DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would you like to see On Screen that we never got to see On Page?

So with the show there is an opportunity to see more of the WoT Universe, there are many things that happen in the WoT Universe that we do not get to see On Page. It would seem from Season 1 AoL cold open that we are getting to see the time before the Breaking. 

I understand time and budget (not so much) constraints. But if you could see something that we never got to see On Page what would it be? I would like to see:

• The opening of the initial Bore and subsequent destruction of Collam Daan and the Sharom.
  • Lanfear publicly declaring for the Shadow.
  • Lews Therin humbling Ishamael in the Hall of Servants. (Would be good to have that set against the Battle in the Sky in Falme).
  • The creation of the first Shadowspawns by Aginor. 
  • The Sealing of the Bore and the counterstroke (as we know it wasn't a counterstroke but the result of the DO touching Saidin).
  • The Seige of Tar Valon by the Armies of Hawkwing.
  • More of Damodred and the Sharans - specifically him killing the Jumara and retrieving Sakarnan.

So what would you like to see?

All good.  I especially like the last one.

Since we're not getting everything from the books anyway and there is no harm in dreaming:

• Tuon as a child avoiding/sending assassins and interacting with the Deathwatch Guard.
  • More exploration into Aiel Warrior societies - how they are accepted, what makes them distinctive.  Most description in the books and the Encyclopedia give one sentence at most

Something mentioned recently in another thread made me think of this:

I would like to see what the Ways were like before the Darkness infected them.

In the books, we get no more than the line Loial already delivered in the show.  It would be nice to actually see it.

Aside from that, definitely more of the lands outside the Westlands:

Seanchan

Shara

Tremalking and the other Sea Folk islands.

I don't think I'd want to see any of those things in the mainline episodes, but these would be terrific additions to what I kept harping on about what they should have had last season, which is cartoon extras. Think how Game of Thrones had the Histories and Lore animated featurettes that would come when the DVDs were released, or the full-on anime and live action backstory feature films that Netflix is releasing to flesh out the worldbuilding for The Witcher.

Amazon did a tiny bit of this with the X-Ray extras, but ideas like this are something that would be a great idea for some kind of cartoon extra. It's not even foreign to Amazon at this point. They made an entire eight-episode season of expanded universe cartoon shorts for The Boys.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet I'd like to see is some depiction of the conquest of Seanchan.

18 hours ago, SilentRoamer said:

The opening of the initial Bore and subsequent destruction of Collam Daan and the Sharom.

We do get this in the Rhuidean flashback sequence (from a distance).

10 hours ago, Andra said:

I would like to see what the Ways were like before the Darkness infected them.

We do see this in some of the dream sequences - I think when Perrin is first stalking some of the forsaken.

19 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

We do see this in some of the dream sequences - I think when Perrin is first stalking some of the forsaken.

The Forsaken tend to use the Tel'aran'rhiod version of the Ways for many of their early meetings.  And Ba'alzamon does the same when trying to trap the boys.  

But those seem more like the damage has already happened, it's just that you can see (as you always can in the Dream).

I'd like them to show what Loial describes, with sunlight, grass and trees.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 2:44 AM, Nik said:

I love all of these. If they're going to cut characters so they can take others and expand them, these are my candidates for expansion/improvement:

- Lanfear

- Min

- Logain (already happening)

- Galad 

- Fain (give him a better ending please)

- Asmodean

- Tuon

- Verin

I think they should have left Fain out out of AMoL full stop. Leave him as mystery, would have been a better story.   

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 11:18 PM, Harldin said:

I think they should have left Fain out out of AMoL full stop. Leave him as mystery, would have been a better story.   

I was always hoping that Fain was being built up as a literal vessel for the DO, that the DO needed a human form to truly enter the pattern.  

• Community Administrator
8 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I was always hoping that Fain was being built up as a literal vessel for the DO, that the DO needed a human form to truly enter the pattern.  

That fits the Super Myrdraal more than Fain. 

Half-way thru the series, Fain was the antithesis of the DO, basically trying to replace 'em.

11 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

Not sure this applies to the topic - which I read as: what happened behind the scenes in the books that we want dragged to the forefront of the show.  I think your thought is asking for a change in the books.

I'm hoping we get to see more of Verin's sleuthing! We get a few bits and pieces in the books but most of the info is in a monologue to Egwene and the documents she leaves with her, which isn't a great format for TV. I'm biased though, as she was one of my favorites. I like that the books keep you guessing about who's side she's on, and I hope the same is true for the show.

I'm guessing they'll bring forward the Moraines alive reveal so it'd be nice to see more of what's happening there.

1. Moraines nightmares and power draining
  2. Moridin "saving" Lanfear

Also how cool would it be to see Semirage have a gay ole time destroying the Seanchen royalty and court!

I'd like to see Cadsuane capture Taim, a bit disappointed she apparently wasn't involved with Logains capture. Would have been a great way to introduce the legend with just a name drop during the convo of how he was caught, show how fabled her reputation is by the reaction of the AS just mentioning her name.

Edited by A Memory Of Why

On 10/27/2022 at 12:36 PM, ForsakenPotato said:

I'm hoping we get to see more of Verin's sleuthing! We get a few bits and pieces in the books but most of the info is in a monologue to Egwene and the documents she leaves with her, which isn't a great format for TV. I'm biased though, as she was one of my favorites. I like that the books keep you guessing about who's side she's on, and I hope the same is true for the show.

They would have to be careful to not give away too much and ruin verins big moment.  Enough that the viewers can catch her lies and other hints but not enough that it gives away what shes really doing. 

It would be best kept as a major plot twist like in the books

Edited by Dagon Thyne

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 6:46 PM, ForsakenPotato said:

@Dagon Thyne totally agree! Would love to see most of it (maybe she gets flashbacks or something during one episode) but only when it's time for the reveal. I think we should be kept guessing until the last moment what her deal is.

I'm sure, like most of us book readers, many viewers will catch on that she's black ajah by book 3  and be really confused as to why she seems to always be helping Rand and company.

Maybe they can lean into it and have flashbacks of her killing innocents and stuff like that.  We all know she did alot of evil shit to get as high int the BA as she was.  Make the veiwers hate her as much as Harry Potter fans hated Snape,and frame her helping the good guys as her manipulating them.    Then give her a big reveal as a double agent. 

Edited by Dagon Thyne