DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How many times have you reread WOT?

chongjasmine

Let's see, the first book I read was Lord of Chaos, then I started from the beginning, and read up to it again. Then I went along adding a re-read with every new book that came out, and finally, I've re-read the complete series at least twice. But I've re-read Lord of Chaos one more time than I've re-read all the books up to it, and the rest of the books incrementing by one every time a new book came out.

I only started during COVID times, so I'm at one read for the entire series.

There's a rather large pile of books waiting to be read before I do a re-read.

A taste of the list:

-Warbreaker (just finished the prologue, and already had a few ahaah!-moments from Rhythm of War)

-Dune Messiah (and if I like it, Children and God Emperor, after which I'll probably stop)

-Artemis
-Project Hail Mary
-Cytonic
-Red Rising

The whole series front to back in one go precisely once; however, I've read and reread the first several books countless times, up through Fires of Heaven. 

My initial forays stalled out in the late 90's with college, etc. but when I saw last year that WoT was going to be adapted for TV I figured I'd better get on with it prior to release. 

I'm currently toying with the idea of a complete reread this winter, after having had a bit of a chance to digest, so to speak, the first go 'round. Rereading New Spring at the moment.

I have not read any other books nearly as much as WoT.  And considering the time commitment required to read these gigantic books, there is just something special about them - they are so re-readable.

I love Dune, LotR, Ender's Game and some others - and even though the time commitment isn't nearly as onerous as WoT, I'm more likely to read Jordan than my other favorites.

Edited by DojoToad

• 2 weeks later...

When I got the series LOC was out, I then went through a stage of re reading the entire series again every time a new book came out, managed this up until Winters heart. 

I then re-read the whole series when I knew a Memory of Light was coming out and managed to time it so I finished my second read through of Towers of Midnight the day MOL released. 

Since then I have read the series twice more and am starting another read through now, although not reading as intensely and have some other books on the go at the same time. 

On 12/5/2022 at 4:13 AM, Elgee said:

The earlier books over 30 times. All of the rest except the last 3 at least 15 times. The last 1 only twice.

Probably something similar. Read EOTW very close to when it first published. So probably the earlier the book the more re reads I have done. Memory of light I'm guessing I have already re read 5 or 6 times.

I don't think I have ever been bored on a re read

• 2 weeks later...

Books 1-11 + New Spring had been translated to Finnish when I started my first read maybe 15 years ago. 12-14 have not been translated yet. Most of my reads of RJ books are in Finnish back in the day while I waited for the final books.

I've read 1-11 at least 10 times.

New Spring once. Don't know why I never cared to reread.

12&13 a few times. 12 is perhaps my favorite book

14 twice

I've reread only Rand's chapters a couple of times when I didn't have time or energy for all of the other stuff. Nice way to fly through the best character arc in the series.

Full reread only once and in audiobook format. Did that in the last two years. Hadn't read any of the books since AMoL released and I finished it.

I doubt I'll do many full rereads anymore, though that may change as years go by.

I've not read any of the additional books and don't know if I ever will. Just not interested.

I have a lot of fond memories of my first read(s). One full book a day was easy back then lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

FWVVLIW, I'm starting a re-read now. I've almost finished tEotW and have decided that it was the Ogier that gave RJ the chance to break out of the tLotR set of tropes. They're Ent-ish, Elf-ish, and Loial's character owed very little to most other fantasy characters, except for perhaps Simon Snowlock in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Loial also offers RJ the opportunity for introducing the alternative worlds concept through the Ways, which he later develops through the Portal Stones and Tel'aranrhiod.

To avoid re-read burnout, I'm playing with swapping key opposites around, eg: Sheep raided the wolf pens; Sheep had been after the bears, too, where a sheep had not been seen in years.; Sheep were all very well, his manner said, things that any man who kept wolves and bears must be aware of; and the like.

10 hours ago, Kalessin said:

FWVVLIW, I'm starting a re-read now. I've almost finished tEotW and have decided that it was the Ogier that gave RJ the chance to break out of the tLotR set of tropes. They're Ent-ish, Elf-ish, and Loial's character owed very little to most other fantasy characters, except for perhaps Simon Snowlock in Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Loial also offers RJ the opportunity for introducing the alternative worlds concept through the Ways, which he later develops through the Portal Stones and Tel'aranrhiod.

To avoid re-read burnout, I'm playing with swapping key opposites around, eg: Sheep raided the wolf pens; Sheep had been after the bears, too, where a sheep had not been seen in years.; Sheep were all very well, his manner said, things that any man who kept wolves and bears must be aware of; and the like.

I doubt Jordan was pulling from the Dragonbone Chair for EotW, considering the former wasn’t published until October of 1988, and the latter in January of 1990. Doesn’t seem enough time.