DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Audiobooks

kedryn alan

I started reading the WoT series in 1995. I read the first four or five books that summer and re-read them several times as each new book came out. With the show coming out I decided to delve back in and re-read the first book. But when I saw that they had Rosemund Pike reading the audio book I decided to give that a try. I tend to listen to books to and from work. 

She. Is. Amazing! She brought the book to life. She acted out the book. She became the characters. It was amazing. 

I decided to move on to New Spring (never actually got around to reading it) with Michael Kramer and Kate Reading as the narrators. After finishing the first chapter, I must say I am as disappointed in Mr. Kramer’s effort and output as I was impressed by Ms. Pike’s. He comes across dull and stale. Some pretentious version of “Listen to me read this book for my voice is a gift upon you.”  He speaks/reads in a manner in which I don’t think anyone actually does, placing emphasis in strange spots, awkward vocal inflections at the end of sentences that make it seem like it’s more about him than the book. 

I really hope Ms. Pike does all of the books at some point. Or that they’re re-recorded by someone with a similar ability and approach. I don’t know that I could make it through all 14 books with Mr. Kramer performing. 

• 3 months later...

I listened to the Rosamund Pike version of EOTW and totally agree - she did a brilliant job.

But I didn't want to wait for her to do the rest of the books, so I obtained the Kramer/Reading version from book 2 onwards and felt the same as you.

They are not actors, that's for sure. I thought Kate sounded like a robot, and Michael could have been reading about gangsters or cowboys! But I'm up to ToM now, and I've more or less stopped hearing that. I guess I've become used to it.

The first time MK read "Egeanin" I had no idea what he'd said! It's been a while since I read the books and what he said didn't sound like any character name to me! I just didn't know what he was talking about!

On 6/7/2022 at 11:06 AM, DojoToad said:

Never done an audio book in my life.  Nor an e-book.  Don't mind me, just an old dinosaur passing through...

Some very good ones read by some great orators out there, very handy if driving, or working...Makes weeding the garden of brambles some what less of a pain, not physically of course....

• 2 weeks later...