DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S2 Cold Opens

Harldin

Used to be called prologues, don't know when that changed but ah well.

My list of possible Cold Opens for S2, *E1 but no particular order for the rest.

"Spoilers"  of course

*Dark Friend social E1

Aiel(including Aviendha) being sent out from Cold Rocks Hold by Wise Ones(Amys?) E3-5? 

Tigraine Mantear getting told she has to go to the waste E2-4

Pedron Niall sending Whitecloaks to the Almoth Plain E2-4

A meeting of Seanchan Hierachy in Falme E6-7

Guest Cranglevoid

*A woman is standing in a room made of painted styrofoam. She is brave and stunning. A man enters in an arrogant manner. He snaps a rude comment at the woman, who responds with a witty reply that puts him in his place, but he is too arrogant to see it.

The man voices a foolish idea, but the woman points out that it is foolish. Suddenly the woman hurls a knife at the man, hitting something behind him. He would have heard the trolloc himself, had his mind not been clouded by foolish arrogance.

With a smile, the woman cracks a joke about the situation at his expense, and as he storms out in foolish anger, he trips on his cloaks and farts as he hits the floor. End scene.

7 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

I'm expecting one AoL per season. Perhaps too soon for the EotW prologue scene but maybe the sealing of the Bore

Rick Salvage and Larry Mondragon will be pushing to keep things like the drilling and sealing of the Bore out of the show if they still have plans for AOL Movies, could be a show of how strong or weak their influence is. 

2 hours ago, Harldin said:

Rick Salvage and Larry Mondragon will be pushing to keep things like the drilling and sealing of the Bore out of the show if they still have plans for AOL Movies, could be a show of how strong or weak their influence is. 

Hadn't thought of that. I hope they don't get to interfere too much.

I expect very different things.

I'm going to guess:

Forsaken waking in the bore when the seal is cracked cold open

Bayle Domon cold open

Padan Fain/Mat cold open

High Lord Turok/Lady Suroth cold open

White Cloaks Cold open (Pedron Niall and Geofram Bornhold politics something something)

Dark Friend Social cold open (since that was already said)

Elayne/Morgaise/Galad/Gawyn/Elaida and maybe Thom cold open

One age of legends cold open, focusing on the forsaken. (NOT Illeyana yet)

I can see combining some, of course.

51 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

I'm going to guess:

I LOVE this one.

With the caveat that if they appear in disguise later we have to be unable to identify them right away.

Edited by Nik

47 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

I'm going to guess:

Bayle Domon cold open

Padan Fain/Mat cold open

High Lord Turok/Lady Suroth cold open

White Cloaks Cold open (Pedron Niall and Geofram Bornhold politics something something)

Dark Friend Social cold open (since that was already said)

Elayne/Morgaise/Galad/Gawyn/Elaida and maybe Thom cold open

One age of legends cold open, focusing on the forsaken. (NOT Illeyana yet)

I can see combining some, of course.

I could see Domon involved in the Seanchan Hierachy cold open but I can't see 2 cold opens in Falme, Could see a Mat cold open maybe with Fain. Doubt we would get 2 cold opens involving the Andor Royals and I think the Tigraine cold open is highly likely, ties in with the Aiel. 

9 minutes ago, Nik said:

I LOVE this one.

With the caveat that if they appear in disguise later we have to be unable to identify them right away.

I can see this as the S2 Epilogue

This is a scenario I really like, a Beautiful woman is walking through the blasted lands towards a building and then you see Shadowspawn cringe away from her in fear as she walks up to the building, opens the door and there are several people inside and one of the men looks up and he says "ah Lanfear, nice of you to join us" and then you see her face for the first time and its Selene. 

The way they may go with the Antagonist is, S1 was Shadowspawn heavy, S2 may be more about Darkfriends including Fain as well as the Seanchan of course. Then S3 will be more about the Forsaken, not to say we won't see Forsaken and Shadowspawn in S2 but it will be more centred on DFs

On 8/2/2022 at 7:03 PM, Dagon Thyne said:

First one will like be Fain stealing the dagger and something to do with mat.  Maybe mat wasn't fully healed, and the dagger called to him, which is why he stayed behind.

I have actually come up with a possible storyline for E1 for Mat, Fain and the Dagger

After the opening credits, the opening scene is Donal Fin as Mat standing near the Waygate as it closes. Mat then heads back to Tar Valon, where he runs into Fain, still having no idea about Fain, Mat tells Fain over a few drinks about there adventures including the Dagger and where Mat got it. This immediately gets Fain's interest and they hatch a plan to get the dagger back. While attempting to escape from Warders, Fain turns on Mat and slashers him with the dagger, he is found barely alive by the Warders and taken to the Tower for healing, thus bringing Mats story back where it should be.

I also have a theory about the Dagger.

It is not as deadly as in the books when Fain first gets hold of it, thus Mat and Loail surviving but it gets more and more deadly the longer its in Fains possession, so by the end of S2 we start seeing people die from the merest scratch. 

46 minutes ago, Harldin said:

I have actually come up with a possible storyline for E1 for Mat, Fain and the Dagger

After the opening credits, the opening scene is Donal Fin as Mat standing near the Waygate as it closes. Mat then heads back to Tar Valon, where he runs into Fain, still having no idea about Fain, Mat tells Fain over a few drinks about there adventures including the Dagger and where Mat got it. This immediately gets Fain's interest and they hatch a plan to get the dagger back. While attempting to escape from Warders, Fain turns on Mat and slashers him with the dagger, he is found barely alive by the Warders and taken to the Tower for healing, thus bringing Mats story back where it should be.

I also have a theory about the Dagger.

It is not as deadly as in the books when Fain first gets hold of it, thus Mat and Loail surviving but it gets more and more deadly the longer its in Fains possession, so by the end of S2 we start seeing people die from the merest scratch. 

The problem there is that Fain had the dagger with him already when he followed Moiraine's party into the Ways.  Which means it was already in his possession when Mat turned back.

He didn't need Mat to tell him about it. 

And if Mat had felt it calling to him, he would have followed Fain into the Ways the same way Fain followed (apparently) Rand.

My dagger theory is that Loial will survive but be in the same state Mat was in during tGH, where he's deteriorating and being slowly infected by the Shadar Logoth evil, and they need to get the dagger back to heal him fully.

I wonder if we'll find out Fain was the man Liandrin was meeting with in secret, and she gave him the waygate key and/or the dagger.

6 hours ago, Nik said:

My dagger theory is that Loial will survive but be in the same state Mat was in during tGH, where he's deteriorating and being slowly infected by the Shadar Logoth evil, and they need to get the dagger back to heal him fully.

I wonder if we'll find out Fain was the man Liandrin was meeting with in secret, and she gave him the waygate key and/or the dagger.

Yes I could definitely see something between Liandrin and Fain, not so sure about Loail though. I am somewhat surprised that Loail is missing from the scenes of Perrin and the Shienarens we saw, thought it would be a given he would go with Perrin, maybe he was just off camera and they are behind the scenes stuff and not actually episode film. 

4 hours ago, Harldin said:

Yes I could definitely see something between Liandrin and Fain, not so sure about Loail though. I am somewhat surprised that Loail is missing from the scenes of Perrin and the Shienarens we saw, thought it would be a given he would go with Perrin, maybe he was just off camera and they are behind the scenes stuff and not actually episode film. 

Loial is in the background in a couple of shots in the BTS teaser. Perrin is with him in at least one of them

2 hours ago, Nik said:

Maybe they take Loial to a stedding to keep him alive while they look for the dagger? Would be sad if he was missing from most of the season though.

Rafe said something about Loial and a stedding in the recent AMA when asked how Loial survived the knife.

Someone here or elsewhere wondered if the dagger gets gradually more powerful as Fain and Mordeth merge and he gets other powers also. That could work

Edited by DaddyFinn

On 8/5/2022 at 12:08 AM, Andra said:

The problem there is that Fain had the dagger with him already when he followed Moiraine's party into the Ways.  Which means it was already in his possession when Mat turned back.

He didn't need Mat to tell him about it. 

And if Mat had felt it calling to him, he would have followed Fain into the Ways the same way Fain followed (apparently) Rand.

It is important to remember Fain is a prick. 🙂  My current hypothesis is that Fain meets Mat outside the Waygate, as Mat is turning around to head back to Tar Valon and the Two Rivers (and his sisters).  Fain wants Mat alive, because he thinks he'll turn to the Dark, but wants Mat contaminated with the dagger to help him along.  He stabs or nicks or otherwise uses the dagger on Mat in a non-lethal fashion, then enters the Ways after the others. Mat is hurt now and recorrupted, and doesn't have a means to follow Fain even if he wanted to.  He survives and staggers back to Tar Valon, and that's why he looks so corrupt and awful in that shot of him.

At least that's what I hope happens.

1 hour ago, WhiteVeils said:

It is important to remember Fain is a prick. 🙂  My current hypothesis is that Fain meets Mat outside the Waygate, as Mat is turning around to head back to Tar Valon and the Two Rivers (and his sisters).  Fain wants Mat alive, because he thinks he'll turn to the Dark, but wants Mat contaminated with the dagger to help him along.  He stabs or nicks or otherwise uses the dagger on Mat in a non-lethal fashion, then enters the Ways after the others. Mat is hurt now and recorrupted, and doesn't have a means to follow Fain even if he wanted to.  He survives and staggers back to Tar Valon, and that's why he looks so corrupt and awful in that shot of him.

At least that's what I hope happens.

Yes that does sound very plausible, haven't seen the shot you are referring to. Also we don't know how Rafe is planning to do the change of actor, will it be, just carry on as if nothings happened or could they fold Mats change of appearance into the storyline, make him look totally unrecognisable using the dagger then heal him, Donal looks enough like Barney to pull it off.