DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gathering Storms

Pembie

23 hours ago, Pembie said:

I haven’t really enjoyed the start to this book I forget what is that Gaywn does?

You're not alone in disliking Gawyn's story here.

Gawyn is Elayne's full brother (Galad is half brother to both of them) who came to the White Tower at the same time she did in order to receive Warder training.  When the Amyrlin was deposed, he sided with Elaida, and prevented Siuan and Leane from being rescued before they could be stilled.  But then allowed them to leave with Min.

He was with the Tower's "embassy" in Cairhien, and met with Egwene there.  Where they fell in love with each other.

He stayed loyal to Elaida even after Dumai's Wells, even rescuing several Sisters after the battle and getting them back to the Tower.  Elaida has been mistreating him, possibly going so far as to try and get him killed on several occasions.

He's been leading raids against the besieging forces since then.

I won't spoil anything else for you in his future.

Edited by Andra

5 hours ago, Pembie said:

When Rand was dreaming and seen Moridin  I was suprised that Rand doesn’t seem to realise that people were reborn I just assumed he knew about that especially with him being the dragon reborn and Lewis Terrain 

He knows people are reborn by the Wheel, but that's not how Moridin came to be.

People who are reborn enter the world as babies normally do, and grow naturally into who they are.  Moridin was intentionally resurrected into an adult body by the Dark One.  Something readers have had the opportunity to get a handle on, but which he hadn't heard about yet.

5 hours ago, Pembie said:

Oh you mean when the dark one brings them back not the wheel like Rands enemy’s 

Side note I haven’t noticed many of Mins viewings are you meant too on the first time through 

Yeah.  Until he meets Moridin in that "dream," he thinks that all the Forsaken that have died are, you know - dead.  He learns there that Balefire is the only way to prevent the Dark One from bringing them back.

Some of Min's viewings are obvious - like Rand's  three women, or Perrin's hawk and falcon, or disaster in the White Tower.  Others are much more obscure.  Some are so obscure it's still debated among book fans whether or not they've happened by the end of the story.

But yes, a second time through the books will likely show you some that you missed the first time.  As with a lot of other details in the story.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:16 AM, Pembie said:

So IIyena is Min from the last time the wheel turned clever and seeing as Semirhage was trying to get Rand to kill Min It might not have been Lewis Terrain who killed IIyena he might have been under someone’s control too do it 

I always thought that if anyone is Ilyena reborn, it would be Elayne. But I have no support for that statement. ? 

But yeah, Rand did just burn Semirhage and Elza from the pattern with balefire. And now he's at an all time low, mentally, which will cause some issues later on. It's the start to one of the best character arcs in the entire series, in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, Pembie said:

So Min isn’t IIyena?

Yes. No. Maybe. As far as I can tell, there's no evidence she is. But time is cyclical and souls are reincarnated between, or even within, ages. Ilyena's soul might have been reincarnated into a character we know, but the story is never explicit about it.

My head canon says the best chance for an Ilyena reincarnation is in Elayne, but there's also no evidence for that, other than it "feels right". To me at least. You can stick to your theory that it's actually Min. That's the beauty of a big series like WoT. Everybody gets to have their own theories and interpretations. ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this book gave me a thought Rand is the dragon but his slightly mad now blowing people and up with Balfire 

Is Ewenge a more calm and collective version of Rand? Making her the female version of the dragon if felmales could become the Dragon 

2 hours ago, Pembie said:

Reading this book gave me a thought Rand is the dragon but his slightly mad now blowing people and up with Balfire 

Is Ewenge a more calm and collective version of Rand? Making her the female version of the dragon if felmales could become the Dragon 

I would say she's more likely Latra Posae Decume (from the TV show Episode 8 opener) reborn.  Though some of the things about her in the show don't come from the books.

It might have made sense for her to be Amaresu (one of the Heroes of the Horn) reborn, except that we know Amaresu was still available to be called by the Horn when Egwene was already alive.  And when a Hero is reborn, they are no longer available.