DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 aggregate Ratings.

Andra

1 hour ago, Jake Sykwalker said:

I honestly think this was Amazon's attempt to create positive buzz for the show.  This is my opinion, but they probably test marketed the whole 8 episodes and got terrible feedback from audiences.  This is why the released the first 3 episodes at once.  To try and drive up the positive ratings and good will of the show.  It would then fuel an artificial wave they could ride to not lose money.  

If you look at the ratings sites this seems to hold true.  On Amazon, IMDB, and RT they have steadily been declining in ratings as people view the show.  The only reason they are above 7 in some areas (besides the TON of fake 5 and 10 star reviews) is they were flooded with people who watched the first couple of episodes and came away thinking the show was ok.  If you look at recent reviews the vast majority of them are negative and have meaningful feedback.  The positive reviews are 1 liners are are a dwindling percentage. 

Throw in an early announcement to renewing the show and it makes the positive buzz last longer. 

I looked up the reviews on Amazon a few days ago.  The earliest reviews included a ridiculous number of five-star ratings, many at a time the reviewers couldn't possibly have actually watched anything.  The vast majority of the reviews since the season ended are one- or two-star ratings.  Many lamented the fact that Amazon doesn't allow zero-star ratings.

If you exclude those early reviews from people who didn't actually watch, their average would be about a 1.75.

43 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

Lots of those 1star ratings were from people who didn't watch too.  And the site was actively spammed.  Ratings for this show aren't nearly as good a measure as for shows before this year because this is the year of accusations of wokeness.  It's a theme.

Actually, most of the reviews that I saw that gave low ratings mentioned specific things from the show.  Indicating that they had actually watched.

I'm sure there are some complaining about "wokeness" that didn't actually watch.  But based on the timing at the beginning, there were far more of those early high ratings that couldn't have watched.

Also - if you look at many of the commenters here that object to those same things, they have all actually watched.

One thing that I do see however is people defending the changes to the show by dismissing legitimate criticism as nothing but "anti-woke" bigotry.

It's a theme.

9 hours ago, Andra said:

One thing that I do see however is people defending the changes to the show by dismissing legitimate criticism as nothing but "anti-woke" bigotry.

It's a theme.

Like everything, it's not as black and white as many like to claim (on both "sides", though I don't like characterising it in that way). There are, without a doubt in my mind, plenty of criticisms that are coming from a place where people are angry about things said before the show was aired, and everything within the show is a confirmation of those concerns. By the same token, in trying to defend the show as a whole I think some are not acknowledging that some problems within the show definitely stem from ideas that Rafe and the writers had going in to the production (I am certainly guilty of this). 

I'd suggest that there are likely just as many 1 star reviews where they could not possibly have watched the show as there are 5 star reviews. The extremes will always be pretty vocal. But I think there's nuance to it all. 

The show is middle of the road for S1. It's not as good as it could have been, but it's not a dumpster fire either. There's potential there going forward imo but there are definitely fundamental problems that need to be addressed. 

• Community Administrator
9 hours ago, Andra said:

Actually, most of the reviews that I saw that gave low ratings mentioned specific things from the show.  Indicating that they had actually watched.

I'm sure there are some complaining about "wokeness" that didn't actually watch.  But based on the timing at the beginning, there were far more of those early high ratings that couldn't have watched.

Those are some mighty strong statements asserting what is and isn't true. Perhaps you need to go through every single 1 & 5 star rating and weed out the clearly didn't watch from the clearly did watch, and adjust the total rating from there?

9 hours ago, Andra said:

It's a theme.

It was also a theme that many of the same people who hate watched the show, left vitriolic comments on every social media platform, also subscribe anti-woke politics & actively cheered on the participants of Jan 6th.

As you just saw, we can all make broad comments that serve no purpose other than to trigger a rage educing response from the other side, instead of just you know, thinking about what we type to craft a nuanced discussion.