DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When Moiraine heal's Tam al'Thor

FionaG

I've read these books a million times and noticed something I never had before....When Moiraine heals Tam Rand get goosebumps.  This must be the reaction that male channelers get when a woman channels.  I thought it was interesting that Jordan put that in within the first few chapters, he really was a master at writing.

10 hours ago, FionaG said:

I've read these books a million times and noticed something I never had before....When Moiraine heals Tam Rand get goosebumps.  This must be the reaction that male channelers get when a woman channels.  I thought it was interesting that Jordan put that in within the first few chapters, he really was a master at writing.

Hmmmm…good catch. I tend to think you’re on to something here, no mere coincidence in my opinion 

20 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

As far as we know Rand had not channeled at that point (the apparent first use is on Bela so that Egwene can keep up when they flee) so there is no reason he should be sensing her channeling - this could just be an "ordinary" reaction to seeing a miraculous cure take place.

But it also might be a sign he is getting close to his first touching, it was just a few hours later when Rand gave energy to Bela without knowing it.  Not to mention we don't know if you have to touch the source first, or if any man with the ability to channel will feel the goosebumps if a lady is holding the power.

Edited by Sabio

• 10 months later...

I don't see why we shouldn't consider Rand's goosebumps as foreshadowing. Looking at it this way only adds to the story.

Additionally, we know very little about how male channelers begin their journey in channeling, at this point in TEotW and even after the series is over. So it's difficult to dismiss the idea.

Edited by Aan-Alone
More thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

I agree and definitely think it's foreshadowing and no mere coincidence.  It's not at all outside the realm of possibility or RJ's intention (why else add the shiver or tingle at all?).

I disagree with the idea that because he hadn't consciously (or unconsciously) channeled yet, he could not sense female channeling.   Part of what clued Moiraine to the idea of Rand being the Dragon Reborn in the first place was his natural resistance to her influence, which she implies at the end of book 1 was in part to him being able to touch the Source. 

"...After I gave you the token, the coin, and made that bonding, you should have been willing to fall in line with whatever I wanted, but you resisted, questioned. That told me something but not enough. Manetheren blood was always stubborn and more so after Aemon died and Eldrene's heart was shattered. Then there was Bela."  etc. etc.  

So if Rand had an innate resistance to the influence to Moiraine's Power from the day they met, before he ever channeled (that we're aware of), it would make sense that he would feel the shiver and tingle being around a female actively Channeling saidar. 

• 4 weeks later...

And then there's the reaction to the Myrdraal following them on the Quarry road in the first chapter.

As Rand watched his side of the road, the feeling grew in him that he was being watched. For a while he
tried to shrug it off. Nothing moved or made a sound among the trees, except the wind. But the feeling
not only persisted, it grew stronger. The hairs on his arms stirred; his skin prickled as if it itched on the
inside.

Then we get an explanation later either from Moiraine:

But I, or any Aes Sedai, can extend my protection to those close by me.
No Fade can harm them as long as they are as close to me as they are right now. No Trolloc can come
within a quarter of a mile without Lan knowing it, feeling the evil of it.

Which we see later, when Lan charges down the stairs after feeling a Myrdraal nearby, threatening Rand.