for each book to be published. I would re-read the whole series up to the new book before reading the new book. 

Yeah - I guess I can just read them all in a row, but I'm probably  missing stuff the first time - I might re-read them again in anticipation for the next one!

5 hours ago, thacq said:

Yes - hopefully we will see that! I haven't even seen a trailer of the show haha - I think I'll watch it when I've finished the books. Do you know what books the first season covers?

Wow, that’s amazing! So not only are you experiencing WOT from the beginning and untainted by outside influences, you will also be able to experience GOT from that perspective as well. I kinda envy you!
For the most part the first 3 seasons of GOT are based on the first 3 books of a song of ice and fire, respectively, so one book per season. Then book 4 and 5 are more difficult to adapt in the same one to one way, so from season 4 on it’s not as true to the books. To answer your question more concisely, season one of GOT is essentially book one of ASOIAF. (A song of ice and fire is the name of the series as a whole, game of thrones is the name of the first book. It’s a good name for the show though IMO)

thanks again for being willing to share your experience of reading the WOT books for the first time. I really look forward to hearing your perspective in real time as a newcomer. 

I'm glad that you decided to give the book a try and that you are enjoying it. Best part about starting the series is the community.  I've just stumbled across this forum and I am enjoying it. I've been reading since January 2023 and I have halfway through the 6th book. From what I recall Nynaeve was a character whom I struggled to understand.

There are many twist and turns that I can say without spoilers. I also enjoyed Perrins subplot, then again, I love animals and wolves see at the top of that list. The one power is just interesting to me. I like that even in fantasy there are rules (parameters) when it comes to magic. This brings about a constant enter conflict between characters. To me this makes the characters more vulnerable which makes them a bit more real. If that makes sense.

Happy reading!

On 4/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Wow, that’s amazing! So not only are you experiencing WOT from the beginning and untainted by outside influences, you will also be able to experience GOT from that perspective as well. I kinda envy you!

thanks again for being willing to share your experience of reading the WOT books for the first time. I really look forward to hearing your perspective in real time as a newcomer. 

Thanks! I'll do my best!

On 4/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, Qstar said:

Nynaeve was a character whom I struggled to understand.

I also enjoyed Perrins subplot, then 

It's good to have characters like that, because they challenge you haha. I am also loving Perrin's subplot, and am really hoping it gets properly fleshed out!

• 7 months later...