DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who made the better grade? WOT or ROP

templar7

Who did it better?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. #1 Casting. Simple... which overall cast is the best?

• The Wheel of Time
    • The Rings of Power
    • Even
  2. 2. #2 Which show delivered the better overall 1st season?

• The Wheel of Time
    • The Rings of Power
    • Even

On 1/18/2023 at 11:02 AM, wotfan4472 said:

Well, going from the trailers, Galadriel is wearing the star of Feanor, and is basically running around doing what Elrond should be doing.

The biggest grievance is the star. Galadriel in lore would not wear it, considering two of her cousins, Celegorm and Curufin both betrayed her brother to Sauron, and attempted to usurp Nagothrond, all because Beren came to get help to enter Angband for a Silmaril.

They only got kicked out, because Luthien and Huan's fight with Sauron was witnessed by captives of Finrod's people. It is basically the only time in fantasy where a maiden shows up badass mighty figures before the modern age with that fight.

The show is also saying that Galadriel has not founded Lothlorien yet. The lore says she founded it long before the time Numenor falls. In fact, it is as old as Imladris is.

At the least, she is at most a councillor for Gil Galad. If she is doing what the show says, she should be wearing Gil Galad's sigil, not Celebrimbor's.

Galadriel here should be like Elayne on the road to becoming like Morgase in the books. Busy securing and developing her realm, not running around like Moiraine.

Also where are her children (or is it child) she should have had a husband and family by now, not just a husband who has gone missing. She also never "loses" her husband, knows where he is the whole time. 

22 minutes ago, wotfan4472 said:

Based on from what I have seen, WOT has done more to respect the lore more than ROP.

I don't know how that can be.  I thought RoP was completely made up because there was no source material - Amazon couldn't use anything from The Hobbit, LotR, or the Silmarillion.  Or do you mean they deviated from the lore in those books?

• Community Administrator
2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I don't know how that can be.  I thought RoP was completely made up because there was no source material - Amazon couldn't use anything from The Hobbit, LotR, or the Silmarillion.  Or do you mean they deviated from the lore in those books?

The only source they could use was in the appendices in the back of the fellowship of the rings.

They had to pretend like they didn't know the events in the Silmarillion or other books happen. So yeah, a lot of stuff was made up that goes completely against the lore.

It would be like writing the Eye of the World, if you only had the rights to the even numbered books.

10 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

The only source they could use was in the appendices in the back of the fellowship of the rings.

They had to pretend like they didn't know the events in the Silmarillion or other books happen. So yeah, a lot of stuff was made up that goes completely against the lore.

It would be like writing the Eye of the World, if you only had the rights to the even numbered books.

Wow.  Even if they couldn't use canon material directly, you'd think they could use it to put guardrails around the story so that they could stay consistent with the lore.  Guess they had a better idea... 🤣

5 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Wow.  Even if they couldn't use canon material directly, you'd think they could use it to put guardrails around the story so that they could stay consistent with the lore.  Guess they had a better idea... 🤣

Copyright law and the Tolkien estate are a pain in the ass.

Imagine for instance, you had to write "New Spring" based only on what you know about those events from what Moiraine and Lan revealed through books 1-14, and the appendices. 

Liberties will be taken, and hard-core fans will be upset.

2 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Copyright law and the Tolkien estate are a pain in the ass.

Imagine for instance, you had to write "New Spring" based only on what you know about those events from what Moiraine and Lan revealed through books 1-14, and the appendices. 

Liberties will be taken, and hard-core fans will be upset.

Yes.  Given the restrictions, seems like Bezos made a really bad deal buying extremely limited rights.  Imagine if Amazon had pushed even a portion of that money to WoT.

4 hours ago, DojoToad said:

ROP does very much wreck the lore far more then WOT 

The timeline is seriously condensed. 
Saurons story is changed drastically (didn't go to Numenor and turn them directly ) this might still change but it doesn't look like it. 
Galadriel is very different 
Gandalf appearing from the sky as a meteor
Mithril just everything about Mithril is butcherd, and makes no sense, at the current rate the Dwarves will have about a year to mine it all, make a ton of swords, chainmail armour, and other mithril items, and then get destroyed by Durins Bane. 
The forging of the Rings is changed, as is the whole "the elves are dying" rubbish 

There was enough in the Appendices to make a good story and not need all these things added in. 

17 minutes ago, Sir_Charrid said:

Dwarves will have about a year to mine it all, make a ton of swords, chainmail armour, and other mithril items, and then get destroyed by Durins Bane.

Despite that, I want to see Durin stand off against the Balor, and say the dwarfish equivalent of "YOU SHANT PASS YOU RAGING DUNGWIT".