DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How old were you when you first picked up the WoT?

Sabre

I'm just curious. I started reading the series at 11 years old as I got into sixth grade. My older brother bought me book 9 so i went to the store and bought the first. What about you guys? When did you stop by the store and say 'wow, i need to buy that?!/how did you get introduced to it?

Guest Barmacral

I was in grade 9, and the reason I picked it up was because a couple of my friends had been reading it for a few months, and recommended it to me.

I was around 20 when I first picked it up, around 93 or 94. I was in my university book store looking for a fantasy series to read, and it looked good. I bought whatever was already out in paperback, the first 5 or so books.

I was, 11ish i think, maybe a little bit older, but not much, may dad had actually given me the first one a while before that as a birthday/christmas gift, and eventually i went on a long trip and i picked it up and started reading it and well...Here i am about 5 or so years later

I was in seventh or eighth grade which was 3 or 4 years ago. My friend, in the fashion of being that age decided to steal some books for the fun of it. I looked at them and read some so I went and bought them from the store. They were the two part set of EotW and I am extremely grateful for my friends decision to steal those books because it allowed me to end up with the best fantasy series I have ever read.

mom bought the book for me in 7th grade. Cover looked *really* stupid and my mom said the lady told her that the book would be liked by a harry potter fan. i thought my mom got coned.

threw book in corner of my room and never turned back

in 9th grade i was bored as hell, found the book. figured why not try it. and now i know the *never judge a book by its cover* rule now^^

I was in the 9th grade, 14, almost 15. My older sister was reading book...4? anyway, I asked her about it and when she told me, I was very interested. So at school the next day I found EotW and began reading, and boom, I was hooked!

The sad part is though, that my sister stopped at book 7 and is reading a different series! *shakes head*

I didn't find the series until about 5 years or so ago (when I was in my 30's!). My boyfriend was a fan and suggested the series to me. Figured I'd like it. He told me there were a lot of strong female characters and a character who could talk to wolves. :D I tried it and I've read the entire series oh, about 5 times now. :D

In 1993 just after I turned 18. I was in Denver Co. getting ready to begin a 20 hour bus trip back home to Kenutucy. I wanted something to keep me occupied during the trip so went into a Walden Books and picked a book at random from the Sci-Fi section. That book just happened to be "The Eye of the World." So basically I stumbled into this wonderful series by pure dumb luck.

Back when you could get "Part One of Book One of The Wheel of Time" (it was tEotW up until Moiraine led the party into Shadar Logoth) for free at bookstores is when I was first exposed. If I remember correctly I was at a cousin's wedding and was . . . ten, I think.

Which means I've been a WoT addict for well over half my life.

would have been 99-2000 when i first read through the books, i would have been 12-13 at the time. my father had read books 1-2-7 and 10(might have been 9 my memory isn't the best)... so after a brief and vastly incomplete explanation of the plot line i picked up book 1 and got 3 out of the school library about a week later, now on my third read through and have realized that the last time i read them i didn't read 11(last time i read them was just after 11 came out i think my dad must have been reading it and i moved onto another series and obviously never got back to it until this read.

Back when you could get "Part One of Book One of The Wheel of Time" (it was tEotW up until Moiraine led the party into Shadar Logoth) for free at bookstores is when I was first exposed. If I remember correctly I was at a cousin's wedding and was . . . ten' date=' I think.

Which means I've been a WoT addict for well over half my life.[/quote']

Finally, someone who remembers these free books! I had two of them and gave them out to friends. Wish I would have kept them, they probably would be worth a few $$ on eBay.

I first read tEotW back in 1992 when I was a freshman in high school. It was my second fantasty series after Terry Brook's Shannara series and I've been hooked on fantasty books ever since.

PS - Hello everyone, I'm new to these discussion boards. I actually post in the GoS forum for the gostones game, but thought I'd wander out and take a peek at the other discussions going on.

Archived