DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question arising from ACOS reread

I just got to the introduction of Cadsuane on my reread, only read the series once, and I am enjoying being reminded about how fun it is to read anything involving her. I forgot about something that confounded me on my first read through but reading it again I’m still just as confused. What is the “vileness” after the aiel war she refers to? Or does it actually get explained later on and I simply forgot or didn’t catch it? Either way I’d love the answer 

She is speaking of the Black Ajah murdering Aes Sedai that were as skilled, confident and as knowledgeable as her, including the Amrylin at the time. That is also a separate issue to the Red Ajah progrom of boys and young men.

She muses later, that what happened with those Aes Sedai, is mostly responsible for the Aes Sedai leadership being inefficient and immature during the books. The main face of that issue, is basically Egwene herself.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:50 AM, wotfan4472 said:

She is speaking of the Black Ajah murdering Aes Sedai that were as skilled, confident and as knowledgeable as her, including the Amrylin at the time. That is also a separate issue to the Red Ajah progrom of boys and young men.

She muses later, that what happened with those Aes Sedai, is mostly responsible for the Aes Sedai leadership being inefficient and immature during the books. The main face of that issue, is basically Egwene herself.

Wow! Ok thank you for clearing that up. I don’t know how I missed all of that…maybe I’ll catch it this time around in my reread. 

My next question about ACOS…I just read the chapter where nyneave and elayne are walking back to the palace after their first encounter with the kin. They get hit in the head by something, elayne is knocked out but nyneave is not. Do we know who is behind this? I can’t remember if it’s explained based on my first read through. And who is trying to kidnap Mat? I never even picked up on the attacks being kidnap attempts my first time around. I’m guessing elaida? She’s pretty kidnappy 

18 hours ago, Kalessin said:

It's the same crowd who try later to mug Mat, posing as beggars without having the proper brass rings to identify them as legitimate beggars. Nominal head the Whitecloak ambassador; so, not Elaida's crowd.

Ooohhh ok thank you for clarifying. The kidnap attempts tripped me up since I thought that’s elaidas jam. I just read that part today where the “guild” of beggars attack Mat and crew, and one of them says “old cully won’t like this” or something like that. I recognized that name from the recent “kind of a big deal” white cloak character perspective as a high level dark friend but still didn’t quite put it together. Especially didn’t know that it was the same perp that tried to get the girls. Good to know.

Side note, I never caught in my first read through all of the clues leading up to the eventual reveal of a certain in world beloved and famous autobiographer whose adventures have already filled an entire book! I’m starting to think, only partially through my first reread, that the amount of detail discovered and dependent on rereading, that I may never read a new book again…just might spend the rest of my life immersed in reading and rereading WOT! 😂 I digress, but thanks again for clarifying 

• 7 months later...