DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 3 Announcement

Terry05

So I noticed that a thread hasn't been created for the specific announcement of Season 3.

What are people's thoughts and/or hopes? Characters people are looking forward to seeing? Locations?

I personally hope that if Amazon can't greenlight 10 episodes/season, hopefully the runtime goes up by 20mins/episode.

Really looking forward to the Rhuidean scene given that RJ2 has stated that season 3 is going to be TSR.

I think it's a show of faith that things are progressing in a way that Amazon likes, even if some of the backlash to S1 from some was so fierce. Really it's given the showrunners and writers all the time they need to prove that they can tell the full story - if they don't do enough over S2 & S3 to have a popular show and people on board for the entire ride, then they don't deserve to go any further. 

I think we will spend a long time in the Waste in S3 so I think one thing they absolutely have to correct for S2 is Perrin. From a TV perspective, if only one strand of the story is interesting, it's hard to hold your attention when you go away from it. So if the story outside of the Waste isn't done well, the whole show will probably suffer - and really that means having Perrin's story nailed. I'm glad Elyas is in S2, Perrin's character absolutely needs him. 

Rafe said they're trying to cover as much ground as possible in S2 so that S3 can be a closer adaptation of TSR. So I'm thinking definitely Rhuidean and Battle of Two Rivers. Less sure about Nyn/Elayne's plots because the things they do in books 2-4 are pretty repetitive so might be merged/done differently in season 2.

Even though there are only 8 episodes in S2, I'm glad they will be longer. Hopefully S3 can get up to 10 episodes...I think that'd be about perfect for the amount of story this has to tell.  I wish we had 10 episodes for S2, but c'est la vie. I don't think we needed 10 for S1 -- they trimmed it down well, though 9 would have been nice.

8 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

Even though there are only 8 episodes in S2, I'm glad they will be longer. Hopefully S3 can get up to 10 episodes...I think that'd be about perfect for the amount of story this has to tell.  I wish we had 10 episodes for S2, but c'est la vie. I don't think we needed 10 for S1 -- they trimmed it down well, though 9 would have been nice.

Ha!  I was good after 3 episodes of S1.

Be interested to see if S2 can turn it around.

Are the number of episodes in S3 based in any way off the success (or lack thereof) of S2?  Or will S3 be filming before S2 premiers?  If it is already filming when S2 airs - can they adjust on the fly for more episodes if S2 takes off?  They didn't do so good with the Barney and COVID wrenches thrown at them for S1.

No they won't adjust on the fly. They will have their story planned out in either 8 chunks or 10 depending on what they were greenlit for. You can't change the episode structure partway through filming a season, that would be a storytelling disaster and completely impossible for contracts and production schedules.

Edited by Nik

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Ha!  I was good after 3 episodes of S1.

Be interested to see if S2 can turn it around.

Are the number of episodes in S3 based in any way off the success (or lack thereof) of S2?  Or will S3 be filming before S2 premiers?  If it is already filming when S2 airs - can they adjust on the fly for more episodes if S2 takes off?  They didn't do so good with the Barney and COVID wrenches thrown at them for S1.

Good question!

I had assumed 3 would be filming before 2 airs (which I think will be Jan-March 23). You would think they would need to know how many episodes they are filming during the writing process? 

19 minutes ago, Terry05 said:

Good question!

I had assumed 3 would be filming before 2 airs (which I think will be Jan-March 23). You would think they would need to know how many episodes they are filming during the writing process? 

You would think.  It all starts with the writing.

Makes me wonder if they have a number already.  Long wait to early 2023 to see how S2 does.  Can't imagine they'd wait that long for filming, but who knows.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

we know rafe has an outline plot for 8 seasons of 8 episodes.

changing the number of episodes would be problematic, but making the episodes longer is possible and easy.

an early S3 renewal means S1 was successful enough to give them confidence.

They were confident before now.  S2 was greenlit before S1 aired.

7 hours ago, Terry05 said:

Good question!

They are writing S3 now, so could write them longer if they have already received word that they could.  If they have heard already that they might get more for S4, they can be making changes now.

I think it's possible they were greenlit for more than 8 episodes. They had a general outline but hadn't started writing yet when season 3 was greenlit (and I bet they knew it before they told us). So it's entirely possibly they'll write more than 8. But yes, they need to know before they start writing. So if they were only greenlit for 8, we're getting 8. It can't change partway through.

5 hours ago, Nik said:

I think it's possible they were greenlit for more than 8 episodes. They had a general outline but hadn't started writing yet when season 3 was greenlit (and I bet they knew it before they told us). So it's entirely possibly they'll write more than 8. But yes, they need to know before they start writing. So if they were only greenlit for 8, we're getting 8. It can't change partway through.

Here's hoping, 10 episodes would be a sweet spot.

• 3 weeks later...

As I said previously. More WoT is good. 

Quite happy we get at least 3. Hopefully we go to all 8 and then someone gets the bright idea to do movies that more accurately follow the books. 

And then a video game. Or the game first, Im not picky haha. 

9 hours ago, CaddySedai said:

As I said previously. More WoT is good. 

Quite happy we get at least 3. Hopefully we go to all 8 and then someone gets the bright idea to do movies that more accurately follow the books. 

And then a video game. Or the game first, Im not picky haha. 

If we get all 8 seasons the show would be a huge success.  Why would they need movies that more accurately follow the books when the show was a hit by departing from them?

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

If we get all 8 seasons the show would be a huge success.  Why would they need movies that more accurately follow the books when the show was a hit by departing from them?

Why did Amazon need to buy the rights to make a LOTR prequel when by all accounts the PJ movies were a masterpiece, followed by an ok-erpiece lol. 

Why would Square Enix remake FF7, an entirely beloved game and change the story quite a bit? And have it also be super well received?

Why are there 23 bajillion attempts at DUNE. 

I can see it working. Really I just want as much WoT as I can get. 

15 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Because they only just now got it right - IMO.

15 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

I see your point.  Success breeds success.  Look at all the iterations of Batman and Spiderman.  They did good, we can do it better...

44 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Why did Amazon need to buy the rights to make a LOTR prequel when by all accounts the PJ movies were a masterpiece, followed by an ok-erpiece lol. 

Why would Square Enix remake FF7, an entirely beloved game and change the story quite a bit? And have it also be super well received?

26 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Because they only just now got it right - IMO.

I see your point.  Success breeds success.  Look at all the iterations of Batman and Spiderman.  They did good, we can do it better...

I'd rather see some author write a new fantasy epic that challenges the success of Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time than just see reboot after reboot because studios think it's an easy cash grab. But that's unlikely to happen :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, VooDooNut said:

I'd rather see some author write a new fantasy epic that challenges the success of Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time than just see reboot after reboot because studios think it's an easy cash grab. But that's unlikely to happen :rolleyes:

Yes!

@VooDooNut Or possibly just allow WoT to expand - not unlike the "Legends" universe in Star Wars (encompassing all the non movie / non Disney approved novels etc)

I would love to see an author tackle the AoL. Or even an actual different turning. Or maybe even the period immediately following the breaking. Maybe another Age. Maybe a PSW. 

There is a mountain of unexplored space in WoT that Jordan sadly never got to explore.

19 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

@VooDooNut Or possibly just allow WoT to expand - not unlike the "Legends" universe in Star Wars (encompassing all the non movie / non Disney approved novels etc)

I would love to see an author tackle the AoL. Or even an actual different turning. Or maybe even the period immediately following the breaking. Maybe another Age. Maybe a PSW. 

There is a mountain of unexplored space in WoT that Jordan sadly never got to explore.

I know many people have enjoyed universe expansions like the Star Wars stories, so I won't knock that point. And I agree that many would find it interesting to see the more mysterious parts of WOT, like The Age of Legends, fleshed out in book or film. But, to your last point, one of the things I enjoy about Robert Jordan's telling of The Wheel Of Time is the lack of a complete historical picture. If everything is completely spelled out for the reader, I feel there is less room for one to imagine how periods like the AOL could have been.