DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question about new spring

Jeff Sedai

Hi; I just finished reading the WoT series and am starting on New Spring. I was wondering anyone knows if there will be any more prequel novels for characters? And if there is any plans on a post WoT novel to catch us up on some of the mail characters like Rand, Perrin, Matt, Moiraine & Tom etc,…, 

Thanks

30 minutes ago, Jeff Sedai said:

Hi; I just finished reading the WoT series and am starting on New Spring. I was wondering anyone knows if there will be any more prequel novels for characters? And if there is any plans on a post WoT novel to catch us up on some of the mail characters like Rand, Perrin, Matt, Moiraine & Tom etc,…, 

Thanks

The last that I heard on the subject is that there are no plans to write more on the characters in the book series - either sequels or prequels.

There is a reported project for a trilogy of prequel FILMS.  But they are supposedly set during the Age of Legends and the Breaking.  So none of the modern characters would be involved.

Incidentally, while I know it's too late to say this now, I would have advised that you read New Spring much earlier in the series.  Somewhere between the end of book 3 and the beginning of book 7.  Preferably between tDR and tSR.

1 hour ago, Jeff Sedai said:

Thank you for the info; hopefully they Age of legend or Breaking trilogy does go into production. I hope to re-reading the series in a few years. I’ll definitely start with New Spring. 

thanks,

I still wouldn't start with New Spring, either.

Jordan wrote EotW as his introduction into this world.  He uses it to let the readers discover it alongside the naive characters.  Reading New Spring first spoils that rhythm.  You learn too much before meeting everyone.

Seriously, it fits the pace of the story better between books three and four.

• Community Administrator
7 hours ago, Jeff Sedai said:

Thanks

RJ had some ideas for some outrigger novels, which may or may not have included some prequels.

He also had an idea for a new series rumbling in his head called "Infinity of Heaven"; but alas, we'll never get to see any of those works.

5 hours ago, Andra said:

I still wouldn't start with New Spring, either.

Jordan wrote EotW as his introduction into this world.  He uses it to let the readers discover it alongside the naive characters.  Reading New Spring first spoils that rhythm.  You learn too much before meeting everyone.

Seriously, it fits the pace of the story better between books three and four.

Even after reading the entire series multiple times?

Last two times through, I read prequel first then the main books.  I already know the world.  Too jarring for me to have an extended flashback with several main characters.

3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Even after reading the entire series multiple times?

Last two times through, I read prequel first then the main books.  I already know the world.  Too jarring for me to have an extended flashback with several main characters.

This is my first re-read and I decided to leave New Spring until the end (or at least publication order). There's a tonne I have forgotten and I want to re-learn the world as Jordan intended. 

As a new reader I would never read new Spring first - its kind of like reading The Magicians Nephew - it spoils some of the discovery and the wonder. 

I don't know what Jordan's intention was with New Spring.  But I have a pretty good idea how the book came about.

• He wrote a short story for the 'Legends' anthology.  The purpose of the anthology was to have a bunch of fantasy authors expand the universe of their popular world.
  • New Spring was based off this short story.
  • Probably wrote it to take a break from the Faile/Shaido arc... 😁

The short story came out around the same time as Path of Daggers. The novel came out after CoT. I personally like reading it after FoH as a (temporary) farewell to Moiraine's character. But I like @Andra's idea of reading it between TDR and TSR too.

9 hours ago, Nik said:

The short story came out around the same time as Path of Daggers. The novel came out after CoT. I personally like reading it after FoH as a (temporary) farewell to Moiraine's character. But I like @Andra's idea of reading it between TDR and TSR too.

And mostly that placement was to avoid putting it too early.  Pretty much anywhere between there and Crown of Swords would work.

Spoiler

My main reason for putting it after tDR is so it doesn't spoil our introduction to the Black Ajah.  Nothing shows why Siuan Sanche makes the decisions she did with setting the Supergirls as her "hounds" than New Spring.  But it helps the story if we don't already know they exist before their discovery.

My main reason for putting it before CoS is because it keeps Cadsuane's appearance from being bafflingly out of the blue.

And yes, if someone has already read the whole series, none of that matters as much.  But on my most recent re-read, I found the rhythm of the story still worked better that way.

Since there's always stuff you forget in between, the timing at which you're reminded helps the experience.

At least that's the case for me.

• 1 month later...

I finished a re-read of the series and then discovered and read New Spring.  The reviews were not as good as the WOT series but I found it very entertaining.  I couldn't help myself and re-read The Eye of the World (TEOTW).  Wow,  Moiraine really made more sense to me. 

Spoiler

TEOTW completed her epic search for the Dragon Reborn.  The last sentence of the book was; "The Prophecies will be fullfilled," [Moriraine] whispered. "The Dragon is Reborn."

Robert Jordan had planed on another sequel/prequel to Moiraine's epic search.  I sure wish Harriet McDougal would approve another talented writer to complete it.  Moiraine's events I would love to see in the story:

Spoiler

- When did she first met the Green man?

- What was the story behind Lan riding a horse to death to bring Moiraine to Anaiya Correl for healing. And did Lan get Mandarb following this?

- When did Moiraine get Aldieb following Arrow?

- What happened to make Moiraine suspicious of Verin?

- Certainly she had further encounters with the Dark Ajah.  How did she evade discovery following encounters?

- Was the Two Rivers the first time she met Thom?

- How did she get her female angreal?

- When did she become knowledgeable of Min from two un-named Aes Sedai?

- How did the search evolve with Siuan?

- What drew her and Lan to the Two Rivers?

What would you add or subtract?

1 hour ago, Remodel said:

I finished a re-read of the series and then discovered and read New Spring.  The reviews were not as good as the WOT series but I found it very entertaining.  I couldn't help myself and re-read The Eye of the World (TEOTW).  Wow,  Moiraine really made more sense to me. 

Hide contents

TEOTW completed her epic search for the Dragon Reborn.  The last sentence of the book was; "The Prophecies will be fullfilled," [Moriraine] whispered. "The Dragon is Reborn."

Robert Jordan had planed on another sequel/prequel to Moiraine's epic search.  I sure wish Harriet McDougal would approve another talented writer to complete it.  Moiraine's events I would love to see in the story:

Hide contents

- When did she first met the Green man?

- What was the story behind Lan riding a horse to death to bring Moiraine to Anaiya Correl for healing. And did Lan get Mandarb following this?

- When did Moiraine get Aldieb following Arrow?

- What happened to make Moiraine suspicious of Verin?

- Certainly she had further encounters with the Dark Ajah.  How did she evade discovery following encounters?

- Was the Two Rivers the first time she met Thom?

- How did she get her female angreal?

- When did she become knowledgeable of Min from two un-named Aes Sedai?

- How did the search evolve with Siuan?

- What drew her and Lan to the Two Rivers?

What would you add or subtract?

All good stuff to know, but I don't need all the answers.  Would answering all these questions generate more?  The series is good as is for me - not that I'd complain about additional material.

Brandon confirmed no prequel novels.  RJ had planned at least three prequel series.  Tam finding Rand, Tuon and Mat recovering her homeland, and I if I remember right how Moiraine/Lan ended up in the Two Rivers.  Brandon said all RJ left were a few sentences starting the book for Mat and Tuon going to reunite Senchean.  It was Perin on a ship heading somewhere thinking how he hoped he wasn't going to have to kill a friend (or something like that).  Brandon mentioned wasn't going to do anything since he would have to make up 99% of story since there wasn't alot to go on in RJ's notes.  And simply making it all up might be totally opposite of what RJ was planning.  At least one prequel might have been a possible had RJ left more notes.