DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One Power Creativity and Skill - Lesson 2

Muirenn

Muirenn was adjusting a vase of flowers on her desk when the first student entered the room. She gave the girl a brief smile, and returned to arranging the flowers. The girl gave her a quizzical look in return, especially since it wasn’t the season for lilacs.

As the rest of the students filtered in, she stopped and began her lecture. “I hope that you all have, so far, enjoyed this class. We have several things to learn today, although I do not think that you will find it as challenging as the last class,” she paused and smiled at the relieved looks on the faces of many of the girls. “We are going to learn some weaves today that have some very practical applications. As you know, not all Aes Sedai have the same strength in the One Power. So a weave that is easy for one woman can be much more difficult, or even impossible, for another. However, there are many simple tricks that Aes Sedai use which do not take much strength. For instance, when was the last time you saw an Aes Sedai who had to continually brush her hair back from her face?” A few of the Accepted laughed at the thought of a dignified Aes Sedai with hair hanging in her eyes. “It wouldn’t do to lose your composure during an important negotiation by trying to fix your hair, would it? So, we Aes Sedai have a trick to keeping our hair back. And nonchannelers are none the wiser.” Muirenn embraced saidar and turned to look in the mirror on her desk. She wove a small flow of Air and wrapped it around her hair. When she turned around, she had a nice, simple ponytail. “And best of all, it will not fall out. Much more elaborate styles may be done with practice. Some even that would be the envy of the Cairhienin.” She told the girls to each practice that weave using the mirrors on the back table. (OOC: Air: 1, Skill: 10)

After being sure that they each had that weave down, she moved on to the next topic, “Another thing you never see Aes Sedai doing is cleaning. Now, as Accepted, you must not use the Power to complete your chores. An over reliance on saidar can be deadly.” She made sure that each of the girls understood this concept before continuing, “However, there are ways that Aes Sedai keep their rooms clean with the Power. One thing you will never see is an Aes Sedai with a dusty room.” She drew their attention to a shelf that had a fairly large layer of dust. “Now, I’ve left this shelf to sit for a few weeks, for the purposes of demonstration. Watch, please.” She formed a thin sheet of Air and slid it along the shelf. When the dust had been gathered at the end, she used a bit of Water and Air to clump together the dust and toss it out the window. By the looks on her student’s faces, she could tell they had enjoyed that trick. (OOC: Air: 2, Water: 1, Skill: 9)

She walked back to the front of the room where her desk was. Picking up the vase of lilacs, she continued, “Now, I suppose you must be wondering what these lilacs are doing here so far out of season. This is the next weave I will show you. In intermediate saidar, you each learned how to help a seed to grow and blossom. In this class we will take it a step further and show you how to keep those flowers from decay.” She wove a thin net of Spirit over the blossoms and after letting it settle, tightened it and tied it off. “These flowers will remain fresh for as long as the net remains. I would like you to each practice causing a flower to bloom, and then weaving a Keeping over it.” (Spirit: 2 Air: 1, Water: 1, Earth: 1, Fire: 1, Skill: 13)

“My final lesson for the day is more of a practice than anything else.” She held her hand in a cupped position, with her fingers slightly spread apart. Three glowing balls of white light danced from one finger to another. “As you can see, these are woven of Fire, Air, and Spirit. The amount of Fire controls the brightness, the Air gives it fuel, and the Spirit holds it all together. By adding or taking away a bit of Spirit, you can also change the color.” She demonstrated this last part by making the three balls change rapidly through the spectrum, beginning with red and settling on violet. “For this next part of the demonstration, I will need a volunteer,” she chose a girl in the front row. “Often, it is neccessary to work together with someone to accomplish a common goal. I would like you to make a single ball of light, like mine.” She waited as the girl complied, “Now, we are going to pass the two lights to one another. You maintain my weave when I release it, and I, in turn, will take control of yours. On the first attempt, the ball the Accepted was supposed to catch vanished. The second attempt proved better, and the weave flickered, but stayed intact. Muirenn turned back to the class, “I would like you to practice first by yourself, until you get comfortable with the different variations and then with a partner for the second half of the exercise. When you are ready, come to me and show me a ball of light that is red, one blue, and one green. Then, with your partner, demonstrate passing two balls of light back and forth.” (OOC: Air: 1, Fire: 1, Spirit: 1, Skill: holding: 8, passing: 16)

Homework: Just RP the lesson, and be sure to show me the balls of light.

Next Lesson: Wards

-Muirenn Lina Alianin

Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest nephitess

IC: Veria arrived for her creativity with the power lesson late. She had been held up by a brown sister who seemed to like the sound of her own voice…though the subject was interesting…Old tongue translations….Veria had watched the sun with a nervous eye.

Stepping in to the class…she quickly took her seat under the stern gaze of her teacher. Once she was seated, Veria took notes on what her teacher was saying.

“We are going to learn some weaves today that have some very practical applications. As you know, not all Aes Sedai have the same strength in the One Power. So a weave that is easy for one woman can be much more difficult, or even impossible, for another. However, there are many simple tricks that Aes Sedai use which do not take much strength. For instance, when was the last time you saw an Aes Sedai who had to continually brush her hair back from her face?” A few of the Accepted laughed at the thought of a dignified Aes Sedai with hair hanging in her eyes. “It wouldn’t do to lose your composure during an important negotiation by trying to fix your hair, would it? So, we Aes Sedai have a trick to keeping our hair back. And nonchannelers are none the wiser.” Muirenn embraced saidar and turned to look in the mirror on her desk. She wove a small flow of Air and wrapped it around her hair. When she turned around, she had a nice, simple ponytail. “And best of all, it will not fall out. Much more elaborate styles may be done with practice. Some even that would be the envy of the Cairhienin.”

With a small laugh on amusement Veria tried the weave when instructed. Embracing the source she gently wove the threads around her long red hair. Pulling on the weave she was able to lift her hair up into a ponytail and secure it. Looking at herself in the mirror on her desk she appraised the trick. It would be useful….and fun to experiment with! With a small grin she let her hair down and waited for the next thing the teacher would instruct them in.

“Another thing you never see Aes Sedai doing is cleaning. Now, as Accepted, you must not use the Power to complete your chores. An over reliance on saidar can be deadly. However, there are ways that Aes Sedai keep their rooms clean with the Power. One thing you will never see is an Aes Sedai with a dusty room.” She drew their attention to a shelf that had a fairly large layer of dust. “Now, I’ve left this shelf to sit for a few weeks, for the purposes of demonstration. Watch, please.”

Watching the weave that Muir Sedai wove, Veria could see only air until the dust was piled at the end of the shelf. It was then that a small thread of water as introduced to the weave. Nodding Veria took a note of this, it was a very practical weave and she did not want to forget it. Looking up she saw the ball or dust shoot out the window. Smiling, Veria knew she would use this trick.

The Red Sister turned away from the class and walked over to her desk. Picking up her vase of flowers she said…

“Now, I suppose you must be wondering what these lilacs are doing here so far out of season. This is the next weave I will show you. In intermediate saidar, you each learned how to help a seed to grow and blossom. In this class we will take it a step further and show you how to keep those flowers from decay.”

The teacher wove a beautiful and delicate weave of spirit which she laid over the flowers. 

“These flowers will remain fresh for as long as the net remains. I would like you to each practice causing a flower to bloom, and then weaving a Keeping over it.”

Watching where the sister pointed, Veria stood and walked over to gather a seed and a pot with earth in it. Sitting back at her desk she wove water and spirit into the seed to encourage growth. Once she saw the sprout she fed more spirit to the new plant. Eventually the plant had many full purple blossoms with velvet petals. Seeing at its full growth she took spirit and remembering the weave she wove the design. Laying on the flowers she watched to see if she had done it right. With a sigh she saw the flowers wilt and die. ‘Let’s try that one again’ she said to her self. Going through the growth process again she had a tulip this time. Reweaving the Keeping weave she laid it gently in the flower. This time is worked. Tucking the flower into her hair Veria used the hair trick and secured it there.

“My final lesson for the day is more of a practice than anything else.” The teacher held her hand in a cupped position, with her fingers slightly spread apart. Three glowing balls of white light danced from one finger to another. “As you can see, these are woven of Fire, Air, and Spirit. The amount of Fire controls the brightness, the Air gives it fuel, and the Spirit holds it all together. By adding or taking away a bit of Spirit, you can also change the color.” She demonstrated this last part by making the three balls change rapidly through the spectrum, beginning with red and settling on violet. “For this next part of the demonstration, I will need a volunteer,”

Muir Sedai pointed at Veria....’serves me right for being late’ she thought. Getting up Veria walked to the front of the room and stood by the sister.

“Often, it is necessary to work together with someone to accomplish a common goal. I would like you to make a single ball of light, like mine.”

Veria nodded and embraced the source. Creating the ball she waited.

“Now, we are going to pass the two lights to one another. You maintain my weave when I release it, and I, in turn, will take control of yours.”

On the first attempt, the ball Veria was supposed to catch vanished. The second time she got it, even though she let the weave flicker....

Muirenn Sedai turned back to the class, “I would like you to practice first by yourself, until you get comfortable with the different variations and then with a partner for the second half of the exercise. When you are ready, come to me and show me a ball of light that is red, one blue, and one green. Then, with your partner, demonstrate passing two balls of light back and forth.”

Going back to her seat Veria and her neighbor practiced and went to show the teacher. With a nod Muir Sedai dismissed them.

OOC: Done! :D