DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's campaign in Altara against the Seanchan

Luinedhel

One of the most underrated moments of the series is definitely Rand's campaign against the Seanchan in Altara. You never see it mentioned anywhere, although it's epic almost to the level of Dumai's Wells, with even more troops involved, and at least 4 full battles engaged. And not even mentioning the fact that it was the first major blow to the Seanchan army, bigger than the defeat at Falme. Here's an animated breakdown of the battles:

https://youtu.be/gXzobNaJsW4

Edited by Luinedhel

On 3/18/2022 at 11:58 AM, Luinedhel said:

One of the most underrated moments of the series is definitely Rand's campaign against the Seanchan in Altara. You never see it mentioned anywhere, although it's epic almost to the level of Dumai's Wells, with even more troops involved, and at least 4 full battles engaged. And not even mentioning the fact that it was the first major blow to the Seanchan army, bigger than the defeat at Falme. Here's an animated breakdown of the battles:

https://youtu.be/gXzobNaJsW4

This is terrific, thanks for posting! 

On 3/21/2022 at 7:33 PM, MerinSedai said:

Thank you for this! I just finished this part of the book and this helped make it more cohesive. 

Yes.  I think that because the battles in Altara were broken up, that the impact was greatly lessened.  So the awesome factor just wasn't there for some of us.  I never pulled these battles together in my mind because of jumping to other plot lines while reading through the books.

But to be honest, I can't remember the time frame (haven't watched the video yet).  How far apart were the major battles in Altara?  Maybe it made sense to break them up - not everything can be taken in one gulp.

Not saying @Luinedhel is wrong by any means.  But if the Altara battles are spread over weeks or months, is it really a 'moment'?  Been a while since I read these...

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Yes.  I think that because the battles in Altara were broken up, that the impact was greatly lessened.  So the awesome factor just wasn't there for some of us.  I never pulled these battles together in my mind because of jumping to other plot lines while reading through the books.

But to be honest, I can't remember the time frame (haven't watched the video yet).  How far apart were the major battles in Altara?  Maybe it made sense to break them up - not everything can be taken in one gulp.

Not saying @Luinedhel is wrong by any means.  But if the Altara battles are spread over weeks or months, is it really a 'moment'?  Been a while since I read these...

The entire campaign takes place within 6 days, with battles almost every day. It's a short time frame.

Also, thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm planning to make every WoT battle, and in fact, there are some others already on my channel, like Dumai's Wells. So, I would be very happy if you watched them. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Luinedhel said:

The entire campaign takes place within 6 days, with battles almost every day. It's a short time frame.

Also, thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm planning to make every WoT battle, and in fact, there are some others already on my channel, like Dumai's Wells. So, I would be very happy if you watched them. Thanks!

Depending on how many words it took to cover the 6 days, this may have been too much to crunch together.  Hard to know...

5 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Depending on how many words it took to cover the 6 days, this may have been too much to crunch together.  Hard to know...

The fact that the various battles were so close together was intentional - and a big part of their impact to the story.

The timing makes the Seanchan commanders believe Rand's forces are HUGE.  And it baffles them why no evidence of such a huge force had ever been seen, or why it hadn't been brought into play before now to drive them into the sea.