DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Culain's Hound

Kalessin

In my current reread of WOt, I've noticed again, how RJ manages to allude to various stories, rather than directly reference them. Culain's Hound, the inn where Verin and Alanna Seadai stay at with their collection of Two Rivers prospective novices such as Mat's sister Bodewhin, is one such; and if you don't know the story of how Cuchulainn of the Ulster Cycle of Old Irish stories, got his distinctive name, it'll slip right by you.

To wit, the young man Setanta was defending himself against the smith Culann's fierce guard dog, and killed it. He offered to take its place until a replacement could be found and thus became known as Cu Chulainn - Culann's Hound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cú_Chulainn

On 4/2/2023 at 4:42 AM, Kalessin said:

In my current reread of WOt, I've noticed again, how RJ manages to allude to various stories, rather than directly reference them. Culain's Hound, the inn where Verin and Alanna Seadai stay at with their collection of Two Rivers prospective novices such as Mat's sister Bodewhin, is one such; and if you don't know the story of how Cuchulainn of the Ulster Cycle of Old Irish stories, got his distinctive name, it'll slip right by you.

To wit, the young man Setanta was defending himself against the smith Culann's fierce guard dog, and killed it. He offered to take its place until a replacement could be found and thus became known as Cu Chulainn - Culann's Hound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cú_Chulainn

Fascinating! I’m one such reader who would never have known there was anything to the name of the inn had I not seen your post. I’m sure I miss more than I catch when I’m reading. 

• 1 month later...

And then, in Crossroads of Twilight, we find Mat, having kidnapped Tuon in his escape from Tylin in the preceding book, being asked by Tuon if he remembers Artur Hawkwing's face. And he does, in Culain's memories of dying in the final battle between Aldeshar and Hawkwing's forces, and Hawkwing's final words to him as he lay dying. So of course he doesn't remember Hawkwing's face ... and Tuon, whose skill at reading lies is honed sharper than sharp by the hostile environment of her family's court, notes it, and is left open-mouthed ... 😲