DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New to Forum, New to Series

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all here.

I have only recently started the series thanks to this YouTuber named Daniel Greene.

Wheel of Time is a series I have heard going around but I was always daunted by the sheer number of books that were in the series and the world around it. After watching more videos about why I should read the series I decided to start after watching a trailer of the TV adaptation.
It is really nice to read fantasy again (my only experience being books of Tolkien, JRRM, Harry Potter and faint memories of YA Fantasy at least 15 years ago). To give some context, my go to genre has always been psychological thrillers, horror or sad books.

I have finished The Eye of The World in about four days and wow it felt like such a throwback to when I would hide myself in magical worlds where there are just so many things to learn about. To follow the group on their journey away from their home village was really different but also comforting now that I am using the eyes of an adult to understand the characters a bit better. 

Sorry if I have blabbled on so much. 

Thanks for all the work done on this site. 

Hey @bananachocopie! I've checked out Daniel Greene too and really liked his channel.

It's interesting that the TV show trailer got you into reading the books, . Even though I;d read the books before the show came out, I really enjoyed the mystery and theatricality of the trailers.

I still haven't read much of Tolkien or JRRM. I've kind of put off JRRM because I wasn't too into the GOT show, but his book "Fevre Dream" was recommended by Hidetaka Myazaki, so I'll probably check it out.

I've read Harry Potter numerous times since I was a kid and plenty of YA. It's interesting to compare the magic system in Harry Potter to the one in WOT. I find them to be very different in both theme and practicality, which is great! I also read the Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) books as a kid, and I think that really influenced my early Fantasy perspective before I took the plunge into The Wheel of Time. The Eye of The World is such a good read. It's one of my favorites of the series for sure.

Welcome to Dragonmount!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, @bananachocopie !  

Wow, you finished the book fast.  (I’m still reading it, and loving every page.)  How did you like it, and who was your favorite character?

You mentioned Tolkien and GRRM.  How much by them have you read?  I’m a big fan of Tolkien myself, and I was reading GRRM’s Game of Thrones series before discovering WoT.   

Happy reading!

• 3 weeks later...