DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just Finished Wheel of Time..,

zylok

15 hours ago, zylok said:

I don't know if this is the place to ask.  Was wondering about checking out Brandon Sanderson's work.

Where to start.  Mistborn or Stormlight?

or another suggestion for another epic series.

also was interested in Dark Tower 

any help/suggestions appreciated,

Mistborn is normally the best place to start with Sanderson.

But a Wheel of Time reader can safely start with Stormlight.

Both are awesome, though my favorite is Skyward for reasons I can't explain, really.

But I would recommend taking a week or two off reading.
I also just finished WoT, and new books just don't feel impactful or interesting.

Hello post-book-depression, my old friend. Time to play videogames again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Community Administrator
3 hours ago, Pembie said:

The drescsan files look interesting but they are 20 books so that’s what puts me off

They're short/fast reads.

I finished the entire Dresden series in about ~2 months.

11 hours ago, Pembie said:

Is it good story I heard it’s like Buffy and changes is a good one in series 

It's definitely a fun read. Comparing it to buffy isn't wrong. It's magic & monsters in a modern setting, and the world at large is ignorant of it's existence. (With the caveat, that the main character tells everyone magic & monsters are real, and no one believes em)

Changes is definitely a turning point in young Dresden.

• 3 weeks later...

How many have just reread the series right after they finished?  There is so much detail.  I've done that with detail rich books and never regretted it.  I'm only at Book 4, but I'm even considering rereading the first few books before a good climax book—maybe book 6?.

9 hours ago, Redhunter said:

How many have just reread the series right after they finished?  There is so much detail.  I've done that with detail rich books and never regretted it.  I'm only at Book 4, but I'm even considering rereading the first few books before a good climax book—maybe book 6?.

I have not done that.  But whether I wait 6 months or a couple years, I always enjoy the next read.  As you said, the detail is fantastic.  A lot of time I hunt for errors/inconsistencies but as Easter Eggs, not to put down the series.

• 2 weeks later...

The only books I have re-read are Lord of the Rings, Dune and R Scott Bakkers series. 

So Wheel of Time joins a very select few books that I have decided on a re-read (although I will be re-reading David Gemmels collected works at some point).

On 5/25/2022 at 8:42 AM, SinisterDeath said:

It's definitely a fun read. Comparing it to buffy isn't wrong. It's magic & monsters in a modern setting, and the world at large is ignorant of it's existence. (With the caveat, that the main character tells everyone magic & monsters are real, and no one believes em)

Changes is definitely a turning point in young Dresden.

Looking at some reviews on Amazon for Dresden.

One that caught my eye said that the books are repetitive.  Same character solving a new mystery over and over.  He gets knocked unconscious very often.  Often gets walked in on while naked, or he walks in on someone else naked.  My take from the review - basically a grown-up version of the Hardy Boys with monsters/magic thrown in.

Do you consider that accurate?  I liked reading the Hardy Boy books 40 years ago, but even as a young pre-teen the repetition got too much.  Basically a similar plot with a different location, different 'treasure', different escape from the bad guy...  After 20 books the pattern became apparent even to my slow, underdeveloped mind.  And there were over 50 at the time I was reading them.

I loved the book 'Neverwhere' and was hoping to find some other urban fantasy.  But I'm worried I won't like it because of the repetition factor.

So, @SinisterDeath, did you find it to be repetitive?  Or, some repetition, but still worth reading 10 books later - or however many you've read?

21 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

So, @SinisterDeath, did you find it to be repetitive?  Or, some repetition, but still worth reading 10 books later - or however many you've read?

The first few books in the series could be considered repetitive in that way. But the series evolves. The character evolves, and grows.

He very much goes from an immature man in his ~30s/40s obsessed with boobs and being a sexist prick, to a more mature man who's seen some stuff, and is starting to learn that he doesn't have to be a prick.

I never got into the Hardy Boys, but I have read most of the Dirk Pitt Novels, and I believe that's what that review is comparing it to... and I'd say no. It's not THAT repetitive. 
It's not repetitive like an average season of CSI.

The series doesn't recycle the same story like a certain prolific author that basically copy pastes names and places into a template...

At no point in the series have I ever gone "Huh, I feel like I've read this book before".

@DojoToad, no. It’s not like that at all, IMO. Like any detective story, there are similar story beats, but none of it feels repetitive in a bad or distracting way. 

Some of the “repetition” is character driven. Harry has to overcome his flaws, one of which is having a tendency to react predictably. It’s a theme. 

But the characters are the strength of the story. And the plots are secondary to watching how Harry grows and changes in relationship to the people around him.  It really is well done. 9/10. 

19 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I mean pulp romance can only have so many permutations …

True, but there is a difference between sticking with a "procedural formula" (CSI), and using a fill-in-the-blank template.

I'd imagine its entirely plausible authors like that could create a bunch of template paragraphs, that they can copy/paste into a word document and fill in the blanks, and many fans might not even notice/care. 😉

As an aside, Steele has written ~141 novels (190 books). She's been writing since 1973 (49 years). That's 2.8 novels a year. (Or 3.8 if you include all her books)

Brandon Sanderson has been writing since 2005 (17 years), and has 33? novels. That's nearly ~2 novels a  year. (More if you consider all his short stories/novellas! (62/17=3.6 "books" a year)

What I'm saying is... BS is a beast when it comes to his writing pace.

Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) is sitting at (24/22) ~1 book a year for the last 22 years.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2022 at 9:41 PM, whiskey delta said:

How did you enjoy the ending of the Wheel of Time? I have been thinking about reading AMoL another time 

Loved the books, but TV show let me down, hoping season 2 gets the wheel turning properly 

I finished Mistborn, & the Dark Tower 

Took a break from the Genre for a couple of books, read some Lee Child Books.  Jack Reacher stuff.  these were actually good 

just for something different.

I think i'm gonna start Stormlight,   Unless there is something else out there.

Also was wondering if Stormlight is finished?

Edited by zylok