DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

*dips my toe into the water*

psmith1990

I first read WoT in the 2000s as a teenager and had read everything up until and including Knife of Dreams twice. Then there was a wait before The Gathering Storm. And between release dates, I got distracted. For about fifteen years... (Yes, I recently completed the series only after spoiling myself silly - willingly).

Anyway, I've always primarily been a lurker online, whether on LiveJournal or messageboards or Tumblr, and while I don't expect that to change dramatically, I wanted to at least give myself the chance to respond when I got frustrated or enlivened by something I read on these forums. Started digging into old and current threads after the first few episodes of the television show (which yes, I started watching for A. Nostalgia and B. Rosamund Pike) and thought I'd find myself a chair to settle into. So to speak. 

Other points of interest are non-existent, but the basics: Australian (half-British), early-thirties, very obsessive, reads almost as many books as I buy, and into Mythology, Etymology, Logic and Actresses Playing Sapphic Roles. 

7 minutes ago, Leland said:

Hey welcome.

So what did you think of the series? Have you finished them all?

Hiya.

I did end up finishing, yes! I didn't have the time/energy for a full re-read incorporating the last few books since I found fandom less than three months ago so I Wiki'd to remind myself and then completed by reading the books I hadn't read as a teenager (post-KoD). Not ideal, but my TBR is too long to justify it. I'll probably do a proper re-read to get a better sense of everything later this year, though, I think.

I've never been a big fantasy fan, in truth (especially when there are too many non-human characters and/or not enough women), but I always found the magic system and worldbuilding superior, and whilst I think the construction and depiction of relationships sometimes fell flat for me and some threads of plot wearied me, there's such a wide array of characters that there were many that I latched onto emotionally and thus invested me in the series. 

32 minutes ago, SharSheen Veren said:

Welcome psmith1990!  American (about half UK- English, Irish, Welsh and Scotch)  There are many here on Dragonmount who know so many details of the series so I generally lurk and pop in here and there.  Looking forward to your contributions.  

Thanks! Ha, a veritable blender. My genes are a tad more boring - one grandparent was from Manchester, another from Dundee, and my Mum spend some of her childhood growing up there before moving back here. 

My brain has pretty poor recall on a lot of things, so I'm definitely less likely to go charging into book discussions, tbh; a lot of my reading took place a long time ago and there are many on here who could probably write twenty dissertations on material I forgot even existed... 

21 hours ago, psmith1990 said:

Thanks! Ha, a veritable blender. My genes are a tad more boring - one grandparent was from Manchester, another from Dundee, and my Mum spend some of her childhood growing up there before moving back here. 

My brain has pretty poor recall on a lot of things, so I'm definitely less likely to go charging into book discussions, tbh; a lot of my reading took place a long time ago and there are many on here who could probably write twenty dissertations on material I forgot even existed... 

Yes indeed.  The other 40-45% is French/German and that leaves about 10% Portuguese, Italian and Spanish so besides eastern Europe got that covered.   Some relatives likely came from greater London and Cork County in Ireland.  Of course this is a few generations ago.  Enjoy the day!