DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does RJ use ideas from this site?

The Blue Melon

I haven't been here that long so I don't know if this question has been posed before. But here goes nothing:

Do you think Robert Jordan reads this stuff and uses some ideas that some topics have posed?

I mean it might sound really dumb, but, really, I wouldn't mind some of the ideas I've heard here in the book. If this question has already been posed just tell me. I just want to know what you all think.

Guest Barmacral

I don't believe he does... I could be wrong, but I think that he posted in a blog somewhere that he has a list of idea's which he pulls things out of and uses. I think he also said in a blog that he does look around these sites just to see what people think, and how close they are to the truth.

The truth is though, we really don't know. He may, he may not.

Jordan has seen the site and has probably looked over the boards a few times. He likes to see how wrong our theories really are. His assistant probably looks at us more than he does though. He's made some comments in interviews and in his blog that reference things on the boards here and other places.

There's been a long-standing rumour that RJ changed the Taim/Demandred thing because people guessed it on the fan boards, but that may just be BS. As RJ and other authors have said, for every one person reading about stuff to do with their series on the Internet there's another hundred and fifty who don't, so changing stuff is a bit pointless.

Or to put it another way, all of the WoT boards between them, even assuming that each person is not also a member of other boards (definitely not true), have less than 20,000 members. Rough estimates put book sales at 30 million, so assume 3 million people have read the whole series. That's not a large percentage of readers who are online and check out the forums.

OTOH, RJ has definitely said that he reads over the "Who Killed Asmodean?" threads, as he likes to see people squirm and has said that although most people get it wrong, a few people get it right.

There's been a long-standing rumour that RJ changed the Taim/Demandred thing because people guessed it on the fan boards, but that may just be BS. As RJ and other authors have said, for every one person reading about stuff to do with their series on the Internet there's another hundred and fifty who don't, so changing stuff is a bit pointless.

Or to put it another way, all of the WoT boards between them, even assuming that each person is not also a member of other boards (definitely not true), have less than 20,000 members. Rough estimates put book sales at 30 million, so assume 3 million people have read the whole series. That's not a large percentage of readers who are online and check out the forums.

OTOH, RJ has definitely said that he reads over the "Who Killed Asmodean?" threads, as he likes to see people squirm and has said that although most people get it wrong, a few people get it right.

Archived