DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Expanded Moraine & Lan in S2

Deviations

1 hour ago, WhiteVeils said:

I don't see anything hinting that we won't have any Tear at all in S3.  I think we can have some, especially if we go to Tear as the very last stroke of S2. [...]

Thanks for your response. Interesting ideas. We will see who is closer to the truth 🙂.

Regarding S3 and Tear though, I think we have at least two hints that Tear will not be in S3.

First there is the scope of S3. There are strong indications that the Battle for Cairhien will be the season finale of S3, both based on the size of that battle, making it a likely season finale battle, and also based on the leaked Gawyn casting video which talks about a "city preparing to be sacked", which sounds to me like it refers to Cairhien under siege by the Shaido. If that is true then there would have to be a lot of material covered in S3, probably too much to spend time in Tear first, especially if you expect to squeeze in the taking of the Stone (and Callandor?), which is where the doorframe is in the books.

The other hint is that in the show the Aiel have been moved all the way to Falme, and that Aviendha is included in the group. I think the reason why they did that is because we need scenes between Elayne, Aviendha and Rand to set up the future triangle between them, and that has to happen before Elayne splits off and goes to Tanchico. Without that Aviendha would behave differently towards Rand in the Aiel Waste. A similar argument can be made for Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne: Egwene will likely be taken to the Seanchan before she learns about Tel'aran'rhiod, so we will need TAR training/exposition in Falme before Nynaeve and Elayne split off. For that we need a Wise One in the Aiel group, and the S2 wrap video shows an older actress in a table read which might be Amys. None of that would be necessary if we were to get a Tear segment at the beginning of S3. In that case the writers could just follow the book story line, have all of those events happen in Tear, and then have Nynaeve and Elayne go to Tanchico afterwards.

I expect the part of the Tear story line that will actually occur in the show (the taking of the Stone and Callandor) to happen as the season finale in S5, which is around the time Rand actually needs the sword. They will probably move Sammael to Tear for that, and have Sammael be the Forsaken Rand fights in the Stone.

The Tear story is split into two halves:  What happens before the Stone is taken in The Dragon Reborn, and what happens after it is taken in Shadow Rising. The part in Shadow Rising is pretty considerable, but can be easily compressed.  And the stuff in Tear before the Stone is taken is easily rolled into another sequence, like Falme.

So: My theory on Tear.  Obviously, just random speculation but this is one way they can do it if they like.

Many story beats from before Tear is taken happen in Falme. Elayne is in Falme because she went with Egwene and Nynaeve.  Mat is in Falme (with Gawyn, possibly!) because he was following the girls to rescue them.  Perrin is in Falme pursuing the Horn, and, I am hoping, has met Faile in the path of that pursuit, and Rand, Moiraine, and Lan are in Falme to join Perrin, save Loial or Mat by getting the dagger, or some other purpose.

In Falme, I think Perrin will fight Lord Turok, giving him a high moment in his season-long story balancing violence against pacifism. Mat will blow the Horn of Valere. The girls will mostly rescue themselves (though Mat can help). And Rand will fight Ishamael again. There may be a seal in Falme, for all I know.

BUT at the very end of Season 2, Ishamael is on the very verge of being defeated by Rand and flees, going through a gateway to the Stone of Tear, to get Callendor to use against Rand, or to go to the biggest fortress in the world.  But Rand blocks and holds the gateway open and follows Ishamael into the Stone.   They scramble for Callendor and Rand reaches it first, using it to destroy Ishamael.  The stewards of the Stone of Tear see Rand pulling the sword from the stone and bow  as the others (including Aviendha and Elayne and everyone) come through the still-open gateway.   End of Season.

Season 3 can then start with Rand already in residence, ruling Tear after a month or more long gap.  There is only minor cleanup and talk about what has happened in the meantime that needs to be done before you launch straight into Shadow Rising.

I still think they didn't need to add the still/shield angle as a way to give them more time or expand on their relationship.  You saw in Book 2 RJ gave them some remembering stuff when Moiriane was searching for information.  They easily could have kept with that angle instead of the unecessary can't channel thing.

I accept Rand will probably once again get the short end of screen time.  

On 8/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, DojoToad said:

Will be interested to see how much more changes.  Probably going to be a lot further from the books - some folks will be okay with that, others won't.

Given Amazon limits on season length, even if they attempted to stay close to the books there absolutely would have been plenty left out - and that was without the new stuff added by RJ2.

I didn't like a lot of stuff RJ2 changed.  But now I'm beginning to think that even had he done it the way I wanted (more in line with the books), he wouldn't have been able to pull it off well.

Then again, LotR (movies) stayed fairly true but had major cuts/changes - and I loved it.  So I'm not a purist, I can live with change.  Guess I just have to like it - which is what it comes down to for all of us in the end...

S1 wasn't for me.  Still hoping S2 will be, but not holding my breath (well, maybe a little bit 😁)

That is the big issue, many fans liked the LOTR movies yet the Tolkien family hated them and made sure Amazon couldn't make a series connected to those.

Edited by Sabio

43 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Ingtar wont be recognizable if even present...

Ingtar will be present in season 2. Technically he was present in season 1 but they had to change the name of the character when the actor got a lead role in another series.  I believe this was due to the filming delays caused by covid. 

But he will be in season 2, how "recognizble" we wait to see.