DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Awards and Nominations

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I didn't see that episode.  What do you all think are chances for the win?  Would probably help if you saw at least some of the competition.

6 was probably my least favourite episode. I was infuriated that we had an image of Loial looking at a map with Moiraine and Lan only for this to be cut! 

12 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I didn't see that episode.  What do you all think are chances for the win?  Would probably help if you saw at least some of the competition.

• The Wheel of Time: The Flame of Tar Valon, written by Justine Juel Gillmer, directed by Salli Richardson-Whitfield, based on The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (Amazon Studios)
  • For All Mankind: The Grey, written by Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi; directed by Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (Tall Ship Productions/Sony Pictures Television)
  • Arcane: The Monster You Created, written by Christian Linke and Alex Yee; story by Christian Linke, Alex Yee, Conor Sheehy, and Ash Brannon; directed by Pascal Charrue and Arnaud Delord (Netflix)
  • The Expanse: Nemesis Games, written by Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck, and Naren Shankar; directed by Breck Eisner (Amazon Studios)
  • Loki: The Nexus Event, written by Eric Martin, directed by Kate Herron, created for television by Michael Waldron (Disney+)
  • Star Trek: Lower Decks: wej Duj, written by Kathryn Lyn, directed by Bob Suarez (CBS Eye Animation Productions)

Seen the Expanse and it is much better than any episode of WoT season 1

Loki was IMO only okay but its episode is rated 9.1 on IMDB to 7.5 for WoTs episode plus the actors for Loki are a mile better.

Arcanes episode is rated 9.7 on IMDB to 7.5 for Wots

So I would think almost no chance of winning and nor does it deserve to. Its even the terrible episode with Mat being left behind. The only reason I can imagine it got nominated is for the Lesbian scene.

Edited by Mailman

Ep6 is pretty good. there is some good drama between moiraine and siuan. they presented siuan story well, and that's what Ep6 is about, and it's good.

loial doesn't have much space. pity. he doesn't have much space in the book either, sometimes disappearing for many books. mat leaving in the end is... not the best outcome, but the actor didn't come back and they did what they could with what they had.

12 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Ep6 is pretty good. there is some good drama between moiraine and siuan. they presented siuan story well, and that's what Ep6 is about, and it's good.

loial doesn't have much space. pity. he doesn't have much space in the book either, sometimes disappearing for many books. mat leaving in the end is... not the best outcome, but the actor didn't come back and they did what they could with what they had.

So have you compared it against the competition.  Same, better, worse...

55 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

It's up to the awards committee and I don't know what they look for.  Whether or not it wins isn't really the relevant news.  There were many fantasy and science fiction shows in 2021, and of all of them, this episode of WOT was among these 5 chosen to be nominated.  Compared to the non-nominated competition, this won. 

I think it's silly to competitively rank shows in this way. They are all works of art and art is IMO not easily quantifiable and rarely fairly ranked. In addition, the themes and art directions of the nominated shows are all over the place. I don't see an easy way to compare them. That being said, since WoT is nominated for "Best Dramatic Presentation" I think any of the scenes listed below make it a strong contender for this award:

- Logaine's judgement (Probably my favorite moment in this episode.)

- Moraine and Liandrin's scenes

- Shack dream scene

- Siuane, Nynaeve, and Egwene's scene

- Oath rod scene

- (I also thought the costuming and score for this episode were terrific.)

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

The only other show from the nominations list that I've scene is Loki: The Nexus Event, and it's such a different show that I find it difficult to compare the two. Loki has the entire MCU series to build off of for character growth, so it's a poor comparison.

I like both shows. I found the chemistry between Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson to be superb in Loki, but I think there was a stronger mix of good chemistry between a wider group of the actors in WoT

*shrug*

9 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

It's up to the awards committee and I don't know what they look for.  Whether or not it wins isn't really the relevant news.  There were many fantasy and science fiction shows in 2021, and of all of them, this episode of WOT was among these 5 chosen to be nominated.  Compared to the non-nominated competition, this won. 

It’s a participation trophy until they win. When is the voting results announced?

17 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

It’s a participation trophy until they win. When is the voting results announced?

So far as I know, they haven't said yet.

Voting will begin sometime in May.

Last year's Hugo Awards were presented at DisCon III in Washington D.C. in December.

10 hours ago, VooDooNut said:

I think it's silly to competitively rank shows in this way. They are all works of art and art is IMO not easily quantifiable and rarely fairly ranked. In addition, the themes and art directions of the nominated shows are all over the place. I don't see an easy way to compare them. That being said, since WoT is nominated for "Best Dramatic Presentation" I think any of the scenes listed below make it a strong contender for this award:

- Logaine's judgement (Probably my favorite moment in this episode.)

- Moraine and Liandrin's scenes

- Shack dream scene

- Siuane, Nynaeve, and Egwene's scene

- Oath rod scene

- (I also thought the costuming and score for this episode were terrific.)

*shrug*

I hated most of the things that you found praise worthy in the episode.

Logains judgement was a petty use of power to torment a man already doomed to a lifetime of misery.

Moiraine and Liandrin had one scene where Moiraine threatens her the others where all average at best.

Shack scene, from watching the show I have no idea whether it was teleportation or a dream if it was a dream did she really spend the entire night facing the wall, non book viewers would have been in even more of the dark with no knowledge of travelling or of the dream world. The scene also damaged the 2 characters by undermining there fight against the shadow to a secondary level.

Oath rod. For the highest group of the Aes Sedai who are supremely adept at making words their plaything to not notice or care about the the change of words in the oath was terrible. Why would they even require the oath rod she has already taken a oath to speak the truth if she plainly spoke that she would be banished that would have held as strongly as adding a further oath. It makes no sense.

Edited by Mailman

39 minutes ago, Mailman said:

I hated most of the things that you found praise worthy in the episode.

Logains judgement was a petty use of power to torment a man already doomed to a lifetime of misery.

Actually, what I liked about the scene was Logain's taunting Siuan as a means to secure his own death and the Amyrlin Seat seeing right through this attempt. To me, this showed both how deeply depressed Logain is at this point (a good moment to teach the audience the despair of a gentled man), and how wise Siuan is (or believes herself to be) to see his actions for what they truly are. The judgement itself was secondary.

I thought both actors sold the scene very well.

54 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

Actually, what I liked about the scene was Logain's taunting Siuan as a means to secure his own death and the Amyrlin Seat seeing right through this attempt. To me, this showed both how deeply depressed Logain is at this point (a good moment to teach the audience the despair of a gentled man), and how wise Siuan is (or believes herself to be) to see his actions for what they truly are. The judgement itself was secondary.

I thought both actors sold the scene very well.

Thats why her response was so poor it was a shallow tantrum in response to his obvious attempt to provoke her into killing him.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:59 AM, DojoToad said:

For mine, every episode of The Expanse was gold standard TV; story, technical, acting all top level. As much as I didn't mind most of WOT, it's B grade in comparison.

Loki probably objectively better made, even if it's not as interesting as WOT.

6 minutes ago, wastingtime said:

For mine, every episode of The Expanse was gold standard TV; story, technical, acting all top level. As much as I didn't mind most of WOT, it's B grade in comparison.

Loki probably objectively better made, even if it's not as interesting as WOT.

Thanks for the personal review. Might just check out Expanse yet,

I thought that was a pretty good episode, all things considered, but the Arcane finale should definitely win. Still think Expanse is the best overall sci-fi show, just that no single episode really stands out much, and that specific episode has the pretty big downside of having to change a major plot point in post-production because of an actor getting me too'd. I don't want to spoiler Arcane, but it pretty much out Game of Thrones'd Game of Thrones with that ending. No idea where they'll go with season two, but I can't wait to see it.

• 6 months later...

I didn't see that episode.Know anything about business plans? Before, I had no idea how to even draught business proposals. After that, I discovered the website africanexponent.com/post/18186-write-business-plan-for-immigration-visas-with-great-expertise and used it to learn how to create business plans.

Edited by RichardHofmann

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel of Time won CLIO awards for: 

Bronze Award for Creative Content (Ogier Longing Origin Video)

Bronze Award for Outdoor Advertising (London Marquee)

Shortlist for Integrated Advertising Campaign

Short List for Main Title/Credits

Short List for Television/Series

Short List for Billboard

Short List for Single Video

7 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

Wheel of Time won CLIO awards for: 

Bronze Award for Creative Content (Ogier Longing Origin Video)

Bronze Award for Outdoor Advertising (London Marquee)

Shortlist for Integrated Advertising Campaign

Short List for Main Title/Credits

Short List for Television/Series

Short List for Billboard

Short List for Single Video

Sorry for my ignorance, but I had to google CLIO awards.  Please correct me if I'm off-base here - these awards relate to how well a show is marketed - but can have little to nothing to do with how 'good' the actual show is?  This has more to do with how well Amazon promoted the show.

Right, wrong, close, far...?

Edited by DojoToad