DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

WoTCon???

DojoToad

• Community Administrator

I don't think DM ever officially posting anything about it. (I don't think DM was part of any of it's organizing?), but it's been known about in the broader community. Mainly Twitter/Facebook/Other Discords. 

image.thumb.png.c94b702647f38375e9e2462dff19f01c.png

And none of this huge team thought to reach out to DM to get even more people onboard?  No mention that I saw of Robert, Harriet, Rafe.  Odd considering they are the biggest names associated with the books/show.  But then again, I don't know much about 'fandom'.  Strange logo as well:

image.png.51437f87a660aeb8008aadfca8d7f56c.png

4 hours ago, DojoToad said:

image.thumb.png.c94b702647f38375e9e2462dff19f01c.png

And none of this huge team thought to reach out to DM to get even more people onboard?  No mention that I saw of Robert, Harriet, Rafe.  Odd considering they are the biggest names associated with the books/show.  But then again, I don't know much about 'fandom'.  Strange logo as well:

image.png.51437f87a660aeb8008aadfca8d7f56c.png

Their staff includes, NaeBlis of thegreatblight.com, Rebecca from reading the pattern, Daraus, and Andrew.
Pretty much Youtubers and Twitter people.

At least one of them has reason to not promote DM, and the other three aren't officially affiliated with DM, though I'm sure a lot of them are in Jason's radar for certain information they have privilege to.
TLDR: Jason missed an opportunity to promote this on DM, but don't blame him, he's busy!
The other contributors on the news team definitely dropped the ball.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Their staff includes, NaeBlis of thegreatblight.com, Rebecca from reading the pattern, Daraus, and Andrew.
Pretty much Youtubers and Twitter people.

At least one of them has reason to not promote DM, and the other three aren't officially affiliated with DM, though I'm sure a lot of them are in Jason's radar for certain information they have privilege to.
TLDR: Jason missed an opportunity to promote this on DM, but don't blame him, he's busy!

Sorry - guess I'm coming across as whiny.  I'm more mad at myself for not finding this on time.  Got to up my game.  And hopefully next year's is just as close to Cleveland...

Edited by DojoToad

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Sorry - guess I'm coming across as whiny.  I'm more mad at myself for not finding this on time.  Got to up my game.  And hopefully next year's is just as close to Cleveland...

Chances are, a convention isn't going to change venue unless the place sucked, or they raise prices too high next year.

The con was advertised pretty heavy on social media. But it was also a much smaller con comparatively to other ones like Jordan Con and Dragon Con. It was created and run by a group of social media content creators. Michael Kramer, Kate Reading, and Maria Simmons were there. I believe you can still buy a virtual membership and access the panel recordings if you're interested.

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 9:27 AM, SinisterDeath said:

So one doesn't like DM for whatever reason, others aren't affiliated with DM - so what happened to shameless self-promoting.  Pop in, start a thread, and spread the word.  They would have gotten my money.

I don't think anyone would have considered it spam - in fact most (all?) of us would have been excited to know about it - even if we couldn't travel.  Sorry to zombie the thread, just smh...

15 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

So one doesn't like DM for whatever reason, others aren't affiliated with DM

I didn't say they "didn't like DM". They run a competing fansite. They have a vested interest in not contributing to the growth of the other.

19 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

so what happened to shameless self-promoting. They would have gotten my money.

That's where I mentioned the others dropped the ball.

20 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I don't think anyone would have considered it spam - in fact most (all?) of us would have been excited to know about it - even if we couldn't travel.  Sorry to zombie the thread, just smh...

Think of it like Twitter/Facebook. They get a shit load of hits on those sites.

They get 5 views/posts here. Forums are a dyin' medium.

6 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I didn't say they "didn't like DM". They run a competing fansite. They have a vested interest in not contributing to the growth of the other.

That's where I mentioned the others dropped the ball.

Think of it like Twitter/Facebook. They get a shit load of hits on those sites.

They get 5 views/posts here. Forums are a dyin' medium.

I get what you're saying about forums vs. other media.  But how does advertising their convention on DM contribute to DM's growth?  I think it would contribute to the conventions growth...

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I get what you're saying about forums vs. other media.  But how does advertising their convention on DM contribute to DM's growth?  I think it would contribute to the conventions growth...

End of the day what I'm talking about is web traffic. You want to drive traffic to your site, not to your competitors, even if that means not posting something that would drive traffic from one fansite to the other. Same goes from competing "conventions". 

The Organizers of WoT Con are not the same organizers of Jordan Con.

Jennifer Liang (DMs' first Admin), runs Jordan Con.
Jason Denzel owns Dragonmount but does not Organize Jordan Con.
Both of which could have vested interests in not promoting their competitors. 

I've known them long enough to say that they wouldn't opposed running an ad for WoT Con, cause More WoT Content the better.
I also know that they're busy enough that they wouldn't go out of their way to run a piece on it. They'd probably wait for WoT Con's organizers to post something/email them with some piece on it.

Nae'Bliss, runs TheGreatBlight.com - Directly competes with Dragonmount.com in terms of WoT related news/fantasy fandom, and has a competing Podcast. He, like Jason would have a vested reason to not advertise on DM. 

Rebecca posts news articles on DM from time to time. But she was the Programming Director. She was probably more worried about getting guests, vendors, etc all organied.

"Daraus Sedai" ran Marketing for WoT Con. - That's the guy you should be grilling about this. 

I don't know why "Daraus" didn't make a post here, or email Jason about making a news post... or even Ask Rebecca to post one for 'em.
My only guess is Daraus is a Twitter personality, and probably didn't see any reason to make a post on these forums. Getting people from twitter to DM is hard. People like their circles, and the ability to post low effort content for maximum clicks.