DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Liah and shadar logoth

10 hours ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Just doing my first reread, on LOC. Maybe it doesn’t matter, but I can’t help but want answers for every question. Any clues why liah wasn’t found on initial trip? Where was she, what happened? 

I don't believe we have official details, but she got trapped somewhere or immediately fell to the selfish corruption and hid from everyone.  It slowly drove her more and more possessive and reclusive, similar to Golumn that by the time Rand found her again she was a shadow of her former self.

Since Rand wouldn't let his people go into buildings to look for her, Liah easily could have gotten lost in a building, maybe she fell and got knocked out, (the buildings are old she could have lost her footing and fell etc..  Rand's team only would have been able to find her if she was outside on the streets.

• 1 month later...

She could've easily have wound up inside the protected area set up by Moiraine in TEotW, and escaped Mashadar's devouring that way, while fleeing the terrors of the dark and claiming everything visible while it was light. (We never hear of her clearing it away, do we? Maybe in her tiredness she tied it and it stayed up for several years.)

3 hours ago, Kalessin said:

She could've easily have wound up inside the protected area set up by Moiraine in TEotW, and escaped Mashadar's devouring that way, while fleeing the terrors of the dark and claiming everything visible while it was light. (We never hear of her clearing it away, do we? Maybe in her tiredness she tied it and it stayed up for several years.)

It may have stayed for a time, but I think days not years...

I think to answer the original poster’s questions she probably just fell to Mashadar and in doing to become very paranoid over an incredibly short amount of time. While I might just be misremembering I think al’Thor looked/ called out for her when she was lost but didn’t get a response. But either way I think she just fell to Mashadar and became very paranoid and would not try to escape since she thought everything and everyone was after her.

side note- first time I read it I got a little teary eyed thinking she was dead. 
but just my unwanted .02 cents

4 hours ago, Some_random_novice said:

I think to answer the original poster’s questions she probably just fell to Mashadar and in doing to become very paranoid over an incredibly short amount of time. While I might just be misremembering I think al’Thor looked/ called out for her when she was lost but didn’t get a response. But either way I think she just fell to Mashadar and became very paranoid and would not try to escape since she thought everything and everyone was after her.

side note- first time I read it I got a little teary eyed thinking she was dead. 
but just my unwanted .02 cents

First of all, your two cents are absolutely wanted. That’s the purpose of forums! Second I appreciate your perspective…now that I think about it your answer seems so obvious that I don’t know why I ever asked the question! Thank you 

On 3/17/2023 at 2:08 AM, Kalessin said:

Never thought about moiraines wards! Good call 

Spending any extended period of time would infect her with at least the paranoia that the city fell to since every stone etc was tainted.  If one spent a month in there they would be constantly exposed to the taint.  She wasn't touched by Mashadar since we know anything touched by it dies.    As Rand and Sam's fight in the city showed there are safe places in the city but the idea she may of unknowingly stayed in the place Moiraine warded is an interesting thought.

2 hours ago, Sabio said:

Spending any extended period of time would infect her with at least the paranoia that the city fell to since every stone etc was tainted.  If one spent a month in there they would be constantly exposed to the taint.  She wasn't touched by Mashadar since we know anything touched by it dies.    As Rand and Sam's fight in the city showed there are safe places in the city but the idea she may of unknowingly stayed in the place Moiraine warded is an interesting thought.

Oh yeah that’s a good point, mashadar itself kills on the spot, but the evil behind it can infect and influence minds. I guess maybe I’m just a little stumped that the entire party was essentially untouched by the dangers of shadar logoth except this one person. The aiel typically follow Rand’s commands (and if the maidens don’t agree with something they make it quite clear to him). They’re warriors, strong minded and everyone else made it through by following Rand’s instructions. Like I said in my original post, maybe it doesn’t matter, but to me everything in WOT matters and this event confuses me. That it could happen to only one person and that no one even noticed. One of those mysteries, I guess…although the feedback you have all provided is very helpful and appreciated and puts the situation more in perspective for me. 

• 8 months later...

I don't have the books with me, [at work and wasn't issued a desk :p]. Did Rand's commands/prohibitions include not drinking/touching any water you might find? Aiel are fascinated by water and the balefire fight may have set one of the fountains working again or otherwise caused a pool or rivulet to form. Liah's quickly succumbing to the paranoia could simply be she found some water and had a sip or just ran her fingers through it. I think that would have been enough. And once paranoid, she would actively hide from everyone.