DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Looking for details regarding the OP system and the WoT cosmere.

Madjai

Hi all.

I am doing research for a fantasy novel as a love letter to some of my favorite authors. As I am drawing on different magic systems for inspiration in constructing my own, I have some questions related to the OP system in WoT;

- Magic amplification and Angreals;

So I understand the Angreals to be additive, what I'd like to know is the mechanics of how an angreal amplifies the source from a more technical perspective, but also how such amplification can (do they in WoT?) affect different weaves. In some instances, it seems to work with raw saidin or saidar, and just goes boom? But then we have other examples in the book where channelers are using angreal to form specific weaves (Egwynne and the FoTV) or perform specific or more delicate operations (Siuan x Vora & Co.)

Also, in the realm of theorycraft, let us assume in some later age the talent for Angreal making has become more prevalent and well studied. What sort of technological improvements do you see being made to Angreal? Perhaps Angreal that also function as Ter'angreal? A paralis-net seems to have been designed during the Breaking in apprehending male channelers. But what other angrealic nets do you suppose could exist in some later age?

Also, I understand there to be other worlds in the WoT universe. How does the Dark One manifestation work in these other worlds? Is saidin tainted everywhere in the universe or just in Randland?

I understand some of my questions may not have direct answers from the author or are to be found in cannon, so I am open to theorycrafting 🙂 Thanks!

Saidin is tainted in all worlds, I think. How the Dark One's manifestations worked in Randland should be exactly the same in each world, since he is touching Creation through his prison.

There are four differences, however:

The first is, other characters will deal with the issues as they occur in each world.

The second, is that those key characters in each world will be like Egwene, or Nyneave in the books at least, or Perrin and Mat at most if there are Taveren involved in those worlds. Rand is a separate issue, and is the last point. 

The third, is that certain worlds will reflect Randland, but arranged in a different layout. Remember The Gathering Storm, when a novice saw an Aes Sedai walk through one wall, and through the opposite wall above the ground.

That was not a ghost, but an Aes Sedai walking a hallway in her world and in that arrangement how her White Tower was built, since the Randland hallway in Egwene's Tower has been in the exact arrangement for three thousand years since it was first built.

The fourth, and final difference, is that Rand's fight with the Dark One ONLY occurred in Randland, since his Taveren importance only showed up here, which is why gateways did not work once he entered Shayol Ghul. All other worlds fought their Last Battle as Mat and Egwene did, fighting the reflection of the Dark One's forces in their worlds as the fight took place in the books.