DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine

Zagorac

Do you think that Moiraine is going to become stronger in the Power if they save her? I was thinking that something like this might happen because Lanfear escaped and got weaker and Moiraine stayed. What do you think about this/

I think Lanfear's lack of strength is evidence that she was severed by her trip through the doorway. She was healed by a woman and so didn't regain her full strength.

I believe it likely that Moiraine was also severed. I'm not sure whether Nynaeve has clued into the fact that healing severing completely requires the opposite gender.

Moiraine is-or was-one of my favorite characters as well! I've noticed that sometimes an author will write a character that you learn to love, and then kill them just to keep you reading. Not that RJ would do that..but just something to keep in mind.

Loreia, the Lost One

Who was it who said this about writing a story...

"During the establishing of a story you are introduced to a set of characters. Some are good, some are bad, some may even be crazy. After your audience feels comfortable you shake things up. Your friends fail where they always have pulled through, someone you didn't like is gonna pull through for you, a loved one dies, An enemy becomes a friend, a friend becomes an enemy. you give a sense of conflict, people are generally attracted to that."

RJ 'killed' off Moiraine for the same reason that Tolkien 'killed' off Gandalf, or Rowling killed off Dumbledore.

The wise, powerful, older character who has guided and molded our young hero has to disapear somewhere along the way in order for our hero to grow. Even with Moiraine's oath, and seeming humility, it remained in the back of Rand's mind that he had her strength and expertise to lean on.

Of course once the hero has learned to deal purerly on his one merits, the older character can return, and a new dynemic can be set up.

Beckon wrote:

I'm not sure whether Nynaeve has clued into the fact that healing severing completely requires the opposite gender.

Care to explain how she healed Suain (sp><and><) ?

nyneave as a hermaphrodite XD

Umm... what? Its well establihed that Suine wasn't healed completely due to the woman-woman healing issue.

I'm not sure whether Nynaeve has clued into the fact that healing severing completely requires the opposite gender.

Care to explain how she healed Suain (sp><and><) ?

nyneave as a hermaphrodite XD

Siuan and Leane don't regain their full strength while Logain does. This is because Nynaeve is the same gender as they are and opposite from Logain. I think RJ has discussed this. I'll look up the quote later if you want. I believe he confirmed that a severed woman needs a male to heal her in order to regain her full strength.

Well thats a failure to notice the facts on your part, because it is the case.

Logain's return to full strength is first noted by the Aes Sedai shielding him. They state that his escape attempt displays his full strength. It was further added to by Rand's appraisal of his strength. Furthermore when Sashelle, Irgain and whoever the other one was, are healed by Flinn, they too are returned to full strength, which is commented on by both Samitsu and Sashelle herself. Suine and Leane, on the other hand, are not returned to full strength.

It seemed self-evident at the time that this was because of gender--cross gender healings are complete, whereas same gender healing are incomplete--but to be sure someone asked RJ in his blog (post KoD postings, if your interested), and he stated that indeed that was the case, and the man-man healings would be just as incomplete as woman-woman healings.

and while no one ever takes notice of logains strength one way or another, during rand's POV he does mention logain being close to him in power.

I'm not sure what this means. Logain was healed by a woman and thus restored to full strength, yet the mode in which you said it seems to imply that you were using it as evidence against Beckon's post.

Just to be helpful:

For Alys Kinch, the Healing of stilling must be done by the other gender to be fully effective. A woman Healing a woman or a man Healing a man results in less than full restoration. It all ties into that theme I keep harping on. Men and women have to work together to be their most effective. And while the weave used by Flinn for Healing is not exactly that used by Nynaeve, either would use the same weave on a man or a woman.

Said by RJ here: http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=26

^^ lmao, not get ur coffee or some such?

How many Aes Sedai are needed to shield is only a rough approximation of strength. Though i apologies for not memorizing the part of the book involving the 3 healed by Flinn.

My comment: "and while no one ever takes notice of logains strength one way or another, during rand's POV he does mention logain being close to him in power".

was ment to back-up beckon for clarification

Not get my coffee? *stares blankly at Vemynal*

Or was that at Robert? Still makes not sense.

In any case it wasn't the number of Aes Sedai involved in the shielding that was significant, it was their opinion of the strength he manifested when he tried to break the shield. And it was only the initial indication that he was not depleted. It was what led to people questioning wether something different had occured when he was healed to when Suine was.

Its a moot point. Cross-gender healings result in complete restoration, whilst same gender healings result in only partial resoration.

And i get the comment now. Sorry for the confusion.

Archived