DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

OT from RoP Thread.

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator
2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

An opinion?  Sure we all have opinions  and some of us come to DM to express them.  We also come here to interact, share thoughts and emotions, ask questions, and speculate about the future.

If it was good enough just to be grateful for a cool show - then there would be no one on DM praising it.  They want to interact with people that enjoyed it as much as they did.  "That scene was way better than the book."  "Did everyone love what they did with that character as much as I did?"

Same for the other way around.  "What were they thinking in that scene?  Ugh!"  "Why is a minor character getting so much screen time?"

The world is a lot different than when Willow and Krull came out - including places like DM.  People come here because it enhances their experience with the books, the show, or likely both.  Your statement seems to say be grateful or ignore it and let that be the end.  Don't bring your opinions or thoughts.  Am I misunderstanding?

Back in my day, if you didn't like a show, you turned the channel.

There's having an opinion about a show you don't like.

And then there's people who make hating the show's existence their personality/internet persona. 

The former are appreciated, the latter are tiring.

33 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Back in my day, if you didn't like a show, you turned the channel.

There's having an opinion about a show you don't like.

And then there's people who make hating the show's existence their personality/internet persona. 

The former are appreciated, the latter are tiring.

It is not your day (nor mine) any longer. 😥

People who make loving the show's existence their personality/internet persona are just as tiring...

Edited by DojoToad

5 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

It is not your day (nor mine) any longer. 😥

People who make loving the show's existence their personality/internet persona are just as tiring...

I don't fully believe the next generation is in charge of social media much more than we, or previous generations, are. It's a cruel technocratic machine.

I hope it's not too late to take back the reins of our future.

30 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

People who make loving the books existence their personality/internet persona are just as tiring...

Changed one word in the quote, and that changes things, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Or make cheerleading for the show their entire personality.

Yes... and again, look where you are.

Those who make "hating" the show and/or book their entire personality, are the antithesis to this fan site. There's no safety for them here. They can find that on Facebook/Twitter/Reddit.

13 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Yes... and again, look where you are.

Those who make "hating" the show and/or book their entire personality, are the antithesis to this fan site. There's no safety for them here. They can find that on Facebook/Twitter/Reddit.

I don't do Facebook/Twitter/Reddit.  DM is all I have for WoT.  I'm a sad, sad little man...

While I do tend to love the books and hate the show, I think I'm fair in appreciating the shows strong points while acknowledging the weak points of the books.

41 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I don't do Facebook/Twitter/Reddit.  DM is all I have for WoT.  I'm a sad, sad little man...

While I do tend to love the books and hate the show, I think I'm fair in appreciating the shows strong points while acknowledging the weak points of the books.

And I do appreciate reading your valid criticisms of the show.

I know it can be difficult to walk the fine line that is criticism. Passions run high and nuance gets lost in this tumultuous void that is the internet.

3 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

And I do appreciate reading your valid criticisms of the show.

I know it can be difficult to walk the fine line that is criticism. Passions run high and nuance gets lost in this tumultuous void that is the internet.

And I appreciate your valid praises.  The problem comes in when we try to define 'valid'.  😁

1 minute ago, DojoToad said:

Not sure I see what you mean here.  Maybe the politics aspect is screwing me up.  Why would Russians or whomever want to spam ratings for Last Jedi, WoT or whatever?  What is the payoff?  No one does the work without some benefit, right?

tldr: sowing seeds of divisiveness through pop culture, helps amplify divisiveness on a national level... Either way this has gone pretty far off topic. Given that this starts to delve into politics, these conversations are best had in PMs.

4 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

And I appreciate your valid praises.  The problem comes in when we try to define 'valid'.  😁

Well, Since DM is owned by Jason Denzel, and he made me an Admin, it's not a problem for me. I get to be the Arbitrator of what is valid and what is not. 😉 

Valid Criticism = Not complaining about woke casting, or any derivative of wokeness. Not using all caps. Not using terms like "rolling in the grave", or "spitting on my childhood". Those kinds of "criticims" are sensationalist. They aren't in it to have a conversation. They remind me of "listening to your uncle at thanksgiving whine about politics".

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Valid Criticism = Not complaining about woke casting, or any derivative of wokeness. Not using all caps. Not using terms like "rolling in the grave", or "spitting on my childhood". Those kinds of "criticims" are sensationalist. They aren't in it to have a conversation. They remind me of "listening to your uncle at thanksgiving whine about politics".

Excellent. I have not fallen into invalid territory yet. 

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

tldr: sowing seeds of divisiveness through pop culture, helps amplify divisiveness on a national level... Either way this has gone pretty far off topic. Given that this starts to delve into politics, these conversations are best had in PMs.

Well, Since DM is owned by Jason Denzel, and he made me an Admin, it's not a problem for me. I get to be the Arbitrator of what is valid and what is not. 😉 

The problem is that SD is always spitting on my childhood and Jordan would be rolling in his grave when he found out just how much SD refuses to admit that the pen is blue….. 

😛

4BE711F4-9620-41F5-95ED-3E197B75A41A.webp

5 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

The problem is that SD is always spitting on my childhood and Jordan would be rolling in his grave when he found out just how much SD refuses to admit that the pen is blue….. 

Okay Boomer. 😛 

1 hour ago, expat said:

You stick around and rationally discuss the issues raised in your post and by other posters. Too many others give a one post statement that the show is terrible because it isn't exactly like RJ wrote the books and then disappear. Valid

Perhaps people are "encouraged" to disappear? I mean it has been mentioned that its not safe for people to critique the show here, perhaps such people get scared off after threats of a sinister death.

13 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Perhaps people are "encouraged" to disappear? I mean it has been mentioned that its not safe for people to critique the show here, perhaps such people get scared off after threats of a sinister death.

People are really passionate here, and to give my honest opinion, DM sucked and was pretty toxic on both sides while the show was coming out. It’s gotten a lot chiller, but I think some people (including me) were scared off by the general aggressiveness, regardless of how you felt about the show. I don’t think there’s any good way to handle those situations as a mod. I don’t agree with some of the choices made, but I’ve also never been a mod on a scale as large as the whole of DM. Any “extra” rules here or a vibe mostly seem to me like trying to discourage both sides from making it a bloodbath like last year. Some bias is going to exist no matter what, but I don’t see anyone being overly extreme in their opinions/moderation. 

Besides, DM has always seemed to me like a small community. Everybody knows everybody, you know who fights with who, etc. We aren’t like Reddit where fighting is constant and the more controversial your opinion the better. More often than not, you’ve interacted with the person you’re arguing with before and I think that makes people moderate their words/think a bit more about how to respond in a respectful way. I do agree that DM is a bit more show favorable, but (from almost every instance I’ve seen unless people are already looking for a fight) as long as you state your opinion respectfully and it’s not bigoted, people are usually willing to discuss/debate respectfully as well. 

Drama is going to happen everywhere, but I feel like DM has relatively little of it compared to other places. The only exception I can think of was last year which was new for everyone (and Reddit didn’t exactly allow unbiased discussion so we had a lot more people I haven’t seen since they got done arguing). 

These are just my thoughts/what I’ve noticed, and I think it’s good for people to form their own opinions after gathering information, so if you have a different opinion, that’s fine. It’s no more or less valid than mine. 

(Btw, this is pretty off-topic, so we might consider asking for the thread to be moved so as to not derail the original thread) 

14 hours ago, Raal Gurniss said:

And perhaps people don't know how to interact is a respectful, adult manner; then they get called out by an admin.

I am probably the biggest (imho) antagonist of the show on this site, and not once was I threatened with any kind of discipline over what I have said.  I have received a few warnings over how I said it (rarely), and after I got done being mad about being called out realized that, yep I could have made my point without being a disrespectful troll.

Just my experience.

Edited by DojoToad
grammar

9 hours ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

People are really passionate here, and to give my honest opinion, DM sucked and was pretty toxic on both sides while the show was coming out. It’s gotten a lot chiller, but I think some people (including me) were scared off by the general aggressiveness, regardless of how you felt about the show. I don’t think there’s any good way to handle those situations as a mod. I don’t agree with some of the choices made, but I’ve also never been a mod on a scale as large as the whole of DM. Any “extra” rules here or a vibe mostly seem to me like trying to discourage both sides from making it a bloodbath like last year. Some bias is going to exist no matter what, but I don’t see anyone being overly extreme in their opinions/moderation. 

Besides, DM has always seemed to me like a small community. Everybody knows everybody, you know who fights with who, etc. We aren’t like Reddit where fighting is constant and the more controversial your opinion the better. More often than not, you’ve interacted with the person you’re arguing with before and I think that makes people moderate their words/think a bit more about how to respond in a respectful way. I do agree that DM is a bit more show favorable, but (from almost every instance I’ve seen unless people are already looking for a fight) as long as you state your opinion respectfully and it’s not bigoted, people are usually willing to discuss/debate respectfully as well. 

Drama is going to happen everywhere, but I feel like DM has relatively little of it compared to other places. The only exception I can think of was last year which was new for everyone (and Reddit didn’t exactly allow unbiased discussion so we had a lot more people I haven’t seen since they got done arguing). 

These are just my thoughts/what I’ve noticed, and I think it’s good for people to form their own opinions after gathering information, so if you have a different opinion, that’s fine. It’s no more or less valid than mine. 

(Btw, this is pretty off-topic, so we might consider asking for the thread to be moved so as to not derail the original thread) 

Yes, way off-topic, but I think these conversations are important to have.

To get back on topic:

I don't think fantasy in general is hard to adapt to TV.  I think long-ass books and book series are hard to adapt to TV.  Not saying it can't be done, but that it takes a special person with a special vision to pull it off.  I don't think Rafe is that person.  I'd rather have nothing than a crappy show, but I also can see how other people are happy with whatever is out there.

WoT might even be an extremely difficult movie adaptation - though I hope someone tries one day.

On 10/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, DojoToad said:

I am probably the biggest (imho) antagonist of the show on this site, and not once was I threatened with any kind of discipline over what I have said. 

Ooooh, shoot I totally forgot back then that I'm absolutely threatening you with having to do lines *nods* A little late but hey, respect my authori-tay