DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is the continuing absence of a release date concerning to you?

templar7

11 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Season 1 release date was announced just a few months prior to release, right? I expect news this year

exactly. we already knew it was 2023, and we already know that amazon doesn't announce stuff coming out until a few months before. so, no news so far is neither bad nor good; it's simply too early to get an official release date.

26 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

exactly. we already knew it was 2023, and we already know that amazon doesn't announce stuff coming out until a few months before. so, no news so far is neither bad nor good; it's simply too early to get an official release date.

Not too early if it is being released in January...

😝

16 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

How so?

Its a bit off topic but the issue which causes the greatest long term impact is that they allowed the leader of a circle to burn out the members of the circle (for no more than a nice special effect).  This was stated to be absolutely impossible in the books and without this safeguard the various occasions when persons suspicious of each other agreed to participate in a circle become increasingly unlikely.

1 minute ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Its a bit off topic but the issue which causes the greatest long term impact is that they allowed the leader of a circle to burn out the members of the circle (for no more than a nice special effect).  This was stated to be absolutely impossible in the books and without this safeguard the various occasions when persons suspicious of each other agreed to participate in a circle become increasingly unlikely.

They said they made this change specifically to introduce an element of risk so that circles are not the answer to everything, or something to that effect.  They did not do it, as you put it, for just a special effect, they are adapting the story with this change in mind.

1 hour ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

This was stated to be absolutely impossible in the books and without this safeguard the various occasions when persons suspicious of each other agreed to participate in a circle become increasingly unlikely.

The occasions when people suspicious of each other agreed to participate in a circle /were supposed/ to be unlikely, and it took much of the books and the actions of ta'veran to get to where they were willing to do it.  The more strange question was why didn't they always use circles for everything since it made channeling so safe no one would ever burn out?

I would say another potentially big plot change is letting egwene heal nynaeve with the power. in the books egwene doesn't have any significant healing capability. that said, I can't remember a single scene from the book where egwene having healing skill would have changed anything. so, not a big deal after all.

oh, perhaps the biggest potential plot problem is that five half-trained channelers stopped a huge trolloc army. sure, channelers are powerful, but if they were that powerful armies would be pointless. the grunt in the spear wall is there because aes sedai alone can't do everything.

20 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I would say another potentially big plot change is letting egwene heal nynaeve with the power. in the books egwene doesn't have any significant healing capability. that said, I can't remember a single scene from the book where egwene having healing skill would have changed anything. so, not a big deal after all.

oh, perhaps the biggest potential plot problem is that five half-trained channelers stopped a huge trolloc army. sure, channelers are powerful, but if they were that powerful armies would be pointless. the grunt in the spear wall is there because aes sedai alone can't do everything.

Unfortunately, worst part of the entire season...bad CGI defeated by bad plot. In the process, they snatched away the first "wow moment" from the Dragon Reborn. I hated that scene.

21 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

Look on the bright side - perhaps the timing is due to re-shooting/ recutting the last episode of season 1 because they realised that what they did there completely messed up the plotting for the rest of the show.

I don't know about ruining anything, but I'm on page when it comes to getting things just right. Also re-shoots are pretty common on high end productions. I just want some news.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

I'm hoping that that healing gives Egwene a block that will stop her from being able to heal for the rest of the series, to make it have a solid consequence. She doesn't need to heal, and her not being able to helps raise the stakes a little for her and those around her.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

Well, it did involve power greater than anyone has seen in a 1000 years (Nynaeve), and they upped the stakes by having the circle cause a temptation to pull too much that will cause all those in the circle to burn out.  Women in the past in the Book universe have been able to wipe out huge trolloc armies individually (see the fall of Manatheran). That means thee show actually gave /more/ explanation as to why Aes Sedai don't stop powerful armies normally.

The argument that they are 'half-trained channelers' is obviously irrelevant...Amelisa was fully trained and she was directing the flows.  Given her position, she would certainly have studied battle magic and fighting trollocs above all else.   And Nynaeve and Egwene together certainly had enough power.

Of Karene in the series, Moiraine said she can stop armies by herself.   So even outside that special circumstance, in the show Aes Sedai are considered able to stop armies. But there are the three oaths that stop the Aes Sedai from using the One Power in battle, so obviously nations would still want to use armies with spears. 

3 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

The argument that they are 'half-trained channelers' is obviously irrelevant...Amelisa was fully trained and she was directing the flows.  Given her position, she would certainly have studied battle magic and fighting trollocs above all else.   And Nynaeve and Egwene together certainly had enough power.

Absolutely not irrelevant.

Amelisa was too weak to become full Aes Sedai. Highly doubtful that she would have been trusted to do much in the way of offensive training without the ability to progress to full sister. Certainly would have had no training handling the amount of power required to destroy over 10,000 shadowspawn. Remember Moiraine an experienced channeler and among the most powerful in the tower had trouble dealing with a few hundred in episode 1.

Egwene only channeled for the first time around 5 weeks earlier, (Moiraine guided her in the woods after leaving the two rivers) so probably negligible power along with 2 wilders who again would be below a full sister's strength.

7 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

Of Karene in the series, Moiraine said she can stop armies by herself.   So even outside that special circumstance, in the show Aes Sedai are considered able to stop armies. But there are the three oaths that stop the Aes Sedai from using the One Power in battle, so obviously nations would still want to use armies with spears. 

Stopping an army and destroying an army are not the same thing.

An army won't blindly charge to certain death. Too many casualties will push the soldiers to flee. Charging a channeler is suicide for the first dozens who do it. The others would break, even though they could reach the channeler eventually if they would keep pushing.

So you can be able to stop an army, i.e. deter it from advancing, without being able to destroy it

12 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Rand singlehandedly stopped an entire Trolloc army in A Memory of Light (I think...might have been Towers of Midnight). So the most powerful channeler in the world certainly can stop an army. It's just that most channelers aren't that powerful.

He could hardly stand afterwards, and he said that it was utterly knackering. Hence, it wasn't feasible to fight the whole war that way. If your powerful channelers wear themselves out so much that they can't channel, they are pretty useless.

I didn't like the scene in the show, either. Those five untrained/barely trained channelers should not have been able to do anything against those Trollocs. For me, it took away the signficance of Rand being able to do it - because he is a zillion times more powerful than everyone else on the planet.

I think the scene was poorly done, but could have been better had a few details been changed.

The main source of power is Nyneave, and at that point she's somewhere between Moiraine and Moghedien (her strength at the end of book 4). Add in Amalisa, who would be of mediocre strength at best, that really isn't enough to justify the destructive power showcased. My issue is that it would be fine if they had done a better job of showing Amalisa basically going nuclear (like Eldrene) in order to have enough power. 

Unfortunately it feels like they did it the wrong way around: she blows up the army and then, unable to let go, pulls too much of the power. Should be the other way around.

As for Egwene healing Nyneave, it doesn't really matter to me. It wasn't done well at all (looked like she was healing death, so not good for casual audiences), but Egwene actually having healing ability unlike in the book changes absolutely nothing other than a passing detail.

Edited by MasterAblar

1 hour ago, Gypsum said:

Rand singlehandedly stopped an entire Trolloc army in A Memory of Light (I think...might have been Towers of Midnight). So the most powerful channeler in the world certainly can stop an army. It's just that most channelers aren't that powerful.

He could hardly stand afterwards, and he said that it was utterly knackering. Hence, it wasn't feasible to fight the whole war that way. If your powerful channelers wear themselves out so much that they can't channel, they are pretty useless.

I didn't like the scene in the show, either. Those five untrained/barely trained channelers should not have been able to do anything against those Trollocs. For me, it took away the signficance of Rand being able to do it - because he is a zillion times more powerful than everyone else on the planet.

Rand killed hundreds of thousands of trollocks in Maradon, right? That's my head canon at least.

8 hours ago, Mailman said:

Absolutely not irrelevant.

Amelisa was too weak to become full Aes Sedai. Highly doubtful that she would have been trusted to do much in the way of offensive training without the ability to progress to full sister. Certainly would have had no training handling the amount of power required to destroy over 10,000 shadowspawn. Remember Moiraine an experienced channeler and among the most powerful in the tower had trouble dealing with a few hundred in episode 1.

Egwene only channeled for the first time around 5 weeks earlier, (Moiraine guided her in the woods after leaving the two rivers) so probably negligible power along with 2 wilders who again would be below a full sister's strength.

Anyone's skill except Amelisa's was completely irrelevant: Egwene (An Aes Sedai with less than a year's training) defeated the Seanchen attack on the white tower with circles of novices.   

Moiraine said she spent many years in the Tower.  She may have been too weak to become Aes Sedai, but she was more than Morgase's level.  They showed she had an affinity to fire with her lighting the lamps.  Amelisa's relative weakness is from strength in the power, not 'trustworthiness'. In fact, making her so weak gives her two bonuses to learning very destructive magics:  1) She's too weak (alone) to actually do much harm or be a threat to an army, so it's safe to teach it to her even if she is going to leave without taking the three oaths. 2) She's more likely to be able to find a way to maximize the output of damage with the minimal amount of power.  Androl is extremely weak in the power, for example, but is very very good at using that tiny amount of power to do gates, which normally would take a lot more power.  Amelisa was, from everything we've seen of her character, desperate to learn how to defend her city with the power.  She would maximize everything she could to learn that.   AND she was essentially a queen in an allied nation in a time when Tar Valon needs allies.  You think they would deny her trying to learn how to fight trollocs with the power and risk pissing her (and her brother) off? 

Rand destroyed an army with no training at all.  Yes, he's the dragon reborn, but lightening is not the most complex weave.  He did it before he even knew he could channel.  All it needs is power.

Edited by WhiteVeils

• Community Administrator

I don't know why I have to remind books reades of this, but Egwene is not a terrible healer. She just wasn't as good at healing as Nynaeve. 

We are told that she has "no talent for healing", yet her weaves were good enough to impress the Yellow Ajah.

Talent =/= Capability 

22 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I don't know why I have to remind books reades of this, but Egwene is not a terrible healer. She just wasn't as good at healing as Nynaeve. 

We are told that she has "no talent for healing", yet her weaves were good enough to impress the Yellow Ajah.

Talent =/= Capability 

True.  Though the only time she uses it for something important is healing Gawyn near the end of the series, which is a minor point and easily changed by calling in someone else for healing. That's why I'd like to see a consequence of Egwene's actions in E8 be potentially a block on healing in the show that isn't there in the books. It makes any fight she's near without Nynaeve a little more dangerous (she can't heal the wounded), and gives her a long-term consequence for what it did.

Also, and this is /very/ end game, it could handle the 'she healed death' problem (even though she wasn't supposed to be dead).  The Flame of Tar Valon spell was specifically healing the pattern, the damage to the pattern.  It could be that Egwene actually tapped the basics of that spell when she healed Nynaeve.  Then the block is actually because she learned to heal 'wrong'....she learned to heal by doing the Flame of Tar Valon spell.  So when she finally casts it in the Last Battle, having figured out why she is blocked there at the end, it can heal the pattern, and the people around her, everything.  This ties the end back to the beginning (which is obviously something very important to them to do....see Rand's plot).  Sarah Nakamura hinted on twitter that this might be something that they were looking at when someone mentioned it online.

In fact, come to think of it, healing Gawyn from near death in the Tower is so close to the Last Battle, they can use that to show her trying to figure out and maybe just working out, barely, the Flame of Tar Valon spell, which then comes to full fruition in her last moments.

Edited by WhiteVeils