DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where will S2 take the WoT

DojoToad

Season Two  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which direction does S2 move in relation to the books from S1?

• Moves closer to book content - but still has changes as they are adapting to a different medium with a compressed run.
    • About the same as S1 - with both minor and significant changes to characters, settings, and story.
    • Moves further from the books - due to Amazon strictures, creative choices, actor availability, whatever...

• Community Administrator
8 hours ago, Chivalry said:

I knew nothing of the franchise, was surprised to learn Rafe was involved with the movie. It was a fun flick, a throwback to earlier adventure films. Watching the film actually gave me some hope that Rafe might be able to rise to the occasion...we shall see, I guess.

For a video game adaptation, Uncharted wasn't bad, which is a compliment for a video game adaptation .

7 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

The question as always is about input. Yes he was involved but Uncharted went through almost 10 years of developmental hell. A number of scripts written and re written, Mark Wahlberg switched from playing one lead to the other because they changed to an origin movie, was Rafe a key part of that process or ancillary? Due to union rules you don’t have to do much to get a credit on a movie, an hours work editing a page of dialogue is enough. 

I'd say if he's listed as a writer on IMDB's main page, then he was probably involved with the last-iteration.

https://scriptmag.com/interviews-features/adapting-a-video-game-to-film-a-conversation-with-the-writers-of-uncharted

"I had gone to my team, my agents and managers in the feature space, to discuss video games that I loved, and thought could make great movies. I loved playing the game, so I actually chased Uncharted and ended up meeting with the executives at Sony. It actually came into effect quite naturally, they happened to be looking for someone at the same time that I was looking for something to write."

Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, long-time writing partners, joined the project later on in the process. According to Art, "Rafe was the one who got the project greenlit, so it was a greenlit project when we came onto it. There were other scripts that had been written. It was a long-gestating project. We worked with the character setups and acts that Rafe laid down that set the vectors for the movie. Then we hunted for what the best plot would be."

John Hanley Rosenberg and Mark D. Walker also have a story credit on the film. Matt explains how he and Art utilized their story idea to create the finished product.

7 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

The question as always is about input. Yes he was involved but Uncharted went through almost 10 years of developmental hell. A number of scripts written and re written, Mark Wahlberg switched from playing one lead to the other because they changed to an origin movie, was Rafe a key part of that process or ancillary? Due to union rules you don’t have to do much to get a credit on a movie, an hours work editing a page of dialogue is enough. 

Not unlike the 19 producers for WoT.  How much do they actually do?

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Not unlike the 19 producers for WoT.  How much do they actually do?

A producer's job involves planning, coordination and management around a movie's script and writing, casting, directing, and editing as well as finances, marketing, release and distribution. A film producer can work for a production company or independently to oversee film production.

According to the internet, from what I know a series like this may need more as you have different producers focussing on each episode, or on different locations (managing the logistics of each one), but on a lot of projects I think a lot of producers are there mainly because they source the money. 

3 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

According to the internet, from what I know a series like this may need more as you have different producers focussing on each episode, or on different locations (managing the logistics of each one), but on a lot of projects I think a lot of producers are there mainly because they source the money. 

So 2+ producers per episode, makes sense.

6 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I'm always a bit skeptical when movies advertise "from the producers of" because the involvement level can be so random.

On 1/7/2023 at 5:11 AM, Elessar said:

To be honest, there are so many changes in season 1 from the source material - and what seems to be the way forward - that I now (almost) consider the tv-show not Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time but an Alternate The Wheel of Time (as seen f.ex. in a parallell Portal Stone World, a New Turning of the Wheel).

You are not alone in this feeling. Even Brandon Sanderson said he is viewing it as another turning of the wheel. 

8 hours ago, Sabio said:

Getting a producer credit is also where the money is.

It's why most major actors insist on also being producers. If you think about it it is a full 180 from the first days of hollywood where studios owned the actors. 

Edited by Sir_Charrid

• 2 weeks later...

I think season 2 will more closely follow the great hunt and the dragon reborn Then season one followed eye of the world.

I'm not sure whether or not they'll introduce portal stones or even if they'll introduce certain characters That aren't really needed for the overall story.  But the general story arc I think will remain the same.  

The real challenge Is how they'll get all the characters that need to go on the hunt together back together after they all went their seperate ways.  

I have a feeling that the cold open for episode one of season 2 will involve Mat being hunted by Aes Sedai, And the reveal that his connection to the dagger was not fully broken but only partially healed just as it was in the books.  Moiraine will use this as an excuse to manipulate rand to return to help Hunt down Fain, And by the end of episode one, Rand, Mat, Perrin, and the Sheinarans will all be generally where they were in TGH.  

The real big change I'm thinking The day will make is that ishy won't be killed by rand snd be so won't be transformed into Moridin.  I doubt they'll want to take Additional time to find a new actor to play the role.  I think Ishy will remain himself throughout the show.

Edited by Dagon Thyne

8 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I think season 2 will more closely follow the great hunt and the dragon reborn Then season one followed eye of the world.

I'm not sure whether or not they'll introduce portal stones or even if they'll introduce certain characters That aren't really needed for the overall story.  But the general story arc I think will remain the same.  

The real challenge Is how they'll get all the characters that need to go on the hunt together back together after they all went their seperate ways.  

I have a feeling that the cold open for episode one of season 2 will involve Mat being hunted by Aes Sedai, And the reveal that his connection to the dagger was not fully broken but only partially healed just as it was in the books.  Moiraine will use this as an excuse to manipulate rand to return to help Hunt down Fain, And by the end of episode one, Rand, Mat, Perrin, and the Sheinarans will all be generally where they were in TGH.  

The real big change I'm thinking The day will make is that ishy won't be killed by rand snd be so won't be transformed into Moridin.  I doubt they'll want to take Additional time to find a new actor to play the role.  I think Ishy will remain himself throughout the show.

They can kill Ishy but have the actor return insisting he be called Moridin. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think it will (unfortunately) get farther from the books. I just think this because they have a couple of things to explain like Moraine being banished from the Tower. Rand (I think) basically telling Moraine to let everyone else know he’s dead at the end of the season then waltzing off somewhere. Also Mat just isn’t with everyone else, seriously how are they going to deal with that since Mat was healed from the dagger in episode (6?) doesn’t need to go to the Tower to be healed. They also need to get Egwene and Nynaeve to the Tower without Moraine plopping them off there. So they have already strayed far far far away (in another galaxy or perhaps wold via portal stone) from what they have changed for the show.
Not even mentioning the whole One Power thing, which seems very odd (Egwene’s phoenix tears or linking and still being burned out), but I a lot of the plot will be the most difficult to keep at least close enough to the books. 

I hope they are able to keep a bit closer to the books either by doing subtle (or even not so subtle) changes with some stuff. Personally books 2 and 3 were what really convinced me to the read all 15. 

just my unwanted .02 cents. 

Some things are reconcilable, some things are not.  They are folding Books 2 and 3 together, not back to back, but interleaving them. So we can expect events like, say, Perrin freeing an Aiel from a cage, while Perrin chases the Horn.  Perrin is mostly on his Book 2 journey (chasing the Horn of Valere) but a lot of that journey was from Rand's POV, so he may take up some of the things Rand did, or he may bring in things from Dragon Reborn.  Rand was barely in Dragon Reborn, but he /was/ running off on his own, which he also ends up doing in a significant part of The Great Hunt due to the Portal Stones.  So you can expect some similarity to his Great Hunt story without the Portal Stones.  Mat was barely in The Great Hunt except for blowing the horn at the end, so he will have a lot from his Dragon Reborn journey, but end up doing his one Great Hunt thing.  It looks like Nynaeve and Egwene will likely do mostly Great Hunt things, with just a dash of Dragon Reborn things moved in.  And, of course, everything has to be cut down a lot.

So, yes, it is a bunch of changes from the books.  

But is it so different in the end?

Moiraine doesn't take Egwene and Nynaeve to the Tower in the Great Hunt.  She never returns to the Tower in the whole series.  So what if the show starts the girls in the Tower and never goes back?
Mat starts the Dragon Reborn in the Tower. Is it a huge change that he starts out there because he was left there rather than being dragged back on a litter (which I think would have happened if he had gotten stabbed if Barney Harris hadn't left)?
Egwene hardly ever heals anyone in the books. Is it such a big change that she doesn't heal because she's not very good at it, or if she doesn't heal because she learned healing 'wrong' when she did it the one time in Episode 8?

It's going to take imagination to keep it close the the story, and it may take more time than we get.  There will be future cuts that need to be made because of filming and schedule changes. But I can (and have) worked out how to get everyone to exactly the same place for the beginning of Shadow Rising for the books, so I know they haven't eliminated any required paths by the choices they have made so far.

2 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

Some things are reconcilable, some things are not.  They are folding Books 2 and 3 together, not back to back, but interleaving them. So we can expect events like, say, Perrin freeing an Aiel from a cage, while Perrin chases the Horn.  Perrin is mostly on his Book 2 journey (chasing the Horn of Valere) but a lot of that journey was from Rand's POV, so he may take up some of the things Rand did, or he may bring in things from Dragon Reborn.  Rand was barely in Dragon Reborn, but he /was/ running off on his own, which he also ends up doing in a significant part of The Great Hunt due to the Portal Stones.  So you can expect some similarity to his Great Hunt story without the Portal Stones.  Mat was barely in The Great Hunt except for blowing the horn at the end, so he will have a lot from his Dragon Reborn journey, but end up doing his one Great Hunt thing.  It looks like Nynaeve and Egwene will likely do mostly Great Hunt things, with just a dash of Dragon Reborn things moved in.  And, of course, everything has to be cut down a lot.

So, yes, it is a bunch of changes from the books.  

But is it so different in the end?

Moiraine doesn't take Egwene and Nynaeve to the Tower in the Great Hunt.  She never returns to the Tower in the whole series.  So what if the show starts the girls in the Tower and never goes back?
Mat starts the Dragon Reborn in the Tower. Is it a huge change that he starts out there because he was left there rather than being dragged back on a litter (which I think would have happened if he had gotten stabbed if Barney Harris hadn't left)?
Egwene hardly ever heals anyone in the books. Is it such a big change that she doesn't heal because she's not very good at it, or if she doesn't heal because she learned healing 'wrong' when she did it the one time in Episode 8?

It's going to take imagination to keep it close the the story, and it may take more time than we get.  There will be future cuts that need to be made because of filming and schedule changes. But I can (and have) worked out how to get everyone to exactly the same place for the beginning of Shadow Rising for the books, so I know they haven't eliminated any required paths by the choices they have made so far.

Thank you for the thoughts.  It doesn't have to be (and won't be) the same as the books.  As long it is good.

But how many times are the girls going to get kidnapped?

I think it's three times in those books, I'm guessing just once with Eggy and the Seanchan, that seems to important to skip.

Which means we'll miss the Aiel saving them and Nyn accidentally Balefiring them.

Matt will probably save them in Falme which covers him being a hero against impossible odds and his better judgement.

I'm thinking Rand will end up in Tear and his fight with Balsy will merge to the sky vision, apparently that will be good enough for the heroes of the horn.

We're.. we're not getting the flicker scenes are we..?

Sigh.. I'm hoping for the best here but I'm dreading Amazon isn't committed and next thing you know they're going to try and convince us through cleansing s the last battle 😢

Edit.. mods, I do not know what is happening with the paragraph spacing here. I've attempted to fix it but.. it's not liking me. If you could do me a kind favour and get rid of the unnecessary gaps I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Elder_Haman
Fixed spacing

1 hour ago, A Memory Of Why said:

But how many times are the girls going to get kidnapped

I think it's three times in those books, I'm guessing just once with Eggy and the Seanchan, that seems to important to skip

Which means we'll miss the Aiel saving them and Nyn accidentally Balefiring them.

Matt will probably save them in Falme which covers him being a hero against impossible odds and his better judgement.

I'm thinking Rand will end up in Tear and his fight with Balsy will merge to the sky vision, apparently that will be good enough for the heroes of the horn.

We're.. we're not getting the flicker scenes are we..?

Sigh.. I'm hoping for the best here but I'm dreading Amazon isn't committed and next thing you know they're going to try and convince us through cleansing s the last battle 😢

Edit.. mods, I do not know what is happening with the paragraph spacing here. I've attempted to fix it but.. it's not liking me. If you could do me a kind favour and get rid of the unnecessary gaps I'd appreciate it.

I see Egwene and Nyn returning to the tower, leaving it once (to go to falme) and post falme learning the black sisters have gone to Tear. 

I hope we see them get taken by the Mydrahl, that scene is one I wanted to see on TV it is a great early introduction to the Aiel, and will look great on TV. 

I then see season 3 potentially ending with them being captured and taken to tear. You can then set up season 3 with a cliffhanger Matt and Rand looking at the tower from different angles the girls imprisoned and no sense as to how they will be rescued. That then feeds nicely into season 3, taking tear is an episode. Alternatively you have tear taken at the very end of season 2. Either way I think that will be the fight where Rand sheathes the sword and not falme. We don’t need to see that battle twice, just as we don’t need to see the girls go back and forth to tar Valon multiple times. Both girls could be made accepted at the same time without affecting what is really still the early intro story too much. I also don’t know if cutting the accepted ceremony would be awful, in the grand scheme of things as cool as it would look you don’t gain much from it. It doesn’t really come up much later in the books in terms of being a motivating force for either character. 

On 2/25/2023 at 3:58 PM, A Memory Of Why said:

At your service.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, Sir_Charrid said:

I mean that doesn’t inspire confidence. D&D have admitted their first effort at the pilot was a disaster and they got lucky with it turning into something so good. I think it’s why they stopped at season 4 ;). 

Which is why the latter seasons weren't as on par as theirs. Sad really. 

Unfortunately I think it's 3.

1)  The show was described as Moiraine going on an adventure to find the dragon yet she is missing from virtually 9 books. Whether it goes for 5 or 8 seasons means quite a lot of creative liberties so she remains a main character, maybe they give her some parts from the others E.g Dumai's Wells becomes Moiraine rescuing Rand (will be really pd off if it's not close to the books).

2) The magic system has already been trashed & will only continue here are 2 examples: i) Rand is on the same power level as the most powerful forsaken & more powerful than all female Aes Sedai with only Nynaeve coming close & of the goodies only Alivia the Seanchan is on par, but, based on s1 misandry he will only be Egwene level. ii) in the books males are more powerful channelers but balance comes by them being unable to link unlike females (up to 13) but as in 1 we can't have blokes being stronger or having brains (e.g. Agelmar being a complete moron)

3) They have also killed off a great general, Agelmar, & s2 info seems to indicate Gaul in a cage has been given to Avi so how many other key secondary characters get nurfed? E.g. Will Davram Basheer even exist?

4) Rafe has said it is a different turning of the wheel to explain away many changes but for a supposed book fan he forgets souls wear many faces & names during the turnings of the wheel yet the shows characters have the same names in this turning? What is the chance of that? What else is he going to stuff up?

I could go on further but must say I'll keep watching but will do once all episodes for a season drop.  Hopefully they improve their implementation of themes e.g. explaining the bond via Steppin wasted a whole episode & battle scenes aren't stupid i.e. cavalry charging into battle but then show them reinforcing the wall fort

Edited by Shortstuff
Wording

6 hours ago, Shortstuff said:

Unfortunately I think it's 3.

1)  The show was described as Moiraine going on an adventure to find the dragon yet she is missing from virtually 9 books. Whether it goes for 5 or 8 seasons means quite a lot of creative liberties so she remains a main character, maybe they give her some parts from the others E.g Dumai's Wells becomes Moiraine rescuing Rand (will be really pd off if it's not close to the books).

2) The magic system has already been trashed & will only continue here are 2 examples: i) Rand is on the same power level as the most powerful forsaken & more powerful than all female Aes Sedai with only Nynaeve coming close & of the goodies only Alivia the Seanchan is on par, but, based on s1 misandry he will only be Egwene level. ii) in the books males are more powerful channelers but balance comes by them being unable to link unlike females (up to 13) but as in 1 we can't have blokes being stronger or having brains (e.g. Agelmar being a complete moron)

3) They have also killed off a great general, Agelmar, & s2 info seems to indicate Gaul in a cage has been given to Avi so how many other key secondary characters get nurfed? E.g. Will Davram Basheer even exist?

4) Rafe has said it is a different turning of the wheel to explain away many changes but for a supposed book fan he forgets souls wear many faces & names during the turnings of the wheel yet the shows characters have the same names in this turning? What is the chance of that? What else is he going to stuff up?

I could go on further but must say I'll keep watching but will do once all episodes for a season drop.  Hopefully they improve their implementation of themes e.g. explaining the bond via Steppin wasted a whole episode & battle scenes aren't stupid i.e. cavalry charging into battle but then show them reinforcing the wall fort

Will definitely be interesting to see how many more changes come.  How many of the changes will be forced by decisions made in S1, how many will be forced by time allotment provided by Amazon, how many will be choices made by Rafe and the team just because they felt it was a better direction?

Will we even know why changes were made?  I suppose there will be some answers in interviews.

I'm not sure how it'd all tie in, but I can almost imagine coming back to Rand after a short time skip, and he's joined a band of Shienarian mercenaries or just soldiers, which brings in Uno and Ingtar (or equivalents) and gets him some martial training. Not sure if he ties directly into the horn, or if he's going straight for Callandor after some revelation.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, Mailman said:

The issue for me feels like he has gone from floor worker to CEO not supervisor. Getting a bit of experience in leadership roles at the intermediate levels would have seemed like a more natural progression.

This is particularly worrying since it is such a complicated job making a series of this size into a TV show.

I am surprised that Rafe has managed to get his feet under the God of War table since he was attached to Uncharted which was hardly a well-received video game adaption.

He was on the Uncharted movie?  It was stupid fun, but was not dragged down by hot button cultural issues.  Nobody takes video game movies seriously, because they are not solely based on stories.  Book adaptations are much different--the best ones hold true to the spirit of the source (Harry Potter, LOTR, GOT s1-s5).  The world of WoT TV is not the same world as WoT books.

2 hours ago, Skipp said:

In what ways is it not the same world?

It starts in Emonds Field, which is supposed to be an isolated rural community where the blood of Manetheron runs deep. Should generally be of same ethnicity and they come into the wide world of differnces in their travels. The people of EF have puritan-like values which is revealed in Nynaeve's character who is an authority figure and comes across like a know-it-all church marm--condemning people for their speech and dress. The 2 Rivers in the show doesn't come across like that at all.

In the show:

-Blademasters can't fight off a trolloc while Wisdoms can kill them on 2 different occassions with a dagger.

-One Source of magic rather than the binary.

-Rage healing--in the books it is a complex weave that only few channelers can manage.

-Cry healing

-Gaidin aren't stone hard men devoted to their cause of protecting their Aes Sedai, but rather regular guys who get wrapped up in sexual relationships.

-Aes Sedai don't become despondent and boderline suicidal when their Gaidin die.

-Sheinarans are incompetent guardians of the blight.

-The white cloaks don't even dress correctly.  Should be suits of armor with white talbards and cloaks.  The clothes were good for Valda, but not the troops.

1 hour ago, Cipher said:

It starts in Emonds Field, which is supposed to be an isolated rural community where the blood of Manetheron runs deep. Should generally be of same ethnicity and they come into the wide world of differnces in their travels. The people of EF have puritan-like values which is revealed in Nynaeve's character who is an authority figure and comes across like a know-it-all church marm--condemning people for their speech and dress. The 2 Rivers in the show doesn't come across like that at all.

In the show:

-Blademasters can't fight off a trolloc while Wisdoms can kill them on 2 different occassions with a dagger.

-One Source of magic rather than the binary.

-Rage healing--in the books it is a complex weave that only few channelers can manage.

-Cry healing

-Gaidin aren't stone hard men devoted to their cause of protecting their Aes Sedai, but rather regular guys who get wrapped up in sexual relationships.

-Aes Sedai don't become despondent and boderline suicidal when their Gaidin die.

-Sheinarans are incompetent guardians of the blight.

-The white cloaks don't even dress correctly.  Should be suits of armor with white talbards and cloaks.  The clothes were good for Valda, but not the troops.

Not this race stuff again.  There is no reason why EF cann't be as diverse it is in the show.  Check out Daniel Greene's and Mat Hatch's video on the subject.  But even in the text of the books it describes Cenn Buie as dark as an old root.  Egwene as having the same dark colour as her hair and even though she is described as pale in another book you can still have dark colouring and still be pale.

But yes, the Two Rivers in general has lost their extremely puritan status, I don't think this is going to have any effect on the story.

Blademasters;  You mean when Lan takes on a dozen or so Trollocs while Moiraine is channeling?  Or are you referring to Tam who is 20 years out of practice but manages to hold his own and was clearly winning until the Trolloc used his large stature and Tam's lack of room to Maneuver to win?  As for Nynaeve's first kill she got to get a solid sneak attack that luckily was a death blow otherwise the Trolloc wouldn't have let go as it dragged her into the pool.  I wouldn't count luck as the trait of a great warrior unless we are talking about Mat.  I am afraid I don't remember Nynaeve killing a second Trolloc so you will have to remind me.

The One Power is still clearly binary, while it wasn't addressed in season 1 I imagine they will bring it up during Egwene's/Nynaeve's training probably intersecting with Rand struggling alone.  The Origin shorts are considered canon and clearly address the dual nature of the source as well as Latra Posae Decume using the word Saidin in her conversation with LTT.  And yes I wish they would have had Moiraine respond with "I cannot teach you to channel as a Bird could not teach a fish to fly" when Rand asked to be trained, but the lack of said response does not mean the Source is not split.

Rage Healing;  Not sure which books you have been reading as Nynaeve had been healing unconsciously for years and her trigger would often be anger.

Cry Healing;  While poorly executed due to unfortunate circumstances we see plenty of channelers discover weaves they didn't know they could do. I don't believe this particular example will become an issue in the future.

Gaidin;  In the books, for the longest time, the only example we have of a warder is Lan.... from the PoV of mostly Lan.  Lan continues to be a stoic badass, particularly in front of the e5.  In private with Moiraine I would expect for him to be a bit more open.  As for Stepin, Maksim and Ivhon out of any warders I would think the Green Warders would have a more open personality.

"-Aes Sedai don't become despondent and borderline suicidal when their Gaidin die."  I am not sure which side you are arguing here.  I don't think we see an Aes Sedai lose their warder in the show during season 1 but in the books we know both from Alanna, Suian and Leane that losing a warder is an extremely painful process.

Sheinarans;  How are they incompetent in guarding the blight?  They lost guarding the pass in the show, they had nearly lost the battle in the books except for the timely intervention of a Deus ex Rand.  Or are you referring to Agelmar's initial attitude towards Moiraine?  While it is a change from the book once Moiraine announces her actual intention Agelmar apologizes and becomes a gracious host.

The Whitecloaks;  Yes, the Whitecloaks general look has some differences.  Instead of generic Knights Templar they dressed them more as Warrior Monks.  And while that band of Whitecloaks didn't have full armour while traveling around the woods we know that they will have armour when charging into battle for season 2.  The fullplate and chain look from the books is quite heavy and taxing on the horses unless you really need it.

I believe most of these details to be fairly minor in the grand scheme of the world of The Wheel of Time, if they are infact issues at all. The biggest change they made to the World was 2 changes to saidar, being able to be burnt out while linking and saidar users not being able to detect one another without actively channeling.