DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ideal WoT Series Cast

TheBlueStuff

To be honest, I think in terms of picking unknowns for most of the roles they pitched it about perfect. Moraine I wondered Cate Blanchett, but then I realized I am just projecting my Galadriel love. But I really feel a series such as this should allow new actors to inhabit roles instead of well known ones that bring a lot of role comparisons with them so people will always see those other roles in the part. 

But for Thom Tim Roth 

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

To be honest, I think in terms of picking unknowns for most of the roles they pitched it about perfect. Moraine I wondered Cate Blanchett, but then I realized I am just projecting my Galadriel love. But I really feel a series such as this should allow new actors to inhabit roles instead of well known ones that bring a lot of role comparisons with them so people will always see those other roles in the part. 

But for Thom Tim Roth 

Agreed about casting unknowns for most of the roles.  Casting big name actors, aside from feasibility with contracts and the such, always bring expectation baggage.  It can work as with Sean Bean in GoT but he brought and delivered his "always dies" baggage into the show.

For Thom I was always a Sam Elliot fan.

9 hours ago, Skipp said:

Agreed about casting unknowns for most of the roles.  Casting big name actors, aside from feasibility with contracts and the such, always bring expectation baggage.  It can work as with Sean Bean in GoT but he brought and delivered his "always dies" baggage into the show.

For Thom I was always a Sam Elliot fan.

They missed an opportunity with Sean as Stepin.  🤣

• 1 month later...

I will use this new thread to express my few casting choices.

I generally just cast mental images of the described cast in my mind with some exceptions.

Worf as Lan.

A mongolized, human version of him, with blue eyes.  I know really Michael Dorn, but Worf had the perfect temperment to be Lan.  I got this from the cover art on EOTW.

Jonathan Frakes (youngish Riker) as Moridin

On my 2nd read through when The Gathering Storm came out I cast:

Mila Kunis as Nynaeve

Her fury eyes are perfect for Nynaeve's tantrums.

I always picture Mat with the attitude of Han Solo from Episode 4 and 5.  Easy smile, cynical, and out for himself, but really a loyal guy you can count on in a pinch.

Rand: Conan O'Brien--j/k

Edited by Cipher

Here are some of my picks. I find it a little bit easier to brainstorm for bad guys and minor characters than for the mains.

Moridin - Kyle Machlachlan (thinking along the lines of his performance in "Twin Peaks The Return")

Ba'alzamon - Christopher Lee in his middle years

Padan Fain - Willem Dafoe

Lanfear - Jennifer Connelly

Asmodean - David Bowie

Moghedien - Winona Ryder

Demandred - Daniel Day Lewis

Sammael - Jon Voight

Semirhage - Grace Jones

Rahvin - Idris Elba

Graendal - Christina Hendricks

Mesaana - Bebe Neuwirth

Be'lal - Jack Cassidy

Aginor - Gary Oldman

Balthamel - a guy in a mask (Pedro Pascal? Jim Carrie? 🤣)

Mazrim Taim - Michael Fassbender (his appearance in 300 made me think of an Asha'man. Minus the coat..)

Corlan Dashiva - taxi driver era Robert Deniro

Halima - Eva Green

Lord Barthanes - Julian Glover

Ingtar - Toshiro Mifune

High Lord Turak - Chow Yun Fat

Bayle Domon - John Rhys-Davies

Berelain - Monica Bellucci

Jaichim Carridin - James Purefoy

Herid Fel - Peter Falk

The lesser gleeman Thom snorts at that one time - Larry David

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a few thoughts on this:

• Lanfear - Alexandra Daddario
  • Manfear - Matt Hatch 😁
  • Rand - Jude Law
  • Perrin - Tom Hardy
  • Matt - Ashton Kutcher
  • Elayne - Jessica Chastain
  • Aviendha - Alicia Vikander
  • Egwene - Zendaya
  • Nynaeve - Zazie Beetz
  • Thom - Jim Gaffigan 😁

I wouldn't be very good at casting ...

Honestly, the show has done a fantastic job. All of the actors have done well with what they were given - if you ask me. And despite the diversity of the TR so that there is more wide-spread appeal to a TV audience - what even hard-core book fans should care about is - do they "act-out" the character well! And I would say, they have!