DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Best and worst books of the series?

torrente

Hey I just concluded Book 6 which had a great finish and I am ploughing through 7 at the moment, want to know which books are the best and worst so I know what to expect coming up.

My favourites so far . . .

Eye of the World

Dragon Reborn

Shadow Rising

Lord of Chaos

The Great Hunt

Fires of Heaven

. . . in that order. I didn't like Fires of Heaven much . . .too many wagon rides . . . and there was no suspense as the characters were never in any real danger.

Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

In my opinion,

-7 and 8 were ok, some good parts but nothing that really shines

-The ending of number nine is very cool! :P

-number 10 was slow, just setting stuff up for the explosion of events in 11.

my favorite would probly be 4 or 11. 11 because it was INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 4, well i love perrin. So ya 4 and 11. Umm, the worst books. 10! All that otheres i really liked but the only reason i got through 10 on my first 2 rereads(now on my third) was because of the carry over from the end of the 9th. But about half way through... BOREDOM KICKS IN!

but ya..

best=4,11

worst=10

Off the top of my head:

Best: The Shadow Rising

Worst: Crossroads of Twilight

If I had to put them in rank order from best to worst:

The Shadow Rising

The Fires of Heaven

Knife of Dreams

Lord of Chaos

The Great Hunt

The Eye of the World

Winter's Heart

A Path of Daggers

A Crown of Swords

The Dragon Reborn

The Crossroads of Twlight

Guest Barmacral

Book 10 is generally considered to be the slowest book in the series, making it for many people the most boring. Do not skip it though, if you decide to skip book 10 and just read book 11, you will be completely lost.

The Eye of the World rocked my world. And it only got better in The Great Hunt. But after The Fires of Heaven it's been one long, boring slog, especially Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight. My opinion is biased, though, since I base it on the ratio of Shadowspawn to tedious intrigue.

Well i am only in the middle of The Fires of Heaven. I thought the Shadow Rising was the best so far. The whole section on reliving the past lives back to the Age of Legends really rocked my socks. I re-read those two chapters three times just because i loved it so much. I was only a little disappointed with the end fight with Asmodean. He seemed relatively weak in comparison to the Forsaken that Rand had fought before that (Aginor, Balthamel, Ishamael, Be'Lal,) which made for slightly less interesting Power struggles and such. No Balefire? No exquisite swordplay?

EotW i half read years ago, and then picked it up last fall to finish, but i think i i need another read now that i'm enamoured in the series plot. The Great Hunt was fantastic. I thought Dragon Reborn was kind of slow until the end. I wasnt expecting to have the majority of a book be based on someone other then Rand, but i guess i needed to get used to that. It disappointed me that he leaves the Mountains of Mist in the beginning of the book, takes a moment to kill a few people in the middle of the book, and then at the end of the book is just in Tear climbing up the Stone. Nonetheless the series is eating me up. I cant read fast enough.

Best: Knife of Dreams, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, The Shadow Rising, The Great Hunt, The Eye of the World, Winter's Heart, A Crown of Swords.

Close but no cigar: The Dragon Reborn, The Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight.

Worst:.....

Yeah, I love them all. :D

• 12 years later...

I googled the worst book in the series because I'm 3/4ths of the way through book 10 and it's KILLING ME. It just started picking up a LITTLE bit. I mean, it felt like Elayne was either taking a bath or sipping bad tea for 200 hundred pages. 

All that to say, very excited to wrap up this book and get into book 11. 

To answer the question, book 9 was slow but one of my favorite endings. I couldn't put down the books between 5, 6, 7, 8. I read all of those within a month. Book 10 has taken me 4 months haha.

Although crossroads of twilight is the agreed upon worst, and I agree too, I have a feeling about ol’ book 10....

I think RJ was living in the world he created for that book.  Meaning he made it a lil mundane on purpose.

it’s a lull in the action, the calm before the storm, another good name for the book would have been The Eye of the Storm, because it’s calm in the eye, but you know the rest of the storm is coming.  

The story isn’t really advancing in any major ways.  This book is for drinking in the culture and politics and people of this world, it’s like a slice of life in the times of the day.  I think RJ loved his world and took the chance to live in it for a bit by writing Crossroads of Twilight.  

There should be an abridged version of this book that’s just 200 pages long, for 1st time readers and those looking to keep the action going on re-reads.

Edited by Denver Steve

Lord of Chaos is my favorite.  The conclusion is epic and I feel like the series started to dip in quality after that as the story was exponentially expanded by the addition of dozens of new plot threads until it quite literally dragged to a near-halt at my least favorite book (and most people's I think), Crossroads of Twilight.   I don't mind saying I really feel like Brandon Sanderson dragged the series out the muck.  Maybe RJ had plans to get things back on track and moving again but Knife of Dreams was only moderately less of a chore to read that CoT.   Towers of Midnight is my second favorite book. 

My top three:

Lord of Chaos

Towers of Midnight

The Great Hunt

• 2 months later...