DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

First Time Reader

Dear all,

I've just started the Wheel of Time the other week, & I'm really enjoying it so far. 

I'm part-way through the second book :  'The Great Hunt'. 

I've heard that there's romance in this series, & -- as a sucker for that stuff myself -- I just wondered when it started.

Also, if I have questions as I read, is it O.K. for me to post them here , or is there somewhere else that's more appropriate? 

-V

Oh, and as to your specific question on romance...  Guess it depends on your definition.  There are relationships, but I think most of them develop slowly.  I don't consider the series to be heavy on the romance but there are romantic elements.  If you are reading specifically for romance, I think you will be disappointed.  It is definitely there but I don't consider it a major part of the series.

Just one reader's opinion.

Dear DojoToad,

Ah, thank you for your reply & welcome.

I thought as much re. the romance.

I laughed out loud at your 'pronoun' entry. Would you mind if I copied it?

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said : "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

-V

16 minutes ago, Vengeance208 said:

Dear DojoToad,

Ah, thank you for your reply & welcome.

I thought as much re. the romance.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said : "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

-V

Ha.  No problem at all.  Copy away.

3 hours ago, Vengeance208 said:

I only noticed that now, and I must say I agree! 😄

@Vengeance208 I must agree with DojoToad regarding the romance thingy. RJ didn't do romance very well, to be honest - most of them seem to come out of left field ... lol ... anyhoo, there are so many other aspects of the books which are fantastic that I forgive him for that.

Do you have any favourite characters or groups of characters from the books yet?

I say he had good ideas but I found him abit slow sometimes getting the stories going and some characters just are there but that’s just my opinion 

overall it’s quite good story better than game of thrones i think at least i cared about most people in this series 

As far as romance goes, read Harriet's intro to Warrior of the Altai'i on RJ's great strengths as a romance novelist, which involved writing a draft of a love scene that included a duck. I went and re-read entire Wheel of Time after reading Warrior of the Altai'i for the first time a couple of years ago, but tragically you will find no ducks intruding on anything even approximating to a love scene in WOT, thus they cannot be termed RJ Love Scenes. Thus there is no romance in WOT, from beginning to end. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. 🙂