DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

" Wear Sunscreen" [Open RP]

Guest Celes

Guest Celes

It was one of those days, the sun was shining brightly and the heat and bright light got people to act out a little. Unfortunately, it also got some people caught acting out and this did not always work out in said people’s favor. All Lyv had done was have a bit of fun with her friends, when her captain appeared next to her with a blubbering trainee girl who she had just hit over the head with a bucket, meant for Aran. She tried to apologize, but was instead dragged into the captain’s office for a nice conversation on how this had come to pass and what she was going to do about it to make up for it. Or one could say it was a shouting match, heard all the way out the door.

“This is the last time, Lyv, really the last time that we’re going over this,†he had to take a breathe not to grab her by some of her braids and give her a few good whacks. “You know what could have happened there? You half brained wool head, do you really think that we all live here to serve Miss Tylin on anything she wants to do?†he only got a disgruntled look in return. “I would like to hear your side of the story now, Lyv,†and waited for her to reply. She sat back in her chair, as if she owned the place and stared up at him as he leaned against his desk. Shaking his head, he turned around and pored himself a cup of water, then downed that to clear his throat. She was a true pain and with this recent train of events, she needed to cool down and learn what it was to be a tower guard on duty.

“Well sir, all I did was teach Aran how to use the water to glide through his training. If that stupid trainee had not butted in, she would not have gotten the bucket against her head and I would have been still practicing now, instead of listening to you.†Lyv rose from her chair and leaned in over the desk, “I’ve been the Mistress of Trainees, I know what it is like to hold a position of power and I know when someone pushes over the line, sir.â€

Ralleigh nodded, “Yes you have been Mistress of Trainees miss Tylin, you have also dumped that job as if it were a one night stand caught up with in Tar Valon,†he shook his head, “You know nothing of responsibility… and what’s this teaching Aran something with a bucket of water? If you two want to act out your little games by throwing water over each other and then pretend it’s serious training, get back to the trainees and let Ginae have a good look over the both of you,†he grunted and took a pipe from his desk drawer and slowly set about to stuffing it. “You can leave now, and return when you have a good explanation for me, maybe have a good talk with your friends about what it’s like to carry some responsibility,†she was already out the door and he mumbled to himself about putting Miss Tylin back in line with the trainees, maybe she’d learn something from it.

One moment they were having fun, next moment Lyv's captain was dragging her away for a talk. Aran had to admit, he was beginning to become increasingly put out with the man. Captain Paranov was pretty bad, but on the otherhand he was consistently terrible to everyone... Well, actually he singled Aran out quite a bit, but on the otherhand he didn't particularly care whether Aran was training or not as long as he was competent and did his duties.

That and Aran knew he'd earnt his black eye a few days earlier when he went a little too far and said Paranov couldn't keep up with him. Their game of skull had been educational, and quick. He'd definitely be watching his captain's right hook in the future.

Having drifted near Captain Taj's office, Aran discovered he needn't have bothered as the man let full rip. It bothered him a bit, Aran had a finely tuned sense of fairness, even though it sang a different melody to most people's. Or maybe it was just because he disliked authority figures in general, and being answerable to people. Not that he considered himself answerable, but Captain Paranov during one of his 'educational' talks with Aran had made it clear he was.

"Oi, wait up!" Aran had to jog to catch up with Lyv who had stormed out of the office with a clearly disgruntled look upon her brow. "Looks like you didn't do too well there, didn't sound it at least. Whats the plan?" Not that Aran was openly suggesting revenge, but on the otherhand he wouldn't be adverse to it either. All the officers he'd known, including Lyv when she had been one, seemed to need a bit of humbling once in awhile... Well, Lyv was mainly for fun rather than a need to humble, but nevertheless the offer was there.

Aran

Tower Guard

Guest Celes

Aran caught up with her and Lyv grinned at him, she was not one to hold a grudge of her anger for long. Especially not since it had been just a bit of a struggle. “I think he plans to have me join the trainee teams, might apply for the blue team and see what I can do yet,†she grinned and added, “Ginae would just love that.†They walked on together and Lyv realized that she was not quite done with her captain yet. Aran’s suggestion of pulling one over him had potential, but he did need to hear some of the facts and not just what he overheard from Ralleigh's office. After all, this was not Lyv’s first run in with her captain, only usually Jasen stepped in and took over. Wall duty had become the standard run for Lyv and double shifts really were not a new thing.

“Ah, I’d like to catch whoever let him near my files, just the other day he approached me to talk about my run ins with the City Guard, run ins…plural!†she called out and sat down near the trees, watching two trainees practice their skills on the obstacle course. “I mean, sure I had some problems, got arrested and falsely accused…†she looked pensive, “and then there was that run in with some of your old buddies in the city where me and Rosheen were involved in the brawl but I do think that he’s picking on me. As if he’s jealous that I got out from behind the desk and he’s stuck between the desk and his wall.†She was calming down now and found that she was overreacting slightly, but only slightly because Ralleigh was still picking on her.

Suddenly she got an idea, “You heard what he said about that one night stand in Tar Valon, I bet he’s never even been with a real woman, bet he’s never even got to fondle a tavern wench with that scowl of his,†she chuckled and thought about the type of woman that would deal with the likes of him. She sighed now, “I guess I’ll not be done with him for a while longer, but it was good fun up until that girl came and ran into my bucket, kids….†She looked over at Aran, “You’re lucky, you know that, I’m sure that Ginae will have my hide for what happened to that whimpering girl next, she and Ralleigh ganging up on me, what fun,†and tried to convince Aran how sad she was by sulking exaggeratingly. “Still, it was a good fight and I demand a re-match, you still have not been trained under water,†Lyv said with a wink.

Lyv Tylin

OOC: I hope you don't mine me walking in :)

Ran was training with a fellow Trainee. They were equally in strenght so Ran the spar was quite exhausting. The practise swords hit eachother time after time. Non of them got hit by the other yet, but Ran knew he was going to loose if he wouldn't strike first. It went quick and before Ran even realised what happened, his sword fell on the ground and his fingers hurt a little.

"Congratulations." Ran panted to his opponent. "I was just paying too less attention." Ran looked at him, and was happy to see he was exhausted as well. When he looked around the yards he saw his Mentor talking to someone. It didn't look like an official Tower Guard to Tower Guard conversation, and if it would look like one Ran wouldn't care, so he gathered his practise sword, his shirt and walked to them.

When arrived at the place the two were talking Ran nodded to Lyv. "Hello Mentor." He turned to the man who was with her. Aran, someone Ran knew because he had gotten some lessons from him. "Hello to you too Sir." Ran said with a nod. The nod was smaller than the one for Lyv, but he had to make differences. "I hope I'm not coming on a wrong time. If so, do send me away." Ran smiled on a way only he could do.

Ran Arosho

Tower Trainee

Guest Celes

What was it with trainees and their ability to make themselves invisible. Lyv had been talking with Aran and not really looking up or around her, thus getting quite a scare when her mentee, Raniel suddenly appeared next to her. It could have been Captain Taj who had heard her entire ramblings, Lyv allowed a brief sigh of relief to escape from her lips and then frowned. “Did I not ask you to train yourself for the next test that we have coming up? Hmmm, maybe some water training will do you some good as well?†she pondered out loud.

Without much further ado, Lyv decided that being out of the Yards for a bit was better than waiting for Ginae to call her into her office after hearing from Ralleigh what happened. She knew that she would have to face up to an explanation for acting like a blind fool when it came to trainees bopping around her and running into flinging buckets of water, but that could wait. “Come on then,†she said and nudged both men to join her for a walk. The pond would be a great exercise and she could maybe find a way to teach Aran the ways of the water this time, as long as she could keep her trainee out of harms way. The idea of a little revenge still lingered in the back of Lyv’s mind and if they could come up with a plan, the planning could better be discussed out of his ear sight.

Lyv Tylin

OOC: Follow me to the pond, I usually say it's close to the Yards, there are some trees there and sometimes people are taught to swim. PoW'ers use it for their training practise sometimes.

The appearance of one of Lyv's trainees took Aran a little by surprise, mainly because he rarely saw them at all. Usually she had them busy enough that they didn't have time to fraternise. Stark contrast to Aran who was too busy fraternising, but those were the sorts of differences that made people wonderful and unique. Still, it seemed to take Lyv's mind off the upbraiding a bit which meant having Ran along couldn't be all that bad.

It wasn't all that long before they reached the pond. A few trees's were clustered about, but one large oak in particular stood out. Aran himself was keen to get out of his clothes and it wasn't long before he had all save his small clothes at the roots of the oak. Wading into the water ahead of his fellows due to his particularly quick ability to disrobe, the water was just the right temperature to help with the day's heat.

Going in about as far as calves, he judged it about as deep as he wanted to go. He could swim, barely, and he didn't like to be in water deeper than his neck unless he had to. Ducking himself under quickly, he surfaced and looked over to the other two who were just entering the pond.

"So what is this thing you have to teach Mistress Lyv, eh?"

Aran

Tower Guard

Guest Celes

The reached the pond and Lyv was very glad they did as the sun rose to its peak and the warmth that was filling the day now shone right above them with a fierce determination to burn their skin. She did not even notice how quick Aran was in the water until she heard him splashing and then wondered how often he had to dress and undress in seconds time, she chuckled and donned the breeches over a branch, placed her boots near it and without a hint of shame strolled over to the water in smallclothes and a sleeveless light blue shirt. She did not bring the canvas shorts and strip, and going bare might shock the men into falling over and she did not want that to happen, a wink over at her trainee told him to follow along.

“We can first enjoy the water a little master Aran, it’s a too good a day to leave it behind us with nothing but training and sparring, a little splashing is part of today’s training too,†and grinned then splashed a large swish of water over him, before ducking under and cooling the warmth and sweat from the sun off. Surfacing she found that it did not take long for the water to make them both enthusiastic and forget about training. As Lyv had no idea how much swim training either of them had, she decided not to take any risks and rose to stay on her feet, making sure she did not travel too deep into the water.

“First, we need to take the weapons we did not bring,†Lyv said thoughtfully as she realized that they had only their basic gear on them. She did not like to take them in this training with a dagger, for they might actually hurt one of the others. “Ran, be a good student and find us three firm branches to spar a little with, or two if you can find only two,†she pointed over to her breeches, “There is a dagger in the back of those, you can take that, now don’t be long,†she said and hoped he would find some branches quickly. Well, it should not prove to be too hard as there were trees around the pond everywhere and even the oak tree had some fine examples.

Lyv Tylin

OOC: I hope you don't mind me joining in, it did say it was open.

After training with his mentor for a few hours earlier Shawn was given the rest of the day off. Usually he would spend a day off training but he decided to give himself a true break and go to the pond. He started off swimming laps across the pond, not what most people would call relaxing but Shawn did his bst thinking when he could let his body go through motions that were ingrained into its muscles.

This time though he wasn't thinking at all, he was just letting his mind wander. He reflected back on the time he'd been here in the Yards, the people he'd met and the things he'd learned.

After awhile he saw a trio of people come down to the water at the other side of the pond. First Aran, the Tower Guard renowned for his pranks, entered the water. He was followed by Lyv, a woman Shawn first met when she was Mistress of Trainees and respected still. He was surprised to see her strip off most of clothes before entering the water. When he came here for his swim he certinly hadn't expected to see her like that. Ran, another trainee he'd seen around the yards, followed Lyv into the water and they all started splashin around.

Shawn started swimming over to join them. As he swam up to them he heard Lyv sending Ran away. "You three look like you're having fun. Mind if I join in?"

Ran joined Aran and Lyv to the pond, as he was invited to come along. He wondered what they were going to do, but he was sure it would become fun. He knew his trainee. And well Aran he has met before as well. The pond was outside the yards, but not too far away. He'd been there before with Christine once. A memory that was pretty fresh still. Ran smiled while he thought back of that moment back at the pond. He disliked water when he was young as he'd falling in the canals once. But that moment with Christine he just loved the water.

Arriving at the pond Ran saw someone in the water already. He knew people can here for swimming lessons, cooling down, or just for fun. The sun was shining bright and because Ran had been at the Yards for quite some time now, he still liked this sun very much, while others thought it was too hot. But though Ran liked the sun he wouldn't mind going in to the somewhat chill water. Ran took of his boots and some of his clothes and followed the Tower Guards who were already splashing each other in the water. Ran dived under water, he knew he could swim pretty well now though he knew he wasn't by far the best in the yards.

After a while of swimming and splashing like children Lyv asked to get some firm branched from the trees so that they could do some training. Ran took a dagger and went for looking the branches. As tehre were plenty of trees it didn't took him long to find some good branches. He had actually found more than three and just took them all along with him so that they could chooose.

When Ran returned he saw a fellow trainee had joined the fun of splashing. Shawn was a cool guy. "I found even more than three branches Lyv. So I took them all with me, not a bad move was it?" Ran laughed and laid down the branches and waited for further instructions.

Ran Arosho

Tower Trainee

Aran waved over to Ran. "Here, throw us one of them." Snatching it from the air as a rather hefty stick came his way, Aran twirled about towards Lyv. "Squirrels!" And at that he lunged at her, making her jump back.

"What? Squirrels is a perfectly good warcry." There wasn't much agreement on that matter, though there did turn out to be an agreement that everyone else need arm themselves and it was only a moment before everyone else had a stick in hand. He was up to his waist in water now, which meant calf high for everyone else. He wasn't keen on going out too much further, otherwise he'd be at the mercy of whoever wished to give him a dunking.

Balancing his stick on his finger, he moved as little as possible to keep it upright as he spoke. "So, what are we doing with these sticks mmm? I'm the mightiest stickwhacker ever to walk on water I'll have you know."

Aran

Tower Guard

Guest Celes

As Ran threw Lyv one of the sticks, she studied it and felt out the weight when Aran was ahead of her and did a simple attack that made her jump back. She was experienced in the water and despite the element of surprise she held her ground and smirked at him. The two trainees got into the water and she told them they could practice their basic forms in the water. She knew they would find it more difficult than they could imagine, people often underestimated how hard it was to fight with the water pulling on you.

Swinging the stick around a few times, Lyv let it fall flat on the water and splashed the water up at Aran. “Come on then,†she said and started to move around him, sending the stick over at him a few times before finally landing a blow on his stick that made him dance back. “I need a war cry!†Lyv called out and grinned, then looked back at the trainees to see that they did not slack off. This was fun, but they had better learn something from the experience or she would not be dunking Aran under water first. Smiling she turned back just in time to fend off a well placed blow from her opponent and stuck the stick to right under his ribs. She did not push forward but pulled the stick back quickly.

“How about we do a real spar instead of this practice poking,†she said with a grin and found the guard stance easy enough. She stick was not prepared for a spar and it was not very well balanced with a small bit sticking out halfway, but her opponent was not trained in the water so she still took the lead over him.

• 2 weeks later...

Dueling in water was not Aran's forte as he was quickly finding. He wasn't used to the water dragging his footwork, so it left him too open whenever he tried to attack. So, more often than not, he was defending as he was driven back. Water rippling from the movement of the two as he went deeper and deeper, Aran managed to slowly but surely turn as he moved backward so he was parallel with the decline. Not that it helped much, the water reached his abdomen now and if he went any deeper he'd not be moving much at all.

While water wasn't Aran's element, that wasn't to say that he wasn't inventive. The first rule of any unwinnable situation was to change the rules, to cheat. Since he couldn't win with a stick, he would have to do something different, something that would catch her off guard. Somewhere between diverting a high slash and parrying a pair of thrusts at his chest, barely as the stick dragged in the water, it came to him.

Tossing the stick up just slightly above Lyv's head, she was already committed to knocking it aside as he dived forward. While the water slowed him, her surprise slowed her more and he managed to his arms around her. Lifting slightly, he jumped up then went sideways, taking her with him under the water.

The plan worked well, up until this point. He hadn't expected her to tickle him, then snag one of his legs as she quickly found her feet. Surfacing as he tried to free his leg, his attempts to turn about so his back wasn't to her were in vain, and being unable to reach the bottom of the pond as she pushed him into deeper water, he was finding that his position had worsened. Alot.

Aran

Tower Guard